Mojave Flyer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Esslingen, Germany
First Name
Jim
Last Name
B
Hello all. New to Overland Bound. Many years experience hiking, RV camping, trail horseback camping, but new to the overland community. In southern Germany for a few years for work and saw all of the great overlanding videos of the western alps of Italy and France and decided we have to experience it.

I have a 2004 BMW X5 3.0. COVID has prevented much travel lately so I am using the time to get my stuff together to hit the trails as soon as we can. Would love to hear from anyone in Southern Germany or anyone that has any tips for a BMW X5. Chose the X5 because it is the vehicle I have and since I've owned it since new, I know the maintenance and reliability. Got a few things in the works like tires, wheels, and suspension overhaul (bushings, shocks, etc.) to make sure everything is in tip top shape.

Look forward to hearing from the community!

Jim

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Jim,

Welcome to OB! Enjoy!

Hopefully we can meet on some trails soon once these C19 restrictions are over and it is responsible to meet again!

Because we cannot meet in person at the moment we have launched the virtual OB Mid Europe campfire. The next will be on 29th January at 8PM CET. If you like your are welocme to join for some good talks. All details in the Rally Point:

Cheers, Björn

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hello all. New to Overland Bound. Many years experience hiking, RV camping, trail horseback camping, but new to the overland community. In southern Germany for a few years for work and saw all of the great overlanding videos of the western alps of Italy and France and decided we have to experience it.

I have a 2004 BMW X5 3.0. COVID has prevented much travel lately so I am using the time to get my stuff together to hit the trails as soon as we can. Would love to hear from anyone in Southern Germany or anyone that has any tips for a BMW X5. Chose the X5 because it is the vehicle I have and since I've owned it since new, I know the maintenance and reliability. Got a few things in the works like tires, wheels, and suspension overhaul (bushings, shocks, etc.) to make sure everything is in tip top shape.

Look forward to hearing from the community!

Jim
Welcome Jim! There are definitely some nice trips to be had in Italy and France. If you're planning a trip and would like some tips, just let me know. We spent 2 weeks in the West Alps last year before the lockdown. This was our third trip to the area. The Mid-Europe group has some regular meets throughout the year so keep your eyes on the Rally Points once things settle down. Look forward to seeing you on the trail... Until then, all the best.

Rick

Mojave Flyer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Esslingen, Germany
First Name
Jim
Last Name
B
Welcome Jim! There are definitely some nice trips to be had in Italy and France. If you're planning a trip and would like some tips, just let me know. We spent 2 weeks in the West Alps last year before the lockdown. This was our third trip to the area. The Mid-Europe group has some regular meets throughout the year so keep your eyes on the Rally Points once things settle down. Look forward to seeing you on the trail... Until then, all the best.

Rick
Hey Rick. That is great news. The western alps trip is in the works this summer. I have watched every YouTube on the area, bought a couple guide books, and downloaded all the map apps. Would love to see the routes you took and where you camped along the way. Fort Jafferau is the highlight but the whole area looks spectacular.

Will definitely be in touch.

Thanks,
Jim

Reactions: NotGumby

PaytenD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bernkastel-Kues, Germany
First Name
Payten
Last Name
Dampeer
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hello everyone I’m Payten and I just moved here to Germany near Bernkastle. We love to camp and get out and enjoy nature with likeminded people! We can’t wait for these covid restrictions to lift so that we can explore. I’ve come to find that the language barrier is much more tough than I thought it would be.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello everyone I’m Payten and I just moved here to Germany near Bernkastle. We love to camp and get out and enjoy nature with likeminded people! We can’t wait for these covid restrictions to lift so that we can explore. I’ve come to find that the language barrier is much more tough than I thought it would be.

Hi Payten,

So also here again a welcome and to OB and welcome to Germany!

As already said, we have established a virtual campfire for OB Europe for the current period when we cannot meet in person. If you like you are weclome to join! Next one will be on 7th May 8PM CET. Details in the Rally Point:

That is a nice rig which is not so common in Germany!

And now good arrive, have fun looking around here and I hope to see you on some trails soon!

If you have any questions in the meantime, please let me know. I am always happy to help!

Cheers,
Björn

Reactions: PaytenD

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Payten,

Welcome to the Forum, but most of all welcome to the community.

If I can help with questions, and providing info I am happy to do so.

Just go to the Europe section of this forum to find more specific info about Europe.

You will find nearly everything on the forum in generall about Overlanding. So just dive in and have fun.

Join us also in the whatsapp group for Mid Europe and our Facebook page.

Facebook Groups

Europe Overland Bound

Enjoy your stay here and I hope to see you somewhere out on a track/event. Hopefully soon if Covid doesnt mess up again.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: El-Dracho

TangoRomeo7688

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wadern, Deutschland
First Name
Tobias
Last Name
Ripperger
Hi there,

my name is Tobias, 33 years young and I live in Wadern, Germany.

I am a huntsman, using my Rig, a 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 door, actually as my daily and my hunting car.

In future, we will travel the world with car and that's why I am here. To meet some people who also love this way of life and to get some help within the beginning, as I am a novice to overlanding.

At the moment I am building my drawer system. After that, well, we will see what changes will be made to the rig.

Regards,

Tobias

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Tobias,

Welcome to the Forum, but most of all welcome to the community.

If I can help with questions, and providing info I am happy to do so.

Just go to the Europe section of this forum to find more specific info about Europe.

You will find nearly everything on the forum in generall about Overlanding. So just dive in and have fun.

Join us also in the whatsapp group for Mid Europe and our Facebook page.

Facebook Groups

Europe Overland Bound

Enjoy your stay here and I hope to see you somewhere out on a track/event.

Greetings from Robert

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hi there,

my name is Tobias, 33 years young and I live in Wadern, Germany.

