louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
then there needs to be a distinction between "4WD" and limited slip. i've had numerous "4WD" vehicles that didnt have lockers and got stuck faster than a vehicle with an AWD platform. they need "Lockers Only" trail signs...

good post, though...i would not have thought that was a thing. we hit utah a good bit and that is good to know to avoid a ticket...

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
HMM
My Cruiser is AWD.
I think the distinction should be "High Clearance Vehicles" only.
Its entirely possible this came about with low clearance vehicles needing to be rescued.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

then there needs to be a distinction between "4WD" and limited slip. i've had numerous "4WD" vehicles that didnt have lockers and got stuck faster than a vehicle with an AWD platform. they need "Lockers Only" trail signs...

good post, though...i would not have thought that was a thing. we hit utah a good bit and that is good to know to avoid a ticket...
The article explicitly states “Some AWD systems have brake-based limited-slip differentials, but these are still no substitute for locking differentials in traditional 4WD systems.” I was Initially thinking that was just the position of the author. Given the very steep fines, though, that is also clearly the position of the NPS!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The chances of some low IQ government bureaucrat indiscriminately applying this rule while simultaneously not understanding the difference is not less than 115%

Of all the vehicles on the road in 2024 described as "4 wheel drive" only a tiny fraction of them are actually "4 wheel drive".

More government is never, ever the answer and those who enthusiastically embrace it are among the dumbest organisms on the planet.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Inventor I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
somebody needs to remind the NPS that it doesnt matter what you drive....:grinning:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

somebody needs to remind the NPS that it doesnt matter what you drive....:grinning:
That's right, can we get some sort of site staff or someone to contact those people and get them plumbed up?