Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Put some AT tires on it and get a few totes for the gear. I would get a CO2 air tank or a good air compressor so you can air down and back up. For Moderate trails a stock 4x4 suburban will get you into most places just fine.

Then figure out just how much stuff you want or do not want to take. I would pick up a 12 volt fridge I have an inexpensive 37 qt but if you want to go a week I would pick up a 64 qt or something around that size.

To start with just take what you have a go camping and by all means look around at some of the build threads on this site to see what you like... Just getting out camping with what you have will help you figure out what you want to add to your set up. There are a lot of Tahoes and Suburbans that have some pretty cool stuff on them. Check out my build thread in my signature below and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I look forward to see what you do.

Reactions: 79burban

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evant, Texas, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Put some AT tires on it and get a few totes for the gear. I would get a CO2 air tank or a good air compressor so you can air down and back up. For Moderate trails a stock 4x4 suburban will get you into most places just fine.

Then figure out just how much stuff you want or do not want to take. I would pick up a 12 volt fridge I have an inexpensive 37 qt but if you want to go a week I would pick up a 64 qt or something around that size.

To start with just take what you have a go camping and by all means look around at some of the build threads on this site to see what you like... Just getting out camping with what you have will help you figure out what you want to add to your set up. There are a lot of Tahoes and Suburbans that have some pretty cool stuff on them. Check out my build thread in my signature below and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I look forward to see what you do.
Thank you for the advice, it’s already got a small lift and 31” AT’s on it, how long can you last with your 37 qt if just you by yourself

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Nice rig. Mine’s not quite that old.

Btw, we’ve had a couple of weekend trips up your way recently. Camping at both Oxford ranch and sulphur springs. Lots of dirt roads out there. @Mrprotaganist @Roots66
I actually work closer to Sulphur springs that I live, I’m in San Saba most the time

Reactions: Sparksalot

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Thank you for the advice, it’s already got a small lift and 31” AT’s on it, how long can you last with your 37 qt if just you by yourself
It really depends on what you are eating I have done 4 days with no problem. One thing I do is I carry a smaller ice chest with all my drinks in it, this will last about 4 days. After that I will have more room in the fridge if I want to cool any more drinks down.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Square body Chevs are a favorite of mine, there's so much you can do with them, I've been involved in a few builds. That guy being an old school 3/4 ton you won't have much to worry about drive train wise. You should be running a Dana 44 front axle and the full floating 10.5" rear diff. If it's an auto trans you should have a TH400 and a 205 transfer case. Are you running a big block or small block for engine? And what's You skill level for mechanical work and fabrication?

You basically have what I want to have for the basis of my dream build.

I'm going to bring in the 2 old school Chevy guys I know on here @AmericaMike @Rusty burbin

Last edited:

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Square body Chevs are a favorite of mine, there's so much you can do with them, I've been involved in a few builds. That guy being an old school 3/4 ton you won't have much to worry about drive train wise. You should be running a Dana 44 front axle and the full floating 10.5" rear diff. If it's an auto trans you should have a TH400 and a 205 transfer case. You basically have what I want to have for the basis of my dream build.
I'm going to bring in the 2 old school Chevy guys I know on here @AmericaMike @Rusty burbin
I know it is a 400 ci sbc, it has the th400 transmission, but I’m not sure about transfer case and axles as of yet

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I know it is a 400 ci sbc, it has the th400 transmission, but I’m not sure about transfer case and axles as of yet
The late 70s 3/4 tons run the 44 front and 10.5 rear. Being a small block it will probably be running 4.10 gears. For the transfer case it will be a 205 unless it's full time 4x4 but I don't think a rig that old will be running the 203 case. Anyway, you have a great foundation. Just be sure to keep that 400 cool. Those engines don't have water jackets between every other cylinder ( called Siamese cylinders) so they are prone to over heating and cracking heads. But so long as you keep them cool they are a great engine.

