First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I have a couple of options this year either Tuk or Haida Gwaii, both are on the longish side time-wise.

Tuk would be about 24 days from Vancouver up and back and just under 7821 Km round trip.

Hadia Gwaii is about 3600 Km round trip - not including travel on the island itself, plus a ferry ( 8 hours 205.00 CDN return) I have not spec'd this out yet but would expect 14 to 20 days as I plan on a week on the island.

I will post route plans as things firm up, I have noticed there are a few groups going to Tuk, and if I can join one of those that would be my preferred option.

Last edited:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
A few basics:
  • Total distance 7821 Km or about 4860 miles round trip
    Estimated fuel cost for a Disco V8 $4021.00 based on fuel running $1.90 /liter (includues taxes)and an average range of 400 KM. Far better to guess high on this one.
    Number of days on the road 20 to 24 - based on 7 hour driving days averaging 70 Kph.(45mph) That factors in gas, bio, and fuel breaks and 2 days cushion - stuff happens
Vehicle load:
  • Dry food for the trip everything gets brutally expensive the further north you go
    Discos 40 liter to 60 liters of spare fuel on board
    2 full sized spares - ideally mounted
    Some basic spares: belt, rad hoses,fuses,coil packs
    Tools - basic tool roll to deal with small repairs
    Other - Duct tape, Seals All, self tapping screws, some sheet aluminum and sheers.
    Fluids - oil, AF, I need transfer case gear oil I have a leak and might have to top up.
    Bear spray is a must
    Bug spray is a must
    Lots of fresh water - I carry 5 gals
    Clothes for 3 weeks - covering both warm and cold
Time is the killer for trip like this, if I was not newly unemployed it would be very iffy. My wife is ok with it as long as there is at least one other truck,something about my age and her nerves

Currently working the return trip, there are a few things to consider, for both ways really but more so on the return. I do not think this should be a "power" drive, just get from Vancouver to Tuk and back as fast as possible, you need tourist time.

That means stopping:
  • At odd little stores and sites along the way
    To take pictures and enjoy the scenery where opportunities present
    Place like Dawson city or other tourist type spots
    Or just staying over someplace to rest and regroup
You need to have a plan, but it needs to be flexible with in reason. Ideally I prefer making the the longer stops on the way home it slows the rush to get home and you are closer each day, giving more opportunity take your time.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Basic day-to-day up done, this is not a hard push and will take about 7-9 days - planned this 3 years ago then Covid.

Note there is not a lot of Tourist time indicated depending on the group which may add several days to the trip. That will be decided among the group if this ends up being a go. The return will be much slower.
As well once past Dawson City travel times are going to depend on road conditions as the indicated times being the largely best case so more time may be required.

Day 1 - 2 possible routes up the Fraser Canyon - faster or up the Sea to Sky Highway more scenic, but a greater chance of getting caught behind slow movers.
Camping off one of the forest service roads

Day 2 Quesnel to Kitwanga area

Camping at Kitwancool Lake not many spots but this likely going to be a small group

Day 3 Kitiwanga to Dease Lake

Camping along Dease Lake

Day 4 Dease Lake to Whitehorse - this might be a hotel night get a shower and cleaned up - otherwise camping.

Day 5 Whitehorse to Dawson city then on to the Dempster this is a longer day about 8.5 hours this also an optional stay over point adding a day
Camping at Chapman Lake

Day 6 Another longer day Chapman Lake to Ft. Macpherson 8.5 hours we can stop along the way at Eagle Plains if required

Day 7 Ft Macpherson to Tuk. A couple of things on this stretch there is a ferry that can delay you for hours or days. Rain also dramatically slows you down.

So Inuvik is the the mid point stop if required.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Haida Gwaii is beautiful but has limited road access to most of the Island.

haida.jpg

Although this area sounds good

Location: Rennell Sound is located northwest of Queen Charlotte City on the west coast of Graham Island in Haida Gwaii. To reach these shores, travel north from Queen Charlotte City on graveled Skidegate Main Line Forest Road for about 25 miles (40 km). The road divides north and south along Rennell Sound. Watch for beach access points in either direction. The road negotiates a steep hogback ridge dropping down to Shields Bay at the head of Rennell Sound.

Rennell Sound is the only point on the west coast accessible by road, but the final descent from the alpine down to the shore is a startling 24% gradient, one of the steepest public roads in North America. The Hill is not suitable for large campers and trailers. Check your brakes before making the steep descent down to the coast. Surface conditions on the Rennell Sound Forest Service road are not the best – the current condition of the road can be confirmed at the Visitor Centre in Queen Charlotte City.

Reactions: Sea Diamond

Redruby

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Blau
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO7SHR
I’ve done Inuvik and this year I’m planning to get to Tuk as well as Prudhoe Bay, I’m planning a 3-4 month trip, if you have any questions let me know and I’ll try to answer them

Reactions: rgallant

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
So as I was setting up to swap alternators (temporary to new) I went down the spare parts rabbit hole. Now 5000 miles is not a huge amount of miles, but Murphy can be a bit of a problem.

