Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
@Michael I've been here for a while now and just re-read the founding principles and you definitely nailed it! I'm so thankful I found this Site and look forwarding to using all that I've learned here this Fall. I've always been into Overlanding but never knew there was a whole community of support out there! 2020 has been a tough year, I had Spring Overlanding trips canceled because our reservations in Stat Parks were canceled because of Covid. I had planned to finally attend an Overland Expo this year and those too were canceled. Regardless I look forward to the Fall weather getting here and getting back out there following the principles I've learned here. Thanks again for Site, it really is awesome!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael I've been here for a while now and just re-read the founding principles and you definitely nailed it! I'm so thankful I found this Site and look forwarding to using all that I've learned here this Fall. I've always been into Overlanding but never knew there was a whole community of support out there! 2020 has been a tough year, I had Spring Overlanding trips canceled because our reservations in Stat Parks were canceled because of Covid. I had planned to finally attend an Overland Expo this year and those too were canceled. Regardless I look forward to the Fall weather getting here and getting back out there following the principles I've learned here. Thanks again for Site, it really is awesome!
Thank you so much for being involved here! During a tough year the community helped keep many of us grounded, including me. I hope you hit the trails soon, and have a great adventure!

Reactions: Maui

Contributor I

Spring, Texas
First Name
Autumn
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Welcome!

I'm Michael and I accidentally created Overland Bound. I'm a backwoods country bumpkin from a town of 360 people. Seriously, my grade school was 70 kids TOTAL. My mom was the school nurse. We walked to the country store a mile away, and bought groceries "on the tab". The store owner knew the School District paid on the first of the month and my mom got paid every 30 days. It was fine. There was trust.

Now, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. To this day I do not lock my car, and we leave the front door of our home unlocked. I assume noble intent.

Growing up, my Dad was a U.S. Forest Ranger. He worked in the Sierras in the lookouts watching for forest fires. His love for the outdoors created my childhood, and natural comfort with surviving in the great outdoors. We back-packed, we went for walks to review plant names and uses. We hunted. Nature was everything.

I lost touch with this connection as I grew older. My career became my primary focus. I worked for Paramount Pictures, Electronic Arts and ran my own businesses in digital entertainment, it created a deficit that was building.

My 30s brought on marriage, 2 (awesome) kids, and then divorce. I found myself at the age of 40, divorced, My father passed at the same time, and I was unemployed. I was grasping for my roots. I took my 3 year-old son and 5 year old daughter to visit my hometown. It was a good, necessary anchor. On the drive home, my fast-paced-life-bought BMW 325i convertible got stuck in the snow. I watched my gas gauge go down to empty with the heater on, and wondered how I would keep my kids warm when the engine died. Luckily, CHP rescued us before that happened. It all came together in that moment. I needed to be comfortable again in the great outdoors. I would ALWAYS have a capable vehicle to get me there. The low point created an involuntary need to get away. I reacted like a primitive animal. I needed to escape. To connect with the great outdoors. Overland Bound was born.

I bought the FJ80, threw shit in the back, and drove into the Sierras. I was ill-prepared, but relied on what I had learned growing up. The result was absolute freedom. To this day, I do one solo trip a year. I bark at the trees, howl at the moon, and eliminate all stimulus besides me, my rig, and nature. I realized not everyone is as comfortable or knowledgeable as me in the great outdoors, and I have taken it for granted. Everyone needs to feel that connection to truly live.

I met Ms. Overland Bound, and she became a natural partner in all things adventure. She got to know me as a man who demanded this life, and loved me all the more for it (Corrie can tell you her story about her love for Overlanding.)

I want as many people as possible to experience self-sufficiency in the great outdoors. I want to make it accessible and attainable for everyone, without feeling easy. You can do it, but the very nature of existing off the grid makes us human. It should feel challenging, because it is. You can do it. Overland Bound will become as big as we can make it as a community. I believe it's possible to make a positive change in the world, and I believe we have started. I want as many people as possible to feel the freedom and self-reliance only a connection with the great outdoors can bring. Here is what Overland Bound believes:
  1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. We will not further define "overlanding".
  2. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an overland vehicle is that it serves the job required, safely.
  3. We believe a connection with the uncivilized, unpredictable, and awe-inspiring wilderness is essential to human existence. Adventure is not optional.
  4. We leave it better than we found it.
  5. The requirements of the trip define "Dependable", and we take that very seriously.
  6. You are an Overlander. Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature.
  7. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  8. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  9. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements.
  10. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. Help.
  11. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  12. We DO NOT engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  13. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  14. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  15. We don’t brag about exploits at the expense of others.
  16. We support those seeking answers, understanding we all start somewhere.
  17. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  18. We have fun.
These are the core values I want Overland Bound to stand for, and I’m excited to keep spreading the word about the overlanding lifestyle. I want you to spread the word too. You are saving lives.

