Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If you want inspriation, check out Navara builds. Especially out of Australia. Alot of the mods are adaptable as well. You can pick up all sorts of stuff if you're willing to wait a bit to have it shipped here.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
If you want inspriation, check out Navara builds. Especially out of Australia. Alot of the mods are adaptable as well. You can pick up all sorts of stuff if you're willing to wait a bit to have it shipped here.
I follow a few Aussie Navara guys on IG but it seems there is an Aussie D22 formula:

2.5 diesel + UHF antenna on the bull bar + mits alloy canopy on back or canvas tonneau with minimal suspension work lol

If you know of any d22 relevant to a 1g Frontier in NJ feel free to send them my way. I’m a bit ashamed that aside from Paul Foreman the majority of the builds I’m watching are Xterras and tacos

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I follow a few Aussie Navara guys on IG but it seems there is an Aussie D22 formula:

2.5 diesel + UHF antenna on the bull bar + mits alloy canopy on back or canvas tonneau with minimal suspension work lol

If you know of any d22 relevant to a 1g Frontier in NJ feel free to send them my way. I’m a bit ashamed that aside from Paul Foreman the majority of the builds I’m watching are Xterras and tacos
I mean, there aren't a lot of options with the first gens.

Suspension is basically PML, 3" lift, body lift, or SAS (same as the X).

Bed is either Topper, softopper, or tonneau. Bedrack if you want (you could go with a universal rack).

Generally, almost everything that fits a 1st Gen Xterra will fit the frontier (this also applies to the second Gen as well).

I'm a big fan of modifying as the need arises. I still haven't lifter my X, as I've not run into a situation where a lift was required. My frontier on the other hand, has drug its belly already.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I'm a big fan of modifying as the need arises. I still haven't lifter my X, as I've not run into a situation where a lift was required. My frontier on the other hand, has drug its belly already.
Amen

Funny, because our xterra isn’t lifted but our frontier is, with well used Schrock’s skids lol

I see the lack of a swing out tire carrier for the frontier disturbing. I will be making one. I’m surprised by the lack of aftermarket support. The xterra was literally built for this market. I’m also surprised more people don’t just DIY or have more stuff custom fabricated.

I had to modify my snorkel to work because even though it said it was for a 3.3L USDM 1st gen frontier it was actually for a 2.5L diesel

Good thing there is a lot of interchangeability from the xterra because I think otherwise is frontier owners would be without a paddle.

The majority of Aussie D22s are not torsion bar suspension.

Not trying to go on a rant lol
But it’s a good and bad thing because since the aftermarket is so limited each US 1g frontier is pretty unique compared to Tacomas

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Really? I had no idea most international d22's weren't torsion bars. TIL.

Yeah, there's definitely more choices for the Xterra than the Frontier. I mean, my rear tire carrier was a hardcore offroad steel bumper, that we modified and added a swing out to. But yeah, I get where you're coming from.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Really? I had no idea most international d22's weren't torsion bars. TIL.

Yeah, there's definitely more choices for the Xterra than the Frontier. I mean, my rear tire carrier was a hardcore offroad steel bumper, that we modified and added a swing out to. But yeah, I get where you're coming from.
It’d be cool if the USDM ones has coil spring suspension too so we could do spacer lifts etc like all the cool kids lol

But I come with an update on the truck build!! (Insert shock here)

I soldered the feed line for the ham radio antenna using HFT solder and a bic lighter

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It’d be cool if the USDM ones has coil spring suspension too so we could do spacer lifts etc like all the cool kids lol

But I come with an update on the truck build!! (Insert shock here)

I soldered the feed line for the ham radio antenna using HFT solder and a bic lighter
Nice! Now, if you could enlighten me as to the point of this mod, it would be much appreciated. :laughing:

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Nice! Now, if you could enlighten me as to the point of this mod, it would be much appreciated. :laughing:
I’m glad you asked!
On occasion my reception would “skip” often driving over bumpy sections of road. I made sure the bracket and antenna are well grounded but the positive side of the coax cable is just resting on the connection. There is nothing holding it in place. So in theory on bumps it can lose contact momentarily causing the “skipping” effect.

Until now. The solder is making sure there is a solid connection on the feed line between the transceiver and antenna

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I’m glad you asked!
On occasion my reception would “skip” often driving over bumpy sections of road. I made sure the bracket and antenna are well grounded but the positive side of the coax cable is just resting on the connection. There is nothing holding it in place. So in theory on bumps it can lose contact momentarily causing the “skipping” effect.

Until now. The solder is making sure there is a solid connection on the feed line between the transceiver and antenna
Ahh! So it makes the wire larger, thereby maintaining better contact. Brilliant!

Can't say I've run into that problem with either of my Midland gmrs radios, but what a great solution.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I’m glad you asked!

Ahh! So it makes the wire larger, thereby maintaining better contact. Brilliant!

Can't say I've run into that problem with either of my Midland gmrs radios, but what a great solution.
I think it’s more of an issue with the firestik antenna feed line. All my other ones basically already have this done, but the firestik wire is much easier to run and I think the instructions on it say to do this but I’ve just been lazy

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That Kimberley trip was insane!!!

My frontier is the primary family adventure vehicle. About 4 times a year we do about 3 day long trips, just the wife and I. The routes are usually something like a BDR, nothing too extreme, we like to do that scenic and interesting stuff without trying to break the truck.

Although I hope one day we will be able to to do black bear pass and imogene pass but due to logistical limitations we will probably be staying East coast for all of our adventures. Maybe the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway, Georgia Traverse or some of the Trans-America Trail but those are a bit ambitious for a 3 day round trip from northern NJ.

A trip to something like Idaho, Utah, Montana or Alaska would probably result in me never going back to NJ lol. Our “big trip” we are planning for is a fall trip to NH and Maine maybe next year
Ah ya, once you start exploring out west, you’ll closely examine why living in NJ is a positive thing. We wrestled with this reality for years and finally came to the conclusion that Pennsylvania isn’t such a bad place. As a result, a huge part of our retirement budget is spent planning to go and going west to continue exploring the great outback that we have come to love. BTW, your build is exceptionally good. E8E49BEB-1654-4D3C-B06F-9760BC565C70.jpeg