Oklahoma overlanders where ya at?

• HTML tutorial

JCBigler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chouteau, OK
Member #

We should try and do a meetup and knock out the whole OAT in a weekend. Also Some pics of the camp setup from last weekends Social Distancing!View attachment 148607
View attachment 148608
View attachment 148605
Nice set up.

I want to do the OAT as soon as the shut down is over and we can travel. I also want to throw in a side trip to Black Mesa to finish out a trip that we didn't have enough time to make from a few years ago.

I've been looking at the OAT in Google Earth. I'm thinking it would take a good solid week to do.

I'm out of work until August so I need to get out of the house and clear my head once the shut down is over. My daughter wants to go, my wife is 50/50 right now.

Reactions: r_horner

JCBigler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chouteau, OK
Member #

This may be a silly question, but I'm not familiar with "OAT". Can you tell me what that is?
Here's a Google Earth picture of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. I took off all the way points and markers to make the route easier to see. It's something like 1,700 miles.

OAT-Google Earth.jpg

And the Google Earth KML file that I made.

Attachments

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Nice set up.

I want to do the OAT as soon as the shut down is over and we can travel. I also want to throw in a side trip to Black Mesa to finish out a trip that we didn't have enough time to make from a few years ago.

I've been looking at the OAT in Google Earth. I'm thinking it would take a good solid week to do.

I'm out of work until August so I need to get out of the house and clear my head once the shut down is over. My daughter wants to go, my wife is 50/50 right now.
the small section that we did awhile back was more fun than we expected. There was quite a bit of stuff to see along the way (ft washita/Denton dam/texoma/carpenters bluff bridge/multiple other old bridges) that made our section from sulphur to Boswell take about 7 hours. We also stop for photos of things along the way as we have that hobby too.

until it changes, we are hoping to meander along it the first week of May. Stopping/camping as we find the sites along the way. With no real intention of trying to finish it in that week. However, I’m sure there are many section of just cruising along from what I’ve seen in my maps as well. so those may go quick.

Betsy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Glencoe, Payne County, OK, USA
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Matlock
Member #

Here's a Google Earth picture of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. I took off all the way points and markers to make the route easier to see. It's something like 1,700 miles.

View attachment 148635

I've never heard of it and I've lived in OK a long time. Learn something new every day! Thank you for sharing that with me. That would be a neat way to explore more of Oklahoma.

Coop17510

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Purcell, OK, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I am aware of the current concerns going on around the world. At this point due to lack of commitment/interest, and the general safety of any and all involved I am thinking that the event needs to be postponed until a later date when the world is not freaking out and running out of TP.
Hello I just seen this and hope this is something maybe this fall.

Oklamopar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest City, OK, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Kono
Member #

View attachment 148635

Ive done the section from bartlesville to great salt plains in 2 seperate sections. started around stillwater both times.1 day for each section, our average speed was around 13mph. We were enjoying the journey. The next section on my list is from I-40 down to Hugo. With a stop around broken bow to finish my exploration of the Forestry trails.

JCBigler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chouteau, OK
Member #

Ive done the section from bartlesville to great salt plains in 2 seperate sections. started around stillwater both times.1 day for each section, our average speed was around 13mph. We were enjoying the journey. The next section on my list is from I-40 down to Hugo. With a stop around broken bow to finish my exploration of the Forestry trails.
How long you reckon it would take to do it straight through? A week? give or take?

Reactions: Oklamopar

r_horner

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Guthrie, Logan County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Just realized I said a whole weekend. Lol Shit the Southwestern portion took me a weekend and I camped at Wichita Mountains. I would be down to knock out the other three remaining portions using I-35 and I-40 to split the state up into sections over a couple weekends.

Dhillhouse

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Hillhouse
Member #

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Had no idea they had a website. We drove through years ago looked pretty nice. We were just passing through on way to great salt plains state park that day though so we didn’t look around a lot.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

We are headed out west on the OAT starting around turner falls in the morning! Planning to casually work out way around it, camping along the way. If anyone else happens to be out there and sees us, give me a shout! I’m not hard to spot. Lol

Attachments

Dhillhouse

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Hillhouse
Member #

We are headed out west on the OAT starting around turner falls in the morning! Planning to casually work out way around it, camping along the way. If anyone else happens to be out there and sees us, give me a shout! I’m not hard to spot. Lol
LUCKY!!

Reactions: ryanorr280