Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
That Kimberley trip was insane!!!

My frontier is the primary family adventure vehicle. About 4 times a year we do about 3 day long trips, just the wife and I. The routes are usually something like a BDR, nothing too extreme, we like to do that scenic and interesting stuff without trying to break the truck.

Although I hope one day we will be able to to do black bear pass and imogene pass but due to logistical limitations we will probably be staying East coast for all of our adventures. Maybe the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway, Georgia Traverse or some of the Trans-America Trail but those are a bit ambitious for a 3 day round trip from northern NJ.

A trip to something like Idaho, Utah, Montana or Alaska would probably result in me never going back to NJ lol. Our “big trip” we are planning for is a fall trip to NH and Maine maybe next year
Yeah, my ultimate, ULTIMATE goal is to get over to Australia again, but this time rent a 4-wheel drive and do Fraser Island and see some other places!

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

My frontier is the primary family adventure vehicle. About 4 times a year we do about 3 day long trips, just the wife and I. The routes are usually something like a BDR, nothing too extreme, we like to do that scenic and interesting stuff without trying to break the truck.

Although I hope one day we will be able to to do black bear pass and imogene pass but due to logistical limitations we will probably be staying East coast for all of our adventures. Maybe the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway, Georgia Traverse or some of the Trans-America Trail but those are a bit ambitious for a 3 day round trip from northern NJ.

A trip to something like Idaho, Utah, Montana or Alaska would probably result in me never going back to NJ lol. Our “big trip” we are planning for is a fall trip to NH and Maine maybe next year
Yeah, my ultimate, ULTIMATE goal is to get over to Australia again, but this time rent a 4-wheel drive and do Fraser Island and see some other places!
The wife and I really liked Graham’s solo adventure from last year. I would like to check out Western Australia like he did. …and maybe try to visit Oombulgari lol.
I’m just not sure how keen I am visiting a place where even the butterflies are poisonous and trying to kill me lol

• Haha
Reactions: GLOCKer

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
The wife and I really liked Graham’s solo adventure from last year. I would like to check out Western Australia like he did. …and maybe try to visit Oombulgari lol.
I’m just not sure how keen I am visiting a place where even the butterflies are poisonous and trying to kill me lol
I got to spend a week in Sydney a couple years back and we did a day trip out of the city. I absolutely loved every minute of our stay and I can't wait to get back to Australia one day. I really want to go back and do something like this:

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I got to spend a week in Sydney a couple years back and we did a day trip out of the city. I absolutely loved every minute of our stay and I can't wait to get back to Australia one day. I really want to go back and do something like this:
Yea that looks like it would be a very epic trip! If I went to Aus I would probably be stuck trying to figure out how to bring home all the Adventure Kings crap I blew my money on lol

When was the last time you were in NJ?

Your truck setup is classic! I’m curious, how do you power camp? Do you travel by yourself or with family? How long do you usually go out for?

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Yea that looks like it would be a very epic trip! If I went to Aus I would probably be stuck trying to figure out how to bring home all the Adventure Kings crap I blew my money on lol

Your truck setup is classic! I’m curious, how do you power camp? Do you travel by yourself or with family? How long do you usually go out for?
I was in NJ back in the beginning of June this year for the funeral of a relative that dies back in 2019. Unfortunately her arrangements where COVID delayed. It was nice getting back to visit family, honor my aunt, and eat some good food! I stayed at a relative's bay house in South Jersey. I actually drove my Ranger up there from GA because I didn't want to be stuck on a plane for hours wearing a mask! HAHAHA! I was actually hoping I could find some place in South Jersey where I could possibly do some beach camping, but I couldn't find any place that allows it.

Here's my truck at The Villas near Cape May in South Jersey.
2021-06-04 10.45.08.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any overnight camping trips in! Every time I get one scheduled, it gets canceled or something else comes up and I have to cancel. I'm actually almost to the point where I'm thinking about taking vacation time just so I can go get some camping in!

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

I was in NJ back in the beginning of June this year for the funeral of a relative that dies back in 2019. Unfortunately her arrangements where COVID delayed. It was nice getting back to visit family, honor my aunt, and eat some good food! I stayed at a relative's bay house in South Jersey. I actually drove my Ranger up there from GA because I didn't want to be stuck on a plane for hours wearing a mask! HAHAHA! I was actually hoping I could find some place in South Jersey where I could possibly do some beach camping, but I couldn't find any place that allows it.

