First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Congrats on the Jeep Nick.

As for the ride, I'm not gonna make it. Busy day here and I didn't have a chance to get the Xterra loaded and ready to go.

On the plus side, I ordered a 10k warn zeon with synthetic line and bought a set of Alcan rear lift springs for it today. Hope to order any Expedition One bumper next week.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
We had a blast. Ended up running the back half of Flagpole due to the trail being icy on the Union Springs side.

EDIT: Was going to look at downloading Gaia but it looks like its free now. Looks like we gotta do another run soon so I can tinker with it!

Last edited:

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

We had a blast. Ended up running the back half of Flagpole due to the trail being icy on the Union Springs side.

EDIT: Was going to look at downloading Gaia but it looks like its free now. Looks like we gotta do another run soon so I can tinker with it!
It's free now, $9/yr for membership, and premium membership is $30/yr. However, there's a post on 4xoverlandadventures.com that offers a free year of membership: https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/navigation-app-choice-gaia-gps/
Scroll to the bottom.

I've been messing with it lately. Helpful hint; log into the web interface at gaiagps.com, then click Overlays > Public Trips. It will show all trips others have made public. I've been using it to plan a trip out to Blackwater Falls area. I'm definitely going to start paying for subscription after this free year membership is up.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
It's free now, $9/yr for membership, and premium membership is $30/yr. However, there's a post on 4xoverlandadventures.com that offers a free year of membership: https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/navigation-app-choice-gaia-gps/
Scroll to the bottom.

I've been messing with it lately. Helpful hint; log into the web interface at gaiagps.com, then click Overlays > Public Trips. It will show all trips others have made public. I've been using it to plan a trip out to Blackwater Falls area. I'm definitely going to start paying for subscription after this free year membership is up.
Thats what I did to. Got a map for switzer lake. There is some other trailnI want to run in WV. Any way to tell hiking trails apart from 4x4 ones?

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Thats what I did to. Got a map for switzer lake. There is some other trailnI want to run in WV. Any way to tell hiking trails apart from 4x4 ones?
Not really, but I click the trail and check the name, sometime they say "backpacking" or similar. Also, shuffle through all the available map layers, because some have pretty good detail down to roads and trails. A few times I was able to zoom in far enough and noticed consistent tire tracks, so I knew a truck could fit (or has a bunch of times in the past).

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Yea, that's what I have been doing. Looking on Google Earth to kind of cross reference, then searching to see if there is any information about that road or trail. There a couple road/areas in WV I wouldn't mind exploring.

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Purcellville, VA, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Rrrrrr
Member #

Magelllan TRX might be helpful in finding trails and distinguishing between hiking, atv, etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rubicoma

Rubicoma

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Chesterfield, VA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4GIV
Magelllan TRX might be helpful in finding trails and distinguishing between hiking, atv, etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I like this. I am looking at the TR5 $299 or TR7 $399. Unless I'm missing something, looks like it does everything the TRX7 does minus the camera, rugged case and social media. I downloaded GAIA, only got a 3 month subscription with the link above for Android. Need to play with it more but I like the Magellan TR(X) which is for off roading trails.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ill have to lool into this.

Saw this posted yesterday to

Know its a ways out but anyone planning on going?
I really want to go to an Overland Expo, but they're so damn expensive! Plus I know once I'm there I'm going to want to spend sooooo much more money. We'll see if I can save up some extra rig funds this year...