Last edited:

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

The late 70s 3/4 tons run the 44 front and 10.5 rear. Being a small block it will probably be running 4.10 gears. For the transfer case it will be a 205 unless it's full time 4x4 but I don't think a rig that old will be running the 203 case. Anyway, you have a great foundation. Just be sure to keep that 400 cool. Those engines don't have water jackets between every other cylinder ( called Siamese cylinders) so they are prone to over heating and cracking heads. But so long as you keep them cool they are a great engine.
I do believe it would be the 203, the transfer case only has high/high lock, neutral, low/low lock, as for keeping cool, I’m going to pull heads and look to see if Previous owners installed correct parts, person I’ve bought it from told me it was a 350, casting numbers on driver rear of block indicate 400 so I have some investigating to do

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Ok yeah if it list hi hi lock etc. then it's a 203. I wasn't sure when they started running those.

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I'm not sure either, but the visor still shows the factory 4x4 instructions, little hard to read these days, but still cool to have, I'll have to find out if the axles have been modified any when I get the chance

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I really like the 203 case. If yours is in working order, it will serve you well. The problems arise from finding service parts these days. Most places only carry rebuild kits for the reduction housing due to its wide use in doublers.

Your biggest limitations will come from gear ratio. 2:1 in the Tcase is pretty mediocre for anything more technical than trail running. And compensating with lower (numerically higher) axle gears bites you on the highway with your lack of overdrive.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Well if you want to get more extreme you already have half of a double T case set up. The adapters are a bit of money but you just split the 203 case in half and bolt it up to a 205 transfer case. If you do this I would twin stick the 205 so you can run on just one axle at a time. This will allow you to plumb in cutting brakes on the rear axle (so you can lock just one rear wheel, when I did this I used line lock solenoids) then kick the rear axle into neutral and the front axle into low range, then you just crank the steering wheel and the truck will pivot on the one rear wheel. Its awesome seeing a full sized negotiate trails that give Jeeps a hard time.
Honestly if you are just into mild trails things I would do first. Just give the rig a good once over, change all fluids adjust linkages, spark plugs, cap rotor, wires, etc. I would also be sure to change coolant and the thermostat with it being a 400. Also if you can handle it being down for a bit I would be tempted to pull the radiator and have it flow tested and cleaned by a shop.
I would also be wanting to shave the rear differential. The 10.5" rear diff has a casting tag off of the bottom that will hang you up a lot. Take a grinder to the bottom and make it smooth. Basically the goal here is to get rid of the lip there so the axle can slide over rocks rather than get hung up on them. Next thing I would do is check your wheels. If they are 16.5s youll want to get them changed out. The 16.5" wheel doesnt have as good an inner bead so they are notorious for loosing the bead when aired down. 16" wheels will clear the brake calipers, but check on tire prices. When I was doing builds we always ran 15" wheels and just ground down the brake calipers a little bit to clear because were tons more options and for less money in a 15" wheel. Another maintenance item that is often overlooked are the front wheel bearings, they are supposed to be repacked and adjusted every 30K or so. It takes a special socket to pull the hub but its not much money and readily available.

Reactions: M Rose and TexasGMG

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I'm not sure either, but the visor still shows the factory 4x4 instructions, little hard to read these days, but still cool to have, I'll have to find out if the axles have been modified any when I get the chance
Yeah, the funny thing about old school Chevys, you dont always know what you have. One of the biggest reasons they are such great rigs is the interchangeability. Unfortunately with that comes a necessity of knowledge so you can identify the major components like axles, transmission, transfer case, and engine so you know youre getting the right parts.
I am seriously envious of you guys running old school Suburbans that are in decent shape. Like I have said an old 3/4ton Sub is my dream overland rig. If I were to build one it would be on 35s, locked front and rear, double transfer cases, 400 auto, running a 4BT Cummins (though as long as we are dreaming my real dream power plant would be a 4-71T Detroit). Someday...

79burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Not sure if I want to double case it, although it would be fun, I have a second vehicle, so right now this isn’t my everyday driver, not till I get all the week spots checked and fixed if needed, I know I need new front floor pans, not good when you look down in the floor while driving and see the road, I’ll definitely deal with the rear diff, I’m already running 15”, I had somebody willing to sell me set of 16.5” mil spec Humvee rims for dirt cheap, and thought about it, but haven’t been looking at that yet, And I will definitely be checking the front bangs.
Thank you for all the advice on this it’s great to have someone that knows more about these than I do, this information is really going to help.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Yeah, if you ever get in a bind shoot me a message and I can give you my phone number. I'm more than willing to talk you through stuff on the phone.