• HTML tutorial

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

Sweet. More the merrier.
Got my Trax, tow strap and d-rings in this afternoon. Hopefully wont need em but happy ive got them now.

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

Ok, now i have a CB. Picked up a Cobra at wallmart and a magnetic mount. It was cheap and should do ok till i decide on how ill mount a real deal antennae.
@robertv Yea, i guess im kinda like you.... I figure safety first. =) Besides, I dont want to be the jack ass that goes off-roading and is like "hey guys im stuck... nope no jack.... nope no tow strap.... nope no boars...." and they go "yep you are screwed".

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

Ok, i think im all ready for tomorrow. Was busy today. Trying to get cables through the firewall of a tundra is not all that easy. Looks like the damn thing could sink to the bottom of the ocean and the cab would remain dry.... The seals have seals which are also taped tight. Never saw anything like that before.

Overland Bound Membership Badge" - CHECK!

750 watt power inverter so I can air up/down : CHECK!

CB radio So I can listen to static! : CHECK!

DIY Tethers for My Maxsa Boards : CHECK!

"mounted" Maxsa Boards : CHECK!

Ready for Hurricane Creek... CHECK! (Too bad its supposed to be about as difficult as a sunday morning drive.) Anyway, im all set. Looking forward to meeting you @robertv and whoever you bring along!

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

So today I met up with @robertv and another member named Brian to do my first "serious" trail Hurricane Creek Trail to Max Patch. Great time guys, thank you!
Just some things to note... A lot of people say you can do this trail easily with a 2wd or an awd subaru. I honestly dont think so. Maybe the trail conditions have worsened, but this felt pretty tricky, some decent sized rutts, and some rather steep climbs mixed with muddy spots in some parts. I did my best to video capture the trip but unfortunately I only got about 15% of the trail on film. I was using my phone, and once the memory ran out, it just flatlined for the remainder of the trip. I did this in my Toyota Tundra with pretty much no sweat, but the steep drops on the sides and narrow track made me rather uneasy. Robert told me I was being paranoid and that i had at least a foot to a foot and a half but still, its a big boned vehicle with a sizeable lift and it felt rather uneasy on the narrow winding track. The jeeps seemed to have no trouble either and certainly seemed to have an easier time with the narrow corridors. Plus, they are experienced, capable drivers which I am not. Anyhow, on with the pictures and video.

Up front is Brians Jeep, Behind him is @robertv 's Jeep, and in the back is My tundra.

@robertv and his Jeep.

My big goofy self at the trail head. behind us is I40.

And some videos of the drive.
Part1

Part2

Part3

Part4

Unfortunately, Brian got stucked... Here are the vids of the extraction. Probably overly cautious, but in the end, nothing was broken so ill say that Robert and Brian did it just right.

Part 1 : Analysis.

Part 2 : Setting Up

Part 3 : Extraction

This is just a small taste of the trail, it got significantly harder in some places. Definately not the fire road we had originally expected. Not impossible, but a lot of fun and some challenges.

NOTE: Please forgive my stupid commentary on the video. Turn off the volume on the video and crank up some tunes. It will be more fun that way.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

So today I met up with @robertv and another member named Brian to do my first "serious" trail Hurricane Creek Trail to Max Patch. Great time guys, thank you!
Hey Paul, great meeting you and what a great day. Thanks for posting the pics and vids. Fun to relive that moment when I put my front passenger wheel in the ditch. Doh!! Oh well, we worked it out with no damage to the vehicle. For anyone still on the fence, a winch is more important than a light bar.

Robert and I rode down the trail again and found a great camping spot by the stream. He made steaks and we watched a little campfire tv and talked about the trail.

As for the trail, it was a nice surprise. This was my first time running Hurricane Creek and it was a bunch of fun. We decided to opt out of hiking up Max Patch so that we could find a good campsite before sundown. Would definitely run this trail again. I bet it's awesome in the snow.

