Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I posted early on a friend was hit and had a hell of a time fighting the virus, but he won. I posted to stay inside and duck for cover. I fully understood the need to "flatten the curve" . I have then posted recently a couple of outings into nature that may seem contrary to my earlier statement. But we did flatten the curve, the virus is out there now forever, now its time to live life or die on our feet. We learned a lot, now use your head and get back at it. Tonight had dinner at the best restaurant in the county. Left a healthy tip since I have been fortunate to work through this and have painful memory of losing all in the dot com and then the 2008 crashes. Best 150 dollar night I have had in years. Cheers.

Last edited:

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I posted early on a friend was hit and had a hell of a time fighting the virus, but he won. I posted to stay inside and duck for cover. I fully understood the need to "flatten the curve" . I have then posted recently a couple of outings into nature that may seem contrary to my earlier statement. But we did flatten the curve, the virus is out there, now its time to live life or die on our feet. We learned a lot, Use your head and get back at it. Tonight dinner at the best restraint in the county. Left a healthy tip since I have been fortunate to work through this. And have painfull memory of losing all in the dot com and 2008 crashes. Best 150 dollar night I have had in years. Cheers.
Spot on post JimBill. From here on out we all just need to use common sense, especially around our high risk loved ones and neighbors. Sounds like you had a great night out.

Reactions: Jim SoG and JimBill

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Doesn't change the fact that taking away freedoms does not evolve society. Your opinion has nothing to do with this fact and is a completely different subject altogether.
Not really sure about how you arrive at that. Lets use a couple of examples from WWII. Obviously the very notion of someone being drafted into the military, means flat out, that the draftee has given up any notion of freedom in the name of a greater cause. Meanwhile, mom & dad, back home have given up various freedoms for the greater good. eating as much beef as they wanted, purchasing gasoline whenever and however much they wanted, corporations and businesses were told what they could manufacture, farmers told what to grow, There was very heavy rationing for consumers. There was a sacrifice of personal freedom across the board, all for a greater good and which resulted in more freedom for more people world wide than ever thought possible. Back then the sacrifice of a citizens personal freedoms for the greater good was called patriotism. Today? No one wants to sacrifice anything unless it is for themselves.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Well, the OP was about if the "Overlanding Lifestyle" in general is more healthy, especially during stuff like a pandemic. Overlanding is about being more isolated and more self-reliant than the average folk and being out in the boonies naturally means less POLITICS...which is definitely healthier for everyone! :grinning:

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Not really sure about how you arrive at that. Lets use a couple of examples from WWII. Obviously the very notion of someone being drafted into the military, means flat out, that the draftee has given up any notion of freedom in the name of a greater cause. Meanwhile, mom & dad, back home have given up various freedoms for the greater good. eating as much beef as they wanted, purchasing gasoline whenever and however much they wanted, corporations and businesses were told what they could manufacture, farmers told what to grow, There was very heavy rationing for consumers. There was a sacrifice of personal freedom across the board, all for a greater good and which resulted in more freedom for more people world wide than ever thought possible. Back then the sacrifice of a citizens personal freedoms for the greater good was called patriotism. Today? No one wants to sacrifice anything unless it is for themselves.
Once again you are completely off base. But nice try

Reactions: 510Steve

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Both my adult children got it (recovered), lost an aunt, a coworker, and old school buddy. My daughter had moderate symptoms and recovered quickly. My son's shop closed after 6 out of 9 techs got sick, he was number seven. He spent 5 days in CCU - fortunately wasn't ventilated - and is on a long recovery road as he has previous respiratory damage from his previous occupation. I've been fortunate so far not to have contracted it. As of last night I have been in contact with 97 confirmed cases (EMT). Things were just starting to settle down in the last two weeks, suspect with the opening up of states the next few weeks we will either see a spike or warmer weather will keep things in check. IMHO, it could go either way.
Sorry for your loss, did the people that pass have previous health problems. I work at a hospital as a Respiratory Therapist and know of families that lost multiple generations.

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Back in February all of my family got a bad case of "The Flu" high fever (had a difficult time getting the temp down with the two year old). But we all recovered after a few days so not sure if it was Covid or not.

I work at a hospital as a Respiratory Therapist so I have worked with patients. It is very nasty for individuals with chronic health problems. With some we did the maximum modalities including ventilators on max setting, proning, and ECMO. Even after all that they still passed. So far the hospital has provided adequate PPE.

At first work was busy but since weren't doing elective surgery the work load died down. I have actually enjoyed only working 36 hours a week and having time to spend with family.

Now for my political rant. The mayor of LA is out of control with all of the restrictions. I do agree when it first broke out quarantine was necessary. My opinion is now that people with chronic health conditions should be responsible and self quarantine. In public I will wear a mask if I am near people. I pray we start opening up soon.

Reactions: Wallygator

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Once again you are completely off base. But nice try
Ok, then instead of playing word games with everyone, what exactly are you talking about? I’ve re read every one of your posts. The only thing that stands out is that you may have a completely different definition of the term freedom than do I. Sometimes two people are on the same page and they don’t realize it because terms and definitions differ. Then again, some people communicate in some sort of code that I am unfamiliar with. My wife and I taught our children, long ago, “ say what you mean & mean what you say”.