Thanks for being a part of this journey!

Outfit & Explore

Podcast: "The Beginning"
Thank you so much! Excited to be a part of the community!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This sounds like a great place for me! Thanks

Hello Don. Welcome to Overland Bound.
I am the Northwest Director. @Gabriel Bozeman is your closest member representative.

To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).

Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.

Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.

Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.

Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.

Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.

Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.

Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.

Lastly, we have a monthly conference call on the third Sunday of the month starting November 15th, 2020 at 19:30 hours Pacific Time. I encourage everyone to participate in these calls as we mentor each other on various topics. November we are discussing Portable Power options.

Inland Northwest Monthly Conference Call

Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome Daniel and hope to see you on the trails.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

Reactions: Keatonsmith

Keatonsmith

Rank II

Enthusiast I

17577 Mountain Springs Ave, Nampa, Idaho 83687, United States
First Name
Keaton
Last Name
Smith
Member #

This year has been a dark one. To some extent, the wilderness has always called me. I found the overland bound YouTube channel, and instantly could feel the positive and community focused vibe. Even in delivery and explanation of things that I am unfamiliar with, it felt “home”. It feels “safe” to learn in this environment vs others.

One of the values I think I’m going to struggle with the most is learning how to keep things simple, and not “overpack”.

In the meantime, I’m using what I got - my 1998 Ford Expedition XLT, and will do my best to keep it simple, and safely progress through this journey. I LOVE that I can pull up next to a tricked out rig while I’m in my stock 98 expo and no judgement will be had.

Thanks for making something special. Arrived in my life when I needed it most.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
One of the values I think I’m going to struggle with the most is learning how to keep things simple, and not “overpack”.
Let me know when you get that one figured out :) It is just too easy to fill that extra space with something "that we might need". For me keeping an internal inventory of what actually gets used and what does not is a starting place.
Glad you found OB; it has been a blessing for many many in these times - especially myself.

Keatonsmith

Rank II

Enthusiast I

17577 Mountain Springs Ave, Nampa, Idaho 83687, United States
First Name
Keaton
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Let me know when you get that one figured out :) It is just too easy to fill that extra space with something "that we might need". For me keeping an internal inventory of what actually gets used and what does not is a starting place.
Glad you found OB; it has been a blessing for many many in these times - especially myself.
That’s a great tip. I’ve been trying that same thing with my clothes. It would be interesting to see what I actually use over time versus what I think I might need - (which is usually driven by fear and uncertainty.) I’m loving the idea of setting up my expo to be ready and packed at all times for any trip or adventure.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion!

Reactions: Corrie and Ubiety

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

This year has been a dark one. To some extent, the wilderness has always called me. I found the overland bound YouTube channel, and instantly could feel the positive and community focused vibe. Even in delivery and explanation of things that I am unfamiliar with, it felt “home”. It feels “safe” to learn in this environment vs others.

In the meantime, I’m using what I got - my 1998 Ford Expedition XLT, and will do my best to keep it simple, and safely progress through this journey. I LOVE that I can pull up next to a tricked out rig while I’m in my stock 98 expo and no judgement will be had.

Thanks for making something special. Arrived in my life when I needed it most.
Thank you for the kind words, and so happy we have been able to help you during these strange days!

argyle

Rank III

Contributor III

Holliston, MA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Lenza
Member #

My first post, in response to where I'm supposed to start. The personal story about the root of overland bound is really compelling to me - many similarities with my own story. Appreciate the candor and humanity of your post, @Michael - I'm excited to read up and familiarize myself with the community. Nice to be here.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
My first post, in response to where I'm supposed to start. The personal story about the root of overland bound is really compelling to me - many similarities with my own story. Appreciate the candor and humanity of your post, @Michael - I'm excited to read up and familiarize myself with the community. Nice to be here.
Welcome! Thank you for being here and checking things out. Sometimes what we need is a little time to get away and think. It can be that simple.

Reactions: argyle

basics

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon
First Name
Steve
Last Name
A
Getting time away is great, and I share the same values as to what this site is about. Looking forward to joining.

m.jw.brown

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Redondo Beach, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brown
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
Welcome!