Here's my truck at The Villas near Cape May in South Jersey.
View attachment 206883

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any overnight camping trips in! Every time I get one scheduled, it gets canceled or something else comes up and I have to cancel. I'm actually almost to the point where I'm thinking about taking vacation time just so I can go get some camping in!
I’m really sorry to hear about your aunt.

We always take vacation time to do our trips. Beach camping is illegal in NJ. I would love to do it as well, is it legal in GA?

We also drive everywhere because I being cooped up on a bus/plane and dealing with the nonsense that comes with that.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby

We always take vacation time to do our trips. Beach camping is illegal in NJ. I would love to do it as well, is it legal in GA?

We also drive everywhere because I being cooped up on a bus/plane and dealing with the nonsense that comes with that.
I think there are places where it's legal in GA. I know some folks that go to the Carolinas and Florida to beach camp. My only concern about beach camping in GA is if the sites are vehicle accessible.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

I think there are places where it's legal in GA. I know some folks that go to the Carolinas and Florida to beach camp. My only concern about beach camping in GA is if the sites are vehicle accessible.
That’s a must. Side note: if you go to PA state forest camp sites some of them are kinda unique in they are and aren’t vehicle camp sites. Now I wish I took a picture…
But there is a flat level spot to park the vehicle at each site and it’s separated from the fire ring and table by some yellow bars.
At first I was a little frustrated but by time we left I kinda liked it. If we wanted to we could’ve just set up camp around the truck. The fire pit and table were about 2 truck lengths from the parking spot.

The camp site I stayed at near Milford Pa was a more traditional spot though

Random, just thought I’d share

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

I will always welcome a fellow Nissan driver out here in the gem state. If you ever make it out here, hit me up. I'll show ya around, and even take you to a few of my favorite spots.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

I will always welcome a fellow Nissan driver out here in the gem state. If you ever make it out here, hit me up. I'll show ya around, and even take you to a few of my favorite spots.
I would love that

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@reaver I just did some research and if I shipped my truck to Idaho it would cost about 4-5k$ plus airfare for the wife and I. I was curious.

Now I know the only way I’m going out west is if NJ goes on another silly lockdown lol
Why would you ship it instead of drive it?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@reaver I just did some research and if I shipped my truck to Idaho it would cost about 4-5k$ plus airfare for the wife and I. I was curious.

Now I know the only way I’m going out west is if NJ goes on another silly lockdown lol
Why would you ship it instead of drive it?
I have between 11pm on Tuesdays and 6pm on Fridays to go on adventure. Google maps said 20 hours nonstop driving to Boise, ID. I assume another 20 to come back. Leaves me with just about one day to enjoy in the area

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have between 11pm on Tuesdays and 6pm on Fridays to go on adventure. Google maps said 20 hours nonstop driving to Boise, ID. I assume another 20 to come back. Leaves me with just about one day to enjoy in the area
Ahh. That makes more sense.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

Sounds like you and the wife will have to make a vacation out of it. There are so many great places to explore here in Idaho. Its a gorgeous state.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

Sounds like you and the wife will have to make a vacation out of it. There are so many great places to explore here in Idaho. Its a gorgeous state.
I watched a Revere Overland video in Idaho and that was just about all it took to put it on the bucket list lol. I heard there’s an Idaho BDR too

Reactions: K12

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I watched a Revere Overland video in Idaho and that was just about all it took to put it on the bucket list lol. I heard there’s an Idaho BDR too
There is. I actually plan on doing it next year. It runs from Nevada, all the way to the Canadian border.

Reactions: Dusther210 and K12

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
There is. I actually plan on doing it next year. It runs from Nevada, all the way to the Canadian border.

Well… in NJ we have the Trans NJ Trail…
…which is 90% paved and only has views of Jersey…

Please strap a camera to your hood and share

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
So far I've only been out in North Georgia. My eventual goal is to get out for trips to Utah, Arizona, and Montana.

By the way, I LOVE that damn YouTube channel!
View attachment 206876
Just saying that tonneau cover and bed rack combo might be the best set up. I don't know how it does in snow, but I bet being able to see out the back of your truck AND the tent being out of the wind must be pretty sweet.

Also I like that 4WD247 sicker lol I just noticed that