• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@AndrewW said it best. Sharing solitude with someone who also appreciates it - being alone, together, if you will - is absolutely the best possible experience.

A song called "If" (Bread) comes to mind.

I too know the game of trying to share an experience, but everybody else is too busy checking notifications and checking up on news to really even experience the experience. You say, "Hey look, an alligator!" or whatever and they wait a moment and look up and say, "What did you say?" This experience causes going with others to feel more lonely than solo, and reminds us of why we enjoy solo.

@Akicita knows the game, kudos to you my friend.

@OTH Overland That "Off Button" is my whole life. People have often questioned my behavior and challenged my decision to never read the news. I can't control the weather in Europe, so why read about it? I can't stop the wars in Asia, so why bother myself with them? I don't live in ignorance, but I refuse to concern myself with what I cannot affect. I think that the human mind is not designed to be able to absorb and comprehend the amount of information that people expose themselves to, in this modern era of free information. And that's not even to mention the infinite amount of MISinformation.

@Moment4Life Positive in, positive out, that's the way to live. Being angry or dejected or getting caught up on any feeling is ultimately a waste of time. Going and DOING something often brings about feelings, but pursuing just the feelings is what brings about addictions and depression. I think that's why most relationships and trend-surfers fall off along the way. They lose the feelings and split, because they aren't actually interested in the individual person or activity that they are involved with.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Wow, 24 years old and having the self awareness to ask these types of questions! Young folks like you fill me with optimism for the future. When I was 20 I left the farm with 50 bucks in my pocket. At 21 I was living in SoCal working at Northrop and on weekends exploring the San Gabriel Mnts & the Mohave Desert, alone in my 66 Bug. This was 1974, so ya, really alone out there. The experience, cleared my head. I learned it was Ok to think about myself and my place in the world instead of always seeking to please others. I also learned that I was a part of a rat race that I despised. I had a really good job at Northrop. After 6 months of my self imposed weekend solitaire I quit Northrop. Threw away the suit & tie and never looked back. Looking back now, I should have continued with my weekend solitude. I lost track of myself and ended up in a very bad marriage. After the divorce I started hiking the woods of Pennsylvania, alone. Cleared my head, Being alone- without distraction, allows one to live in the moment and to confront one’s self and to discover that you actually like yourself and can enjoy your own company. On one of our dates, I took my first wife up into the San Gabriels hiking. I missed the signals as she was screaming ‘don’t you ever bring me up here again’ . I married her anyway. On our 2nd date, I took my soon to be, love of my life, up hiking at Hawk Mountain. We hiked the entire day, all alone. At times we separated to be alone with our thoughts. We had a downpour, we were soaked. That night she asked when we could go hiking again. I had a keeper! Good luck to you young man, if you’re asking these kinds of questions about yourself and the world around you it will oftentimes seem like you are stumbling through life, but you are not. Most people don’t even ponder the questions and remain lost without even knowing it. You will find your way. Be good; Do good!

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
By your description it appears you are living a mix of RV/vanlife and overlanding. From our experience, RV/vanlife tends to be a bit more stationary which can cause stagnation, loneliness, or a feeling of wasted life for some. You have received very good advice and getting a dog could help. While introspection can solve most of our internal obstacles, sometimes it's something external that we may not be considering. A slight switch-up could be all you need.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
As most others have said, being alone is not the same as feeling lonely. Some of the most profound loneliness is felt when surrounded by others. Being alone is often a choice we make. We can continue to do something or not, with or without others. I really like my alone time. I can engage my internal dialogue at regular volume without strange looks from my passengers. :joycat: