Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

And now with added side steps!

I modified a Brophy scissor step and welded some tabs to one of the side bars. Now we can just pin the steps on when we're camping, and fold them up and strap them on the cook box for travel/storage.step 1.jpgstep2.jpgstep3.jpg

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Been busy. Cleaned up the side bars and welded expanded metal in the step areas, painted them with POR 15 and Herculiner (really rough texture, like 36 grit!).

Installed front and rear sway bars from an F350. The back was easy, bolted right to the axle (I used F350 axles), just need to cut and flip the end links. The front was trickier, had to build a stand off mount.

Since I had the bumper off to get inside the front frame rails (to insert the tabbed bolts for the sway bar mount), HH6 "suggested" I clean up the bumper and paint it. So that happened.

And since I had the bumper off, and the horns are right there, and since the horn don't work, might as well fix that. Two new horns and I'm in business.

Put some pins on the roof rack to mount traction boards.

I'll put the bumper back on tomorrow, that will give the paint two days of drying time, setting in the sun out in front of the house.

June 13th I'll be at Alcan getting the new rear springs, and in July she's getting a workout in eastern Idaho!steps4.jpgfront bar.jpg

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Been busy. Cleaned up the side bars and welded expanded metal in the step areas, painted them with POR 15 and Herculiner (really rough texture, like 36 grit!).

Installed front and rear sway bars from an F350. The back was easy, bolted right to the axle (I used F350 axles), just need to cut and flip the end links. The front was trickier, had to build a stand off mount.

Since I had the bumper off to get inside the front frame rails (to insert the tabbed bolts for the sway bar mount), HH6 "suggested" I clean up the bumper and paint it. So that happened.

And since I had the bumper off, and the horns are right there, and since the horn don't work, might as well fix that. Two new horns and I'm in business.

Put some pins on the roof rack to mount traction boards.

I'll put the bumper back on tomorrow, that will give the paint two days of drying time, setting in the sun out in front of the house.

June 13th I'll be at Alcan getting the new rear springs, and in July she's getting a workout in eastern Idaho!View attachment 279736View attachment 279737
Nice work looks great! What coil spring air bags are those? I could use a little help on the front of my van already did the drop bracket similar to yours for the front sway bar.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Nice work looks great! What coil spring air bags are those? I could use a little help on the front of my van already did the drop bracket similar to yours for the front sway bar.
Airlift, I forget the number but they're the universal kit, by spring size.

Seriously woke up the front suspension for me.

Reactions: MSD

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Heading for AlCan Springs in Grand Junction tomorrow. I finally have the build close enough to complete that I think the weight is established. Trip ready I'm at 4860 on the back axle, so they built me a set of 5000 pound springs, with 5" of lift (to eliminate the blocks that are in there now). Going to look everything over one last time today before I head out.

I could just blast down there and back, but you know, why? I'm retired. I'm going to make a trip out of this. Taking the camera and a fishing rod. Hopefully I end up using both of them quite a bit!

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Got'em! Alcan springs are the way to go. Rides so much better, feels more solid, and it seems like I have better bite on washboard gravel roads.

The folks at Alcan are great to deal with. They kept me informed about everything involved in this deal and answered any questions I had. If you want good springs that fit your purposes, call Lew. The more information you give him (weight, lift, use, etc.), the better results you get.

I went from stock springs with lift blocks to 5" lift springs built to the weight of the van

.alcan trip11.jpgalcan trip10.jpg

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: GLOCKer and Blu12T