Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Really hope for some real info here. I hope not to begin a debate if you should carry, yet those that do, can place some advise on what and what they use. What's your every trip carry?

I'll start with I have a baton, a bat, a walking stick (1.5 ash).

I'm seriously considering a Umarex HDR 50.

Reactions: KD7WCD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Really hope for some real info here. I hope not to begin a debate if you should carry, yet those that do, can place some advise on what and what they use. What's your every trip carry?

Why use words when an axe will do.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

A baton, bat or similar device may be unintentionally lethal, leading to legal ramifications (criminal charges or civil action). As stated by @RJ Howell, you’d have to be close enough to reach out and touch your assailant. That said, a well balanced aluminum Louisville Slugger is a joy to swing.
The only effective non-lethal that allows you distance and is simple to use is OC (Oleoresin Capsicum), aka, pepper spray. Quick to deploy and simple to use.
An alternative would be a taser or stun gun. However, those require a bit more aim and skill to use.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

A baton, bat or similar device may be unintentionally lethal, leading to legal ramifications (criminal charges or civil action). As stated by @RJ Howell, you’d have to be close enough to reach out and touch your assailant. That said, a well balanced aluminum Louisville Slugger is a joy to swing.
The only effective non-lethal that allows you distance and is simple to use is OC (Oleoresin Capsicum), aka, pepper spray. Quick to deploy and simple to use.
An alternative would be a taser or stun gun. However, those require a bit more aim and skill to use.
They make guns that fire pepper spray. Basically paint ball guns modified to shoot pepper spray. Non Lethal Guns | Byrna Less-Lethal Pistols | Less-Lethal Self Defense Weapons

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
So I had a conversation with someone about this a few years back, my next door neighbor back then was a local police officer. But the gist of it was basically this; imagine you carried a handgun with a mag of rubber bullets, you know they're rubber and are "less than lethal" as they say. That mentality allows you to be less hesitant to drawing your weapon because hey, at least you won't kill them. But the only time you should draw your weapon on someone is when you feel it is required to kill in order to protect your own life. Much to why "warning shots" went away in the Army and law enforcement. That could become a legal argument against you should the situation go to court.

So I only run lethal rounds. And I'll only use it if I absolutely have to.

As mimicked by grubworm, creating distance is your number one ally. Just run away.
A Former Navy SEAL Commander Says The Best Defense Is To Run – This Is Why - YouTube

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Wasp/Hornet Spray, good to have anyway. If you are thinking something for a life or death defense situation, a machete (also, good to have already). We all carry many things that can be used for self defense and it's probably best to use something you already carry. As an example, a breaker bar or a breaker bar extension can be formidable. A D-shackle on a short tree saver is akin to the padlock on a chain, a common street weapon. Even a long screw driver can ruin someones day. If you don't intend or cannot carry a firearm then I would start with rethinking about what's already in your kit.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

So I had a conversation with someone about this a few years back, my next door neighbor back then was a local police officer. But the gist of it was basically this; imagine you carried a handgun with a mag of rubber bullets, you know they're rubber and are "less than lethal" as they say. That mentality allows you to be less hesitant to drawing your weapon because hey, at least you won't kill them. But the only time you should draw your weapon on someone is when you feel it is required to kill in order to protect your own life. Much to why "warning shots" went away in the Army and law enforcement. That could become a legal argument against you should the situation go to court.

As mimicked by grubworm, creating distance is your number one ally. Just run away.
A Former Navy SEAL Commander Says The Best Defense Is To Run – This Is Why - YouTube
Grubworm's post is protecting only ones self and abandoning all else. No even a thought for me as it may be for him..
Now, I have no intention of using 'rubber' ammo. Pepper spray has possible use, yet the ammo available and proper shooting will stop anyone. Or at least incapacitate enough to over power.

I'm hoping to move anyway from carrying lethal rounds as most places I travel to don't even allow them.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Wasp/Hornet Spray, good to have anyway. If you are thinking something for a life or death defense situation, a machete (also, good to have already). We all carry many things that can be used for self defense and it's probably best to use something you already carry. As an example, a breaker bar or a breaker bar extension can be formidable. A D-shackle on a short tree saver is akin to the padlock on a chain, a common street weapon. Even a long screw driver can ruin someones day. If you don't intend or cannot carry a firearm then I would start with rethinking about what's already in your kit.
I agree with what you are saying. The situation that goes that step beyond is when another is threatened and you can't get close enough. I can carry lethal (even concealed) yet exploring options and finding this HDR50 may have that.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

these are the only "non-lethal" things i can think of...
if youre willing to crack someone with a bat or walking stick but not willing to go all the way with it...better save all that mess and just invest in a pair of these

View attachment 270094
This goes right along with: "I don't have to out run the bear, just have to out run you."

