Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Marshalltown. Iowa
First Name
Quinten
Last Name
Guevara
Member #

I am heading to Oklahoma the first week of January for a small vacation and get away. Anyone In the area have suggestions on where to go? And is there a group in the area I could ride with?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If you want mountains and trails stick to the far eastern side of Oklahoma. If you want plains and dirt roads the rest of oklahoma is for you.
By groups there are plenty of jeep and Toyota clubs that go up there. Other than when people on here get together for trips there isn't a whole lot of mixing of vehicle types on the trails, Most go solo.

Queco

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Marshalltown. Iowa
First Name
Quinten
Last Name
Guevara
Member #

Very nice. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was hoping to go with a friend but he decided his Jeep wasn’t ready. But we’re staying near Choctaw area. But will probably go a few spots.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Can't go wrong exploring the ouachita nf , start in broken bow and work your way north by north east. You'd be fine solo id offer to come up but i wil be tournament fishing again by then. If your looking for something harder and more rock crawler oriented but there would likely be other people go up to Disney oklahoma below the dam.

Queco

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Marshalltown. Iowa
First Name
Quinten
Last Name
Guevara
Member #

A solo trip I might turn out to be. We have definitely looked at the national forest.  The K Trail? Just not sure what to expect with weather last time I was there they got several inches of snow. 

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I just looked at my schedule and we might be able to pop up to broken bow for a day depending on when you'll be up there. We could ride with you on some trails for the day if you don't mind riding with a chevy colorado. We don't have a tournament till the 20th

K trail isn't worth it anymore the good western half has been closed for a few years now and the eastern half is boring

Reactions: Downs

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Justin has you pointed in the right direction.
Only thing "near" the city are some pay to play parks.
If you are heading to SE Oklahoma you might think of heading over to Arkansas as well since it has more of the Ouachita NF as well as the Ozark NF.

Reactions: Iwata77 and Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Look up the "Oklahoma Adventure Trail". It'll have a decent route though eastern Oklahoma that runs though the Ouchita NF. Any where around that section of the route will be good for exploring and dispersed camping the NF areas. If you're looking for a little bit of a challenge and don't mind tree pinstripping check out NF route 6033 that runs though the Beach Creek Botanical area.

If you're interested in a GAIA waypoint for the southern start of 6033 hit me up via PM and I'll send you the link. Its about 7 or 8 miles long and will take a few hours if you're as slow as folks in my local Jeep club lol.

BlueGoblin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, TX, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Mark
Greetings,

I live in Dallas Fort Worth. I am thinking about heading up to Davis, OK at the Crossbar Ranch to start my loop. I have a 3 year toddler (good with long trips) and wife. With a moderate pace how many days do you estimate (or guestimate) this will take?