Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

As you will notice, I was aware the day after I posted that there is a new radio coming out by Yasue, but it’s not a FTM-400XDR replacement.

Reactions: donmontalvo

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran

As you will notice, I was aware the day after I posted that there is a new radio coming out by Yasue, but it’s not a FTM-400XDR replacement.
Curious if the specs are listed somewhere. Google failed me. I’m happy with my FTM400DRX but you never know.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Curious if the specs are listed somewhere. Google failed me. I’m happy with my FTM400DRX but you never know.
Google didn’t fail you, specs aren’t being released until closer to the release date of the radio.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Google didn’t fail you, specs aren’t being released until closer to the release date of the radio.
As I study for my General license, I’ve got my eye on the Yeasu FT-891 (most likely) or the ICOM IC-7100 (provably not).
I have both of them. And unless you’re planning to do POTA (which is why I got the 891) would actually chose the IC7100 for more power and better ECOMs. Also the IC7100 is a lot easier to use than the 891.

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
I have both of them. And unless you’re planning to do POTA (which is why I got the 891) would actually chose the IC7100 for more power and better ECOMs. Also the IC7100 is a lot easier to use than the 891.
I had to Google for “HAM POTA”. :) Not familiar with those kinds of events. I’m using HAM for off-roading and over-landing, as most of my buddies are running 2M and they monitor two channels. Which is why I bought the FTR-400DX.

As I get closer to retirement I’m growing more interested in reaching out around the world. My first assignment in the US Army was a year in Izmit, Turkey (1979). I wish I could reach out to my friends there.

The idea that I can cover most if not all bands with one radio is appealing.

Reactions: Murfman and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I had to Google for “HAM POTA”. :) Not familiar with those kinds of events. I’m using HAM for off-roading and over-landing, most of my buddies are running 2M and they monitor two channels. Which is why I bought the FTR-400DX.

As i get closer to retirement I’m growing more interested in reaching out around the world. My first assignment in the US Army was a hear in Izmit, Turkey. The idea that I can cover most if not all bands with one radio is appealing.
Yes, that is why the IC7100 is the better choice.

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Yes, that is why the IC7100 is the better choice.
I’m assuming or hoping the ICON IC-7100 face plate can be mounted in a Jeep? It seems to stick out a bit on the bottom edge.

Murfman

Rank I

Contributor III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Murphy
I had to Google for “HAM POTA”. :) Not familiar with those kinds of events. I’m using HAM for off-roading and over-landing, as most of my buddies are running 2M and they monitor two channels. Which is why I bought the FTR-400DX.

As I get closer to retirement I’m growing more interested in reaching out around the world. My first assignment in the US Army was a year in Izmit, Turkey (1979). I wish I could reach out to my friends there.

The idea that I can cover most if not all bands with one radio is appealing.
1/4 watt will work the world!