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

great points and i also want to add that people have definitely changed over the years....
i remember getting into fights as a kid and it would be fists only and usually over at the first sight of blood. i even had a couple fights where we shook hands after and became friends. not so much anymore...kids have been bringing guns and knives to school for years and the mentality overall has gotten to the point where people are desensitized and dont care and are very quick to get offended and pull a gun. a lot of folk out there are willing to make it "lethal" over nothing and those kids are now adults...

years back, it was early morning and i was behind a school bus out on a twisty swamp road out in the middle of nowhere. i couldnt pass and this car got on my ass tailgating and flashing his lights and was upset about going so slow. he finally passed and then a minute later i got an opportunity to pass the bus. i got down the road a bit and saw that the guy who was behind me was now parked on the side of the road and was waiting for me with a gun drawn. i stopped and hes pointing a gun at me mad that i made him late for work by driving so slow. i was trapped behind a school bus having to go slow and this guy is now mad at me and pointing a gun at me. i pulled my pistol and drew a bead center mass hoping this was just a weird dream, but it wasnt. it was real. im now wondering if im going to get shot or have to shoot someone just because i was behind a school bus going slow and now a total stranger is pointing a gun at me and both of our lives are about to change. i was thinking about what would happen when i shot this fool...would i go to jail? what kind of court hearing would i be faced with? how much are legal fees going to cost? if i go to jail, what would happen to my house and belongings? (i was single and pre-kids). everything i had worked for up to this time was now hanging in the balance of what was going to happen in the next few seconds...
i kept my bead on him and he kept pointing his at me, still cussing and going on about me making him late for work. thats when i told him that he is not only late for work right now...but he will never go to work again. also, i pointed out that he will never see his loved ones again or eat another pizza again or watch his football team play another game...EVERYTHING he holds dear is about to be taken from him. i guess he didnt think about things from that perspective...he was quite OK with taking my life because he was a few minutes late for work, but never thought about what he will lose. there was silence for a second or so and i could see his expression change as he thought about what i said. he tells me to f-off as he got back into his car and sped away down the swamp road.

these are the fools i worry about. people who in an instant can appear in your life from out of nowhere and are threatening you with no real reason. you have done absolutely NOTHING wrong, but yet you are facing a situation where you might lose your life if you dont make the right decisions. running is fine if it can be done successfully. i had entered gun range before i saw the gun, so it was too late to run. no need running if you are going to get shot in the back.

didnt mean to go on a long rant here, but this actually is a very important thread and any one of us on here could be facing something like i did at any time. i dont have the answers because every situation will be different...but i can say from experience that from my take, the best "non-lethal" weapon is a large caliber pistol because it will more than likely make a person think twice and realize that they might lose their life as well, so THEY walk away. in my situation...if i ran, i might have gotten shot and if i went to him with a bat or baton...i would certainly get shot. i prefer having a LETHAL weapon that turns a situation non-lethal rather than to have a NON-LETHAL weapon and turning it lethal because i now have to engage someone with it. the only way i see a walking stick help me in a battle for my life is to stick it in their eye socket...which now made it a lethal weapon. i'd rather show a gun and have them leave

i know the OP didnt want a debate and i sure hope i didnt turn it into one, but like i said...this is a very serious topic and can absolutely be life changing for anyone in a situation like this. remember...a lot of people dont think like we do and they are willing to do things that most of us arent willing to do, so we are already at a disadvantage mentally. unless you have been trained in hand to hand and know what its like to be choked or hit so hard you're about to black out...then engaging with a non-lethal weapon is not a good idea because an untrained brain is going to want to run when things start going south and then its going to want to shut down and then it is definitely game over.

this is a great thread @RJ Howell ...people are getting crazier and violence is getting more common and eventually one of us on here will be facing a bad situation and hopefully reading this will get people thinking and preparing and hopefully making the right decisions when the time comes.

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
@Kelly @Magic Mike @Narbob , didnt one of you guys have the Umarex HDR 50? And if so can you give a review.
I have Byrna pistol. I do think it's necessary to have a non-lethal option, since they no longer let you use lethal force to protect your property.  Someone can literally be beating your truck with a baseball bat, and if you're not in it at the time, you can't use lethal force. For self-defense there is no substitute for a firearm. If your circumstances don't allow you to own a gun, I would look at the AR-15 version of a pepper ball gun. They shoot solid kinetic rounds also.

Attachments

Reactions: RJ Howell

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
If you use hornet spray on a human, you'd better be prepared to prove in court that that was your only option. I'm much more afraid of lawyers than I am criminals.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

I'm 67. I have no desire whatsoever to engage a perp, hand to hand, in a National Forest or State Park. I've been there in the last year in Mark Twain.
As funny as @grubworm post is, it's the truth. Pull stakes, fold blankets and haul ass.
I travel armed and that's what I'm trained with.
Reading and understanding to the fullest extent of the "Use of Deadly Force" doctrine will help.
Zim

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
If you use hornet spray on a human, you'd better be prepared to prove in court that that was your only option. I'm much more afraid of lawyers than I am criminals.
There are always worse options but if you don't carry pepper spray, hornet spray is definitely a better option than lead...assuming lead isn't the proper option. As in relation to the situation presented by @RJ Howell, I am sure facing a team of lawyers is less feared than not protecting one's family...to which we whole heartedly agree.

Reactions: AggieOE