Pics to come

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Junktj

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

Oh man, snow! I think id piss myself. =D If you guys run it (or anything else local) please let me know. I really would like to roll with you all again. Next time I will be sure to get wife permissions to camp out.

slonneberg

Rank 0

Traveler I

SE NC
Hey folks, I'm Soren. I live in Wilmington. I'd Like to get up with people and camp more. I have a few spots around the Lynville area that I take my Tacoma out to, but would love to see other places.

Reactions: PaulK and Junktj

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Hey, welcome Soren. I love the Linville area, it’s one of my favorites. I spend a lot of time backpacking there. Uwharrie reopens in April for something a little closer to you, in case you haven’t been. Otherwise keep an eye on here and hopefully folks will keep posting when they’re headed out.

How about a photo of your rig?

Brian

slonneberg

Rank 0

Traveler I

SE NC
I've been to Uwharrie once for another group event and I stayed on the training course lands across from the El Dorado trading post. My trucks not setup to wheel anything crazy. I'm usually solo so I can survive on with everything stored under my tonneau/cab. My 4yr old is going out with me this year so I might have to bring a yeti full of egos and chicken nuggets. I usually sleep in a hammock or in the cab, but I hoping to go to a RTT set up this spring(Wife gave me some tax return allowance).

Reactions: Junktj

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
Hey folks, I'm Soren. I live in Wilmington. I'd Like to get up with people and camp more. I have a few spots around the Lynville area that I take my Tacoma out to, but would love to see other places.
Welcome! Live right down the road from linville. I have spent many nights in the gorge and in Wilson's creek. Let me know if you would like to see some of the milder wheeling spots in this area, I am always down for a ride.

I am planning a trip to uwharrie the second weekend of april, not sure if you would be interested in riding along.
My brother is bringing his son for his second uwharrie trip, my nephew is also 4 and he had a great time out last year.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

@slonneberg I'm a hammocker as well. In fact the whole family hammocks when we backpack together, but when we go out on an overlanding style trip I've got a big tent and cots. I've thought about a RTT, but decided it's not for me. I drive a Jeep TJ with a roof rack, and I need that rack space for carrying gear when the family joins me. If I throw a tent up there then I wouldn't have room for anything else. We'd be wishing for ego's and chicken nuggets. :)

If you're up in the Linville area there's some nice campsites along Kistler Hwy (NC105) that are favorites for camping by your vehicle. Just do the right thing and haul out all the trash you find. Linville's popularity is taking a toll. We find trash there on every visit. Recently a buddy and I stopped by three campsites on the way out from a trip, filled up a big black hefty bag, and put out a fire someone had left smoldering that the wind brought back to life. Somebody needs some sense knocked into them. On our recent trip to Hurricane Creek, Paul cleaned up a campfire ring where we stopped for lunch and Robert and I hauled a bunch of trash from the campsite we found. I'll get off my soap box.

Message me if you want any tips for Linville area, I'll shoot you the coordinates. Also if you're headed to the mountains let us know. I'm Charlotte based, but head that way often and it sounds like @Junktj is in the area as well.

PaulK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Spruce Pine, NC
Member #

@brianb2 No, stay up there! In fact, i think it needs to be elevated from a soapbox to a substantially high platform. I lived in NY for my whole life and moved to NC because well, there is no saving it anymore. Lets keep NC clean, orderly and beautiful. It wont happen without people like you and those willing to beg for others to do the same.

@slonneberg I am always down for a ride and am very close to you. I'm in Spruce Pine, NC. I am always looking for local rides and getaways. Please let me know if you want a pal to ride with. I haven't done much camping in NC... (well i haven't done any yet) but i'm well equipped and make the meanest coffee, the best pancakes and in new york was revered for my campsite breakfast sandwiches. I also really would love to start setting up my gear for camping. It's all been in storage in my basement for over 3 years =( I know ill need a new sleeping bag. if anyone has a good recommendation for a solid comfy sleeping bag, please let me know. My current one is from the 1970's and even rolled up is about the size and weight of a bear.

Reactions: slonneberg