Off Grid Trailers (OGT) brand Owner's Thread

• HTML tutorial
T

TheBoothRoss

Can anyone comment on the doors for the Expedition 2.0, I.e. their size and ease of entry. Trying to decide between the Expedition and the Switchback with the RTT and the 2 am trip down the ladder.

Thanks.
The website says the doors are 23x42 inches, and as for the "...2am trip down the ladder," how about a pee-bottle instead? Use an old juice jug or retired gym bottle to prevent tumbles down the ladder, mosquitoes, or (yikes!) bears.

GR8ESC

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast II

Loomis, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6WCA
Thanks for the info. I couldn’t find it on the website. The jug is certainly an option to consider.

Overland Geezer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Southington, Connecticut, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Max
Member #

Can anyone comment on the doors for the Expedition 2.0, I.e. their size and ease of entry. Trying to decide between the Expedition and the Switchback with the RTT and the 2 am trip down the ladder.

Thanks.
Well, I have a 2019 Expedition with the original, "smaller" doors and we don't have any ese of entry problems. In fact, when OGT started making the doors themselves, I thought, "why do we need larger doors?" Point being, I don't think you'd have any issues. Unless perhaps you are enormous.

Now I would suggest the sleeping experiences with a RTT and inside the expedition are very different. A RTT makes noise in the wind and gets wet in the rain. The Expo is relatively quiet inside and the teardown after rain is "close the doors." But pulling a smaller Switchback might be more desirable. Everything is a tradeoff.

Reactions: Kilted1

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Greetings to the OGT Forum. After following OGT for a number of years, I placed my order today for an Expedition 2.0. After many years of walking/hiking/backpacking, I decided to go for it. I did opt in for the new Evolution suspension.

Reactions: RaptorOVERLANDERS

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Paid my $1000 Deposit on Expedition today and got a completion date of 11/25.

Friend has had a Expedition for a about 6 months now so I knew what I was getting.

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Would love to get mine by mid December 2022. We have a 11 member family trip planned to Big Bend State Park. Good as any for a break-in I think.

Reactions: Overland Geezer

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Question: Sort of shopping and looking at 'stuff' for the trailer i.e storage solutions and of particular interest is how do you guys, where do you guys mount recovery boards? What is the roof rack like for roof mounted accessories, or coming off the side of the rack? I did not opt in for an RRT. And what do y'all think of Monkey Fist and similar?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Question: Sort of shopping and looking at 'stuff' for the trailer i.e storage solutions and of particular interest is how do you guys, where do you guys mount recovery boards? What is the roof rack like for roof mounted accessories, or coming off the side of the rack? I did not opt in for an RRT. And what do y'all think of Monkey Fist and similar?
Not sure if you're looking at the Expo or Pando, but this is what the roof rack of the Expo looks like (via the OGT website gallery) and below it is the Pando. The roof racks are rated for 1,000LB max load (presumably 200LB per crossbar).

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Not sure if you're looking at the Expo or Pando, but this is what the roof rack of the Expo looks like (via the OGT website gallery) and below it is the Pando. The roof racks are rated for 1,000LB max load (presumably 200LB per crossbar).

saw that pic. was hoping for a suggestion or two regarding a bracket that someone has success with. maybe i’ll cruise back to see JP in San Antonio and climb on one to check b

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
saw that pic. was hoping for a suggestion or two regarding a bracket that someone has success with. maybe i’ll cruise back to see JP in San Antonio and climb on one to check b
Gotcha, the roof rails can pretty much be used however you want, either bolt through them, clamp to them, etc. Really depends on if the crossbar spacing lines up with what you're wanting to mount or if you'll have to mount a mount to the bars and then mount your stuff to the mount, etc. I don't have traction boards mounted up there, often times we explore trails without the trailer so the recovery gear needs to be with my truck. I'd be happy to do some measurements if you have something in mind, but if you're just looking for general ideas...it really just depends on what you're specifically wanting to use or mount. You won't be able to mount the MaxTrax mounting pins directly to the cross bars because the longer bolt version isn't long enough to bolt through the bars so you'd have to mount the pins to a bracket that is bolted to the cross bars, for example.

