louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'm just curious to see if any members of OB contracted the virus. I'm not getting political and asking as a way to use low OB numbers as any kind of basis for anything other than seeing if the "OB lifestyle" is more suitable for skirting around things like a virus. We pretty much seek solitude anyway and are generally prepared to be without having to go to a grocery store for longer periods of time than the average folk, and most of us seem to be pretty self reliant to a point, so it would only make sense that overall, most of us have NOT gotten the virus. I don't even know anyone who has gotten it, but most folk I know and hang around are like me and don't get out around a lot of people and do pretty well with isolation anyway.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Both my adult children got it (recovered), lost an aunt, a coworker, and old school buddy. My daughter had moderate symptoms and recovered quickly. My son's shop closed after 6 out of 9 techs got sick, he was number seven. He spent 5 days in CCU - fortunately wasn't ventilated - and is on a long recovery road as he has previous respiratory damage from his previous occupation. I've been fortunate so far not to have contracted it. As of last night I have been in contact with 97 confirmed cases (EMT). Things were just starting to settle down in the last two weeks, suspect with the opening up of states the next few weeks we will either see a spike or warmer weather will keep things in check. IMHO, it could go either way.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Thanks, guys. Everyone stay safe, please, if we can get through this and look back saying "that wasn't as bad as they said it was going to be" then we did things right.

As for the summer comment, sorry, I wasn't clear. I understand this virus is different than influenza - which wanes in the warmer weather - and that there's still not a lot of solid information on it for the long-term. I was thinking more social\cultural changes that naturally come with warmer weather. People will migrate outside more often, have windows open, and engage in activities that don't involve being in the immediate proximity of others. Dinner gatherings with a dozen people in a 14x14 dining room with central heat keeping the same air recirculated (and people quickly closing the door to the outside to minimize warm air loss) will give way to cookouts in the back yard, at the park, etc. European countries like Italy and Spain as well as Asian countries have a different social culture than us in many ways, though some of those ways - high population density, heavy reliance on public transportation - are why (IMHO) NYC has been hammered with it while say, Manchester, NH isn't doing too bad. Come summer, some of those urban dwellers will leave, reducing their exposure while increasing the exposure of the people in the areas they travel to. While I say that it could go either way, I suspect that in the next month to 6 weeks, we will see a spike and that come fall & winter, we will still be fighting the war.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Thanks sneaks, for your service and your words of wisdom. Two guys wives, in our local chapter of the TLCA contracted c-19 and are currently recovering. My wife and I have nary a problem keeping to ourselves. I’ve had contact, within 6 ft, with 4 people since March the 14th.

Being retired our lives haven’t changed much at all. My wife doesn’t get to swim her 1.5 miles every Mon-Wed-Fri and don’t go on any trips anywhere except for our daily hikes in the Pennsylvania woods. We have broken a nasty habit of eating out. Even only twice a week I’m amazed at how much we used to spend a month going out. I doubt we’ll be eating out much any more. We don’t drink all that much so the top shelf stuff is holding up pretty well. It may be time for more Woodford and single malt in a couple a weeks. Since we’ve saved money on not eating out I was able to purchase a new HO locomotive, so that’s always fun.

On the serious side? As a society we have had three major things happen that have made our society better, The Civil War, WWII, and the cultural revolution of the 60/70s. After each of these three major events, we progressed into a better society. If the covid 19 / corona virus continues for long or gets worse, I’m thinking, over the long term, it will become a better society for my grandchildren and their grandchildren. If it ends up just being a blip on the radar of history, our society will quickly return to what some would consider to be the norm, the downward spiral of instant gratification fueled by the me me me culture.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
My wife had a fever and general knock you down symptoms for about 10 days from the onset. She was tested for Covid and came up negative. Her doctor said she must have had the good old fashioned flu. I never got a thing off of her.

Reactions: Sneaks

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
My wife had a fever and general knock you down symptoms for about 10 days from the onset. She was tested for Covid and came up negative. Her doctor said she must have had the good old fashioned flu. I never got a thing off of her.
Stuff like this drives me crazy! What does doc mean “must have been the flu”?! He didn’t think to test her for influenza? I am certainly happy your wife is not ill and made it through unscathed but there is no shortage of stories of medical professionals stopping short of the diagnosis goal line simply because someone doesn’t have COVID-19. I am sure for every bad story there are 10 good but these are a terrible black eye on the medical community.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
For the record, I do not know anyone who got sick personally nor do I know anyone who has told me they know someone who has.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

One of my friends got it in March and recovered. Several others closer to me had long hard flu like symptoms before they started testing.

Its here to stay. Herd immunity is the only solution. We flattened the curve- time to live life again.

Still more likely to get snuffed out by an accident driving to work, dying from my sleep apnea, or if this keeps up, alcohol poisoning.

I'm not underestimating it, but hiding from it this long isn't living. I'm a busy person. If this is gonna kill me lets get death out of the way. Otherwise I have shit to do.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Nothing good can come from having more freedoms taken away from us. The China virus is here to stay so may as well get used to it. Taking our freedom away because of it will not make for a better society.
In all three of the major events I mentioned, temporary sacrifices were made. even so, in each case, those temporary sacrifices were well worth it, as each of those world changing historical events led to a stronger freer people. I’m willing to sacrifice a bit in order for for our society to continue to evolve.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I'm fine but a friend of mine passed away last week. He had been one of my tennis partners for the last 5 or 6 yrs. He was a healthy and fit 61 yr. old lawyer. He was out for a family dinner to celebrate his birthday in mid-March when he and his wife believe they contracted COVID-19. She recovered but he did not. It's a sad, lonely and terribly way to go.

Last edited:

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
In all three of the major events I mentioned, temporary sacrifices were made. even so, in each case, those temporary sacrifices were well worth it, as each of those world changing historical events led to a stronger freer people. I’m willing to sacrifice a bit in order for for our society to continue to evolve.
Agreed. The document that grants "liberty and the pursuit of happiness" starts off with "life." Gotta have #1 before you can have #2 & 3.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Again, taking freedoms away does not evolve a society.