So I thought about what I realistically can fix on the road, it is a pretty short list, I drive a 2004 LR Discovery 2 so parts are pretty much order in no matter where you are.

• Battery and alternator - if either fails it is a problem. As I have spares they will come along it is only a 20-minute job to swap alternators.
  • Serpentine belt - this is the event mine looks damaged. When they break they tend to bust things.
  • Serpentine belt for a non-AC truck - if the compressor fails or gets dodgy it is an easy bypass.
  • Cooling system hoses and expansion tank, the tank is plastic and they have been known to crack.
  • Headlight and tail light bulbs
  • Rubber isolator for the rear drive shaft - also easy although annoying to change
  • Mini grease gun - to manage the front drive shaft
And that is it beyond normal things like AF, Oil, spare tire etc.

People go crazy on this stuff, the reality is anything major is not a roadside fix, which is why I carry the equivalent of AAA at least I can get towed. Once you are in a town no matter how small you have options.

Further on this thought line is to have a full mechanical check of the things I can not do myself done this spring, so tire rod ends, ball joints, engine, transmission, and transfer case mounts. Then at least I know I am starting out in solid shape

Reactions: MOAK

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
To help calibrate your thoughts (I hope it's helpful).

We wandered from Vancouver to Tuktoyaktuk and back via Yellowknife last year. It took us 60 days, however it was much more of a wander than an A to B to A trip (see map - which inlcudes a further 5 weeks Vancouver to Alberta and back). Our blog for this trip is at AROUND - Canada 2022 & 2023 in case it's of value.

re spares - we took some tools, spare bulbs and fuses, Duck Tape, tiewraps, a compressor and tyre repair kit, and nothing else. This was based on experience over the last 4 "big trips" during which we've whittled down the stuff we carry progressively.

We took one spare wheel/tyre - I can provide the underlying logic however in a nutshell we've carried two spares on a couple of long trips (90,000 km in total for these two) and on one we needed no spare at all, and on the other needed one. On the trip last year we did have two flat tyres but didn't need the spare.

You shouldn;t need spare fuel, assuming your fuel; consumption is as expected for your vehicle - our range was 700 km with the standard tank and to get to Tuktoyaktuk and back you don't need more than 500 km.

We'll get to Haida Gwaii at some point, but haven;t yet been there.

Western Canada 2022.png

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Alanymarce yea 400 maybe 450 to the low fuel light on the Discovery, on 90 odd liter tank, you have 20 left but that is sucking the bottom. - that big V8 and the weight sucks up gas. I carry 40 liters as a just in case gets me another 200ish.

Thanks for your thoughts, I tend to wander too

Reactions: Alanymarce

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A few basics:
  • Total distance 7821 Km or about 4860 miles round trip
    Estimated fuel cost for a Disco V8 $4021.00 based on fuel running $1.90 /liter (includues taxes)and an average range of 400 KM. Far better to guess high on this one.
    Number of days on the road 20 to 24 - based on 7 hour driving days averaging 70 Kph.(45mph) That factors in gas, bio, and fuel breaks and 2 days cushion - stuff happens
Vehicle load:
  • Dry food for the trip everything gets brutally expensive the further north you go
    Discos 40 liter to 60 liters of spare fuel on board
    2 full sized spares - ideally mounted
    Some basic spares: belt, rad hoses,fuses,coil packs
    Tools - basic tool roll to deal with small repairs
    Other - Duct tape, Seals All, self tapping screws, some sheet aluminum and sheers.
    Fluids - oil, AF, I need transfer case gear oil I have a leak and might have to top up.
    Bear spray is a must
    Bug spray is a must
    Lots of fresh water - I carry 5 gals
    Clothes for 3 weeks - covering both warm and cold
Time is the killer for trip like this, if I was not newly unemployed it would be very iffy. My wife is ok with it as long as there is at least one other truck,something about my age and her nerves

Currently working the return trip, there are a few things to consider, for both ways really but more so on the return. I do not think this should be a "power" drive, just get from Vancouver to Tuk and back as fast as possible, you need tourist time.

That means stopping:
  • At odd little stores and sites along the way
    To take pictures and enjoy the scenery where opportunities present
    Place like Dawson city or other tourist type spots
    Or just staying over someplace to rest and regroup
You need to have a plan, but it needs to be flexible with in reason. Ideally I prefer making the the longer stops on the way home it slows the rush to get home and you are closer each day, giving more opportunity take your time.
I’m watching this thread as we will be along with two other vehicles, leaving Pennsylvania July 1st. That is great advice- 2 spares? Hmmm, I’m gonna think on that a bit. What do you think of one mounted and the other a carcass?