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

good points and food for thought. I got the expo and my thinking was it's not just for me, but the family as a whole. My boys have vehicles that could pull but don't necessarily have the other gear if they wanted to do a trip of their own. My rig has been really the support vehicle for everyone else up until this point.

Reactions: DRAX

Kilted1

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sahuarita, AZ, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Cockrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TOT
Well, I have a 2019 Expedition with the original, "smaller" doors and we don't have any ese of entry problems. In fact, when OGT started making the doors themselves, I thought, "why do we need larger doors?" Point being, I don't think you'd have any issues. Unless perhaps you are enormous.

Now I would suggest the sleeping experiences with a RTT and inside the expedition are very different. A RTT makes noise in the wind and gets wet in the rain. The Expo is relatively quiet inside and the teardown after rain is "close the doors." But pulling a smaller Switchback might be more desirable. Everything is a tradeoff.
My wife and I are 50+ years old and the idea of her climbing up and down a ladder at night to use the restroom would have been a no-go from the get-go. We have arrived at camp in miserable conditions (11 pm at 10,500 ft in a driving rainstorm at 35˚ F) and it was very nice to turn on the propane and jump in the trailer and have a warm and restful sleep.

Overland Geezer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Max
Member #

We have arrived at camp in miserable conditions (11 pm at 10,500 ft in a driving rainstorm at 35˚ F) and it was very nice to turn on the propane and jump in the trailer and have a warm and restful sleep.
Dark and cold and wet! That is miserable. We don't use the furnace much, but there are definitely situations where it makes all the difference in the world!

Kilted1

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sahuarita, AZ, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Cockrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TOT
Dark and cold and wet! That is miserable. We don't use the furnace much, but there are definitely situations where it makes all the difference in the world!
We live in Southern Arizona, where 50˚ is reaching arctic lows. We have used the furnace a lot and I can tell you that the furnace, water heater, and stove all sip propane. We came back from a 10-day Colorado trip using all three every day and we still had half our propane left.

Overland Geezer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Max
Member #

where do you guys mount recovery boards?
Mine stay on the tow vehicle because we often leave the trailer as a base camp for a couple of nights and go off on excursions during the day. Then move on to a new base camp. So the traction boards stay with me, not the trailer. But that's just how I camp.

(Sorry for the late reply.)

Overland Geezer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Max
Member #

the furnace, water heater, and stove all sip propane.
Agreed. We just returned from an 8-week trip. Halfway through the propane tank was refilled and it was down less than half. An it was last filled last fall! Now, a propane firepit seems to be a different matter. Those who travel with a propane fire pit usually connect them to a 20-pound tank!

Reactions: Kilted1

Kilted1

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sahuarita, AZ, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Cockrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TOT
Agreed. We just returned from an 8-week trip. Halfway through the propane tank was refilled and it was down less than half. An it was last filled last fall! Now, a propane firepit seems to be a different matter. Those who travel with a propane fire pit usually connect them to a 20-pound tank!
They are propane thirsty beasts and that is why we don't take one. If we can't have a small campfire, we simply do without. I carry enough tools and supplies that I try to stay light and efficient whenever possible.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
They are propane thirsty beasts and that is why we don't take one. If we can't have a small campfire, we simply do without. I carry enough tools and supplies that I try to stay light and efficient whenever possible.
On the flip side, don't have to carry wood, don't have to worry about fire bans, don't have the smoke, don't have to carry extra water just to put the fire out before bed, don't have to deal with trying to make a fire...

Carrying a 20lb tank and a portable fire pit is 1000x better than dealing with wood campfires, IMO. That 20lb tank will last many days if you don't crank up the flames (we run ours on low which is more than enough) and since it's dedicated to the fire pit if it runs out then it doesn't affect our ability to cook or run the furnace. Then once we're back in or traveling through civilization we get the tank refilled. I'm surprised someone would say propane fire pits are more of a hassle than wood fires, but whatever works for you is fine! :)

Reactions: Renegade