I'm Michael and I accidentally created Overland Bound. I'm a backwoods country bumpkin from a town of 360 people. Seriously, my grade school was 70 kids TOTAL. My mom was the school nurse. We walked to the country store a mile away, and bought groceries "on the tab". The store owner knew the School District paid on the first of the month and my mom got paid every 30 days. It was fine. There was trust.

Now, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. To this day I do not lock my car, and we leave the front door of our home unlocked. I assume noble intent.

Growing up, my Dad was a U.S. Forest Ranger. He worked in the Sierras in the lookouts watching for forest fires. His love for the outdoors created my childhood, and natural comfort with surviving in the great outdoors. We back-packed, we went for walks to review plant names and uses. We hunted. Nature was everything.

I lost touch with this connection as I grew older. My career became my primary focus. I worked for Paramount Pictures, Electronic Arts and ran my own businesses in digital entertainment, it created a deficit that was building.

My 30s brought on marriage, 2 (awesome) kids, and then divorce. I found myself at the age of 40, divorced, My father passed at the same time, and I was unemployed. I was grasping for my roots. I took my 3 year-old son and 5 year old daughter to visit my hometown. It was a good, necessary anchor. On the drive home, my fast-paced-life-bought BMW 325i convertible got stuck in the snow. I watched my gas gauge go down to empty with the heater on, and wondered how I would keep my kids warm when the engine died. Luckily, CHP rescued us before that happened. It all came together in that moment. I needed to be comfortable again in the great outdoors. I would ALWAYS have a capable vehicle to get me there. The low point created an involuntary need to get away. I reacted like a primitive animal. I needed to escape. To connect with the great outdoors. Overland Bound was born.

I bought the FJ80, threw shit in the back, and drove into the Sierras. I was ill-prepared, but relied on what I had learned growing up. The result was absolute freedom. To this day, I do one solo trip a year. I bark at the trees, howl at the moon, and eliminate all stimulus besides me, my rig, and nature. I realized not everyone is as comfortable or knowledgeable as me in the great outdoors, and I have taken it for granted. Everyone needs to feel that connection to truly live.

I met Ms. Overland Bound, and she became a natural partner in all things adventure. She got to know me as a man who demanded this life, and loved me all the more for it (Corrie can tell you her story about her love for Overlanding.)

I want as many people as possible to experience self-sufficiency in the great outdoors. I want to make it accessible and attainable for everyone, without feeling easy. You can do it, but the very nature of existing off the grid makes us human. It should feel challenging, because it is. You can do it. Overland Bound will become as big as we can make it as a community. I believe it's possible to make a positive change in the world, and I believe we have started. I want as many people as possible to feel the freedom and self-reliance only a connection with the great outdoors can bring. Here is what Overland Bound believes:
  1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. We will not further define "overlanding".
  2. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an overland vehicle is that it serves the job required, safely.
  3. We believe a connection with the uncivilized, unpredictable, and awe-inspiring wilderness is essential to human existence. Adventure is not optional.
  4. We leave it better than we found it.
  5. The requirements of the trip define "Dependable", and we take that very seriously.
  6. You are an Overlander. Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature.
  7. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  8. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  9. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements.
  10. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. Help.
  11. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  12. We DO NOT engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  13. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  14. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  15. We don’t brag about exploits at the expense of others.
  16. We support those seeking answers, understanding we all start somewhere.
  17. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  18. We have fun.
These are the core values I want Overland Bound to stand for, and I’m excited to keep spreading the word about the overlanding lifestyle. I want you to spread the word too. You are saving lives.

Thanks for being a part of this journey!

Outfit & Explore

Podcast: "The Beginning"
Hello, Thanks for accepting newbies. I am looking forward to getting out there. One thing 2020 has taught me is that we have limited time on this earth and sitting inside and binging Netflix or Amazon videos should not be as high on the list as getting back in touch with nature and exploring. This seems like an awesome community.

Tacomama

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Hays, Texas, USA
First Name
Paige
Last Name
Oliverio
Member #

I wish it was just around the corner! its only about a 21 hour drive for me to get out near joshua tree :(

28+ hours to get to san fran too
Haha TxTerra, before seeing your username I was about to say with those hours - must be from Texas. Look forward to connecting. Perhaps Cali CAN seem like it's just around the corner with the right trip planned. <3

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Haha TxTerra, before seeing your username I was about to say with those hours - must be from Texas. Look forward to connecting. Perhaps Cali CAN seem like it's just around the corner with the right trip planned. <3
I do believe you’re about a stones throw away from me.

Reactions: Tacomama
Status
Not open for further replies.