Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
My partner and I were joking that the real impacts of this won't be felt until the people in cities who push this legislation start having to face HOA fines over landscaping because their favorite small business landscaper stopped doing doing residential work because it stopped being profitable. Maybe if that happens something will change.
I am a retired CA landscaper and this issue has been coming for decades. It was talked about in the 90's. And I see plenty of battery powered options for city residential work. What will get to them is the power going off and no portable generator options. It seems to me they are pushing stationary generators, as they are exempt, as is diesel. Propane seems included as the term is "spark-ignition engines".

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
OOPS, sorry.
I've been following the solar/windpower infrastructure issue for a couple of decades. One of my too many pet peeves.
Yeah... Its been an total cluster for as long as I remember here...

Way off topic but just as absurd. Coal plants in Wyoming routinely use Generators. Why, because super smart people force the coal plant to idle down and provide a percentage of power from renewable energy. So when the wind power is in use it does not provide enough power but diesel generators (not coal) are allowed to make up for the lack of power and are emissions exempt when helping with wind power!! This is the illusion of clean energy.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Weird. Isn't this exactly what ya'll wanted in California?

Reactions: MazeVX

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I only read a bit of it, but logging, falling, forestry will not be affected since it only applies to those engines under 45cc... and fallers chainsaws are closer to 70cc.
This is aimed at the residential user, not the commercial user. There are plenty of exemptions if you make yer living with ICE tools.

From the comments posted, it does not apply to propane powered gensets either, which is what our backup generator is.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Not here in Missouri. At least not in my lifetime. The term "except in california" has been meaningless for decades in the parts business. Those folks can play stupid all they want but there's zero impact on anyone .1" from the state line.
Zim
In Alabama, we generally look at what CA does, and then immediately do the opposite.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I would routinely disregard their laws that I find to be inconvenient, in much the same way they disregard laws they find inconvenient.

I suppose though I could put a 8mm port in the housing of my Honda, put a "SOLAR" sticker on it and plug a solar panel into it so when Karen sees it she'll think it's solar and not call the eco-stasi.

Modern problems call for modern solutions.

Reactions: Neuvik

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Way off topic but just as absurd. Coal plants in Wyoming routinely use Generators. Why, because super smart people force the coal plant to idle down and provide a percentage of power from renewable energy. So when the wind power is in use it does not provide enough power but diesel generators (not coal) are allowed to make up for the lack of power and are emissions exempt when helping with wind power!! This is the illusion of clean energy.
Another dirty secret is the amount of grid supplied electricity a windmill needs to work.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Doom and gloom reminds me of the banning of the 2 stroke outboard 30 years ago. Evinrude and Mercury both claiming we can't do it, the engines will be too heavy...... then someone realized Europe had banned the 2 stroke a decade earlier and they were already selling 4 stroke outboards.

Doom and gloom but how many of us would pick a 2 stroke outboard today.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I think you guys are missing the point. My neighbors already have battery operated leaf blowers. I still do it the old fashioned way with a BROOM! Probably 80% of people in my Valley have home generators for when the power goes out. I bought mine in 94. So when the gas small engines are banned and the power goes out we can just drive our fully charged 'letric trucks(fossil fuel power being banned) up to the ol homestead and power it for the duration. Then cause we live on the Best Coast all the pollution from the power generating plants will blow East while we have fresh air off the Mighty Pacific, which only slightly will dilute all the poison air coming from China's factories....................."Breathe deep while you sleep, breathe deep, deep, cough, cough, cough....."

Dumb Polyannas.

• Haha
Reactions: Billiebob

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Best coast has needles littering the beach, and smells like poo. And if I step on the wrong rock, Snake will want to cut me. Canceled, with objections from the missus, our west coast plans (again). Way too much weirdness. Catalytic convertors on cows yet?

Going to key west instead. Only have to worry about chicks with wicks there. A bit safer. And no masks.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Yes, because everyone wants to spend $4,000 on a 1 kW generator. Consumers don’t care how much fuel current generators use for a given load - not
Only if you don't understand how its done. Does the consumer care? no. But take something away, add in a new rule and things change.

Will the generator business do that? No. Does the public care? No. Did I say making them more efficient was practical? No, Its not.

I was however commenting on a statement about whether idling your car to generate power was a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.