Off-Road Lighting... What do you run? Why?

• HTML tutorial

What LED Lights are you running?

• Baja Designs

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • KC Hilites

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Rigid Industries

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Vision X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hella

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other (Post up)

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

I have 4 roof-mounted PIAA LP550 5" LEDs. They are long distance driving lights that are painfully bright if you get in front of them. I love the look and they come with rally-style plastic grills to offer some (small) amount of protection

15534640_1106879586076276_3818203068328050688_n.jpg

Reactions: Anon and 15Canyon

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

Hmm back to the drawing board then. I may just have to put them on top of the bumper and wire a separate switch. You weren't kidding, those are WAY too bright to use on the road.
Like Steve mentioned - he's running the Pros (which aren't street friendly!) but I'm running the sports - which undoubtedly are. I also live in Southern California so if they were blinding people, I'd definitely find out real quick :)

Reactions: Steve

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Running stock headlights with PIAA bright white bulbs. This was the most cost effective upgrade for the Jeep at the time. I'm looking forward to putting in TruckLites or similar in the future... because even with better bulbs, Jeep headlights suck.

Other lighting is a 12" light bar (SpeedDemon I think, it was free) over the winch and two 4" Nightrider pods on the A-pillars. The 12" was one a family member was replacing with a bigger one, so reasoning would be, well, free. And the Nightriders were inexpensive and still light up the ditch.
That's a great idea. I don't understand spending a grand on extra lights, and still run stock headlights. I put a trucklite in my Harley, and that sucker is bright!

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

I run cheapo amazon lights.

they work good and if they break im not out a ton of money. just for shits and giggle I looked up some kc lights
http://www.kchilites.com/industry/new-products/gravity-led-pro6-led-light-bar.html
found these...why they are cool and look to be decently bright...for over a grand I can buy and replace TWENTY pairs of cheapo amazon lights before Id get to this price.

now my headlights are a different story I paid about 200 bucks a set for those, but they are on a lot more frequently then my offroad lights.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

ok so Id just like to add this in here since my buddy is telling me I should buy rigid lights (ive spent on average 20 bucks a set for my cubes and 40 for the 7" ones on my roof rack, add all that up and it equals about 200 bucks and the light output is pretty good)
so I went to rigids site and did this, if I were to replace every light I have and add a 30" lightbar this is what it would cost me

Shopping cart

Shopping Cart
Product Price Quantity Remove Total
Radiance 30" Blue Back-Light $339.99 $339.99
D-SS | Spot Pair $299.99 $299.99
D-Seried Midnight Edition | Flush Mount Pair $234.99 $234.99
Dually HD - Flood - Pair $259.99 $519.98
E-Series & SR-Series Security Kit $28.99 $173.94
Light Bar Security Kit $19.99 $19.99
E 6" - Diffused $299.99 $1,799.94
D-Series Security Kit $28.99 $57.98
Flushmount Security Kit $8.99 $8.99
Total: $3,455.79

that's just absolutely ridiculous...especially with how many lightbars are being stolen lately...id rather have a set or hell all of my cheapo knock offs stolen and replace them without breaking my bank..then pay 3500 dollars to have them possibly stolen

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I have a pair of 8" KC Pro-Sport HIDs. I picked them as a reputable company with a decent price. I was originally looking at some of their cheaper Apollo halogens, but when I went to pull the trigger, found out I could finance the HIDs. So far I'm pretty happy with the result. :)

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I have a favourite company to buy my lights from. Its a UK company and their website is www.lazerlamps.com
I currently have 2 x ST4 (pictured below)
lazer_st4-web_1_1.jpg

the light beam patter for one of these lights is as follows

st4_beam_pattern_web.jpg

I want to get one of these for the roof

triple_r28_angle_web2.jpg

Reactions: Anon