Offline maps for tablet or smartphone....what app do you use?

• HTML tutorial

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

this may be a separate topic for another thread, but what's a decent budget, entry level tablet for dedicated use in my rig for mapping?
I can't not speak for a specific one. I can say that some map programs can be very taxing on the processor. I would make sure to get one with a decent processor in it. For probably better budget recommendations look to YouTube tech channels. Some that come to mind is Linus tech tips, mxbhd, austin evens maybe even jays2cents. You could always look to 2nd hand on CL and sometimes find some good deals on ones that would probably be better then a budget tablet. 2 things I would look for is a good processor and expandable storage as downloaded maps will suck up storage space really fast.

Hope this could be helpful

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: LibertyOffroad

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I am recent convert to Gaia for offroad mapping. I also use osm & maps.me for on-road maps/routing
When I rode my motorcycle to Argentina, most overlanders I met were using Maps.me primarily. So easy to use and usually showed all the dirt roads. Havent tried it here in the states but noticed that it had some random trials on it

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
When I rode my motorcycle to Argentina, most overlanders I met were using Maps.me primarily. So easy to use and usually showed all the dirt roads. Havent tried it here in the states but noticed that it had some random trials on it
Great app for paved roads and known dirt roads. Not very good for 4x4 trails. I do use it for on road offline navigation though.

As for a cheap tablet. Meh. Save up and get something that will last a while. My 4 year old iPad Air 2 still runs Gaia we’ll but overall it is showing its age. I bet one that is 2-3 years old would be pretty cheap. Not getting into the dead horse debate of Apple vs Android.