I am a huntsman, using my Rig, a 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 door, actually as my daily and my hunting car.

In future, we will travel the world with car and that's why I am here. To meet some people who also love this way of life and to get some help within the beginning, as I am a novice to overlanding.

At the moment I am building my drawer system. After that, well, we will see what changes will be made to the rig.

Regards,

Tobias
Welcome again Tobias! Glad to see you connected to the WhatsApp group. There is a wealth of information here for you and specifically for your Jeep. Keep your eye on the forums for Mid-Europe. Hopefully there will be a meet soon. The next big meet is the gathering at Bad Kissingen for the Abenteuer & Allrad Messe in October. If you haven’t been, you should definitely come. The Messe is great - lots of ideas. The campground - with 100s of rigs - has those ideas umgesetzt. There is a rally point set up. Maybe we’ll see you there, or somewhere else on the trail.

Until then, all the best.
Rick

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Tobias!

Welcome to OverlandBound! Enjoy the time here. You will find plenty of information around overlanding here. If I can help with something, just let me know, please. Always happy to help.

Cheers
Björn

StealthRoamer

Rank II

Member I

Belgium
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Mary
Member #

Hi everyone.

New to the forum so wanted to introduce myself here.
We are a couple in our 30's from Belgium with a dog (German pointer).
We've been using our 09 Ram for some years now to overland trough Europe.

Our dream would be to restore our 86 M1009 (military version of the K5 Blazer), convert it in a camper and roam a good part of the world with it.

until now we have been traveling solo so we are really looking forward to meet some of you guys on some muddy tracks or share some awesome views.
greetings.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi everyone.

Our dream would be to restore our 86 M1009 (military version of the K5 Blazer), convert it in a camper and roam a good part of the world with it.

until now we have been traveling solo so we are really looking forward to meet some of you guys on some muddy tracks or share some awesome views.
greetings.
Welcome to Overland Bound! Enjoy and check out the different forum sections, you will find plenty of information regarding overlanding. Also look for the upcoming events in Europe in the Rally Points and join these events if you like.

Cheers, Björn

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hi everyone.

greetings.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

The Abenteuer U. Allrad Messe is happening in Bad Kissingen October 21-24. A lot of OB members will be there. Perhaps a visit fits in your plans? Hope to met you at an event soon.

Best regards,
Rick

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Welcome to Overland Bound!

The Abenteuer U. Allrad Messe is happening in Bad Kissingen October 21-24. A lot of OB members will be there. Perhaps a visit fits in your plans? Hope to met you at an event soon.

Best regards,
Rick
Thanks, Rick, for pointing that out. In addition, here is the link to the corresponding Rally Point

Cheers, Björn

wilderwhere

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Hilversum, Netherlands
First Name
Jan
Last Name
David
Member #

Hi folks,

I've introduced myself over at the new members section, but wanted to say Hi here as well.

The short version of a longer story is that I've had a few rough months, which made me realize that I need to find a better balance in life. I've always planned to eventually explore Europe, go hiking or mountain biking, and pick up my photography hobby again. But with the experience of the last few months behind me, I've realized that I can't wait any longer. I have an opportunity coming up to take some time off, and I want to use that to get some distance, ground myself in nature, and then ask myself a few hard questions about what changes I need to make in my life.

I'm a German living in the Netherlands, but I've not seen much of Europe yet. I also haven't done much traveling yet in general, and I don't think that I ever went camping. With winter coming up, the short-term goal is to take it easy and start with a few multi-day trips around the Netherlands and maybe Germany. Nothing fancy, just some time alone on the road and outdoors, probably staying in hostels or hotels until the weather gets better. Next year, if time and budget permit it, I would love to spend a few weeks exploring Scandinavia or Iberia. And try out this camping thing...

My current "rig" is a Saab 9-7X, which is essentially a re-badged Chevy Trailblazer. But for a variety of reasons, some of which are logical and some of which are emotional, I am considering upgrading the car to something like a Jeep Cherokee, Land Cruiser 90 or 120, or something similar.

Hope we'll have a chance to meet once COVID gets better. Stay safe out there!

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hi folks,

I've introduced myself over at the new members section, but wanted to say Hi here as well.

The short version of a longer story is that I've had a few rough months, which made me realize that I need to find a better balance in life. I've always planned to eventually explore Europe, go hiking or mountain biking, and pick up my photography hobby again. But with the experience of the last few months behind me, I've realized that I can't wait any longer. I have an opportunity coming up to take some time off, and I want to use that to get some distance, ground myself in nature, and then ask myself a few hard questions about what changes I need to make in my life.

I'm a German living in the Netherlands, but I've not seen much of Europe yet. I also haven't done much traveling yet in general, and I don't think that I ever went camping. With winter coming up, the short-term goal is to take it easy and start with a few multi-day trips around the Netherlands and maybe Germany. Nothing fancy, just some time alone on the road and outdoors, probably staying in hostels or hotels until the weather gets better. Next year, if time and budget permit it, I would love to spend a few weeks exploring Scandinavia or Iberia. And try out this camping thing...

My current "rig" is a Saab 9-7X, which is essentially a re-badged Chevy Trailblazer. But for a variety of reasons, some of which are logical and some of which are emotional, I am considering upgrading the car to something like a Jeep Cherokee, Land Cruiser 90 or 120, or something similar.

Hope we'll have a chance to meet once COVID gets better. Stay safe out there!
Welcome Jan! Thanks for the great introduction! There is a lot of knowledge here to help you on the way. The Mid-Europe group is pretty active. Please check the Rally points for the upcoming meets. Hope to see you at one soon! I’d love to see a picture of your rig. I’ve never heard of the Saab 9-7X!

Rick