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I’m watching this thread as we will be along with two other vehicles, leaving Pennsylvania July 1st. That is great advice- 2 spares? Hmmm, I’m gonna think on that a bit. What do you think of one mounted and the other a carcass?
Not necessary:

On this type of trip our experience is four "big trips" and lots of shorter trips (anything from a weekend to a few weeks - Botswana, RSA, Zimbabwe, North Africa, Central Africa, North, Central, and South America, Asia, Europe). On the shorter trips we've had one puncture in the last three decades (deep Sahara on very sharp "heat-treated" shards of rock), and have never taken or needed a second spare.

On our 11 months around South America we had 5 punctures - two were sharp rocks on an unsurfaced "road" in Bolivia (the second 13 Km after the first - we repaired the first, the second tyre was destroyed), the others were due to sharp metal debris on the highways. The main highways are often littered with nails, bolts, and other debris.We took only one spare, and the only time we ended up having to travel with none (the second puncture in Bolivia) we had to travel a couple of hundred Km on the same "road" - I agree that this was a bit worrying, however had we experienced another unrepairable puncture we'd still have been able to deal with it by hitching a ride to the nearest town etc., Although there was very little traffic (a vehicle every 50 Km or so) we could have sorted it out in a couple of days. We had no further punctures prior to replacing the spare.

On our last "big trip" in Africa we had zero punctures in 45,000 Km (Nairobi to Cape Town and back, with a lot of travel in remote areas). We carried two spares and needed none at all. We did have trouble with punctures in a vehicle we rented in Uganda for a week when we were having our own vehicle serviced - the tyres were in poor shape, however on our own vehicle, with good tyres, we had no punctures at all.

On our "big trip" around Australia (including GRR, Simpson, a lot of gravel and sand) we had one puncture in 45,000 Km, on a rough gravel road. We carried a second spare for part of the trip (WA government advice for the GRR) and never needed it.

On our 5 months in Canada in 2022 (24,000 km) we took one spare and didn't need it. We did have two flat tyres, on the Dempster (in the section “repaired” with razor-sharp shale fragments) however repaired both flat tyres and didn't need the spare at all.

So, our view now is that carrying a second spare uses up space, adds more weight and lifts the CoG (or puts the weight at the rear of the vehicle adding to polar moment of inertia and leverage on the rear suspension), and is really unnecessary. We've never actually had to use a second spare in the last 50 + years. On a risk-weighted basis the chances of two punctures both of which destroy a tyre are so low as to be negligible.

As long as your tyres are appropriate and in good condition, you carry a repair kit (and know how to use it) and a compressor, I believe you'll be fine with one spare.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@MOAK it seems to be pretty hit or miss on the Dempster, lots of folks have zero issues and some have no luck. The shale is the problem it is like little tiny knives, airing down a bit and dropping your speed is the best protection.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
@MOAK it seems to be pretty hit or miss on the Dempster, lots of folks have zero issues and some have no luck. The shale is the problem it is like little tiny knives, airing down a bit and dropping your speed is the best protection.
Yes - one day we fixed 6 flat tyres on the Dempster - one on a trailer, one on a camper, three (simultaneously) on a pick-up, and one on our own vehicle. We used two spares (one on the camper, one on the pick-up) and fixed the rest. We had no need for more than one spare wheel/tyre on any of the vehicles (and never used our spare at all).

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
To help calibrate your thoughts (I hope it's helpful).

We wandered from Vancouver to Tuktoyaktuk and back via Yellowknife last year. It took us 60 days, however it was much more of a wander than an A to B to A trip (see map - which inlcudes a further 5 weeks Vancouver to Alberta and back). Our blog for this trip is at AROUND - Canada 2022 & 2023 in case it's of value.

re spares - we took some tools, spare bulbs and fuses, Duck Tape, tiewraps, a compressor and tyre repair kit, and nothing else. This was based on experience over the last 4 "big trips" during which we've whittled down the stuff we carry progressively.

We took one spare wheel/tyre - I can provide the underlying logic however in a nutshell we've carried two spares on a couple of long trips (90,000 km in total for these two) and on one we needed no spare at all, and on the other needed one. On the trip last year we did have two flat tyres but didn't need the spare.

You shouldn;t need spare fuel, assuming your fuel; consumption is as expected for your vehicle - our range was 700 km with the standard tank and to get to Tuktoyaktuk and back you don't need more than 500 km.

We'll get to Haida Gwaii at some point, but haven;t yet been there.

View attachment 253921
What a fantastic adventure! Will be checking out your Around Canada blog...hopefully I can open (in China). Kayaked from Vancouver to Ketchikan back in the day so I kinda know what that part of the world can offer....just gorgeous!

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
SOunds like a great trip by kayak!
Yuppers...was definitely epic and taught me many a lesson I've carried throughout my somewhat vagabond life.

This thread caught my attention because of my love of British Columbia and the attention to detail you all seem to have for preparation. Total respect....

Currently on the other side of the World making preparations for a 6 month tour of western China. For sure a tire repair kit will be included ;-)