Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Are you backpacking the CDT through Silver City in early August? Seems early in Silver City for SOBO through hiking? Section hiking would be nice, but still on the hot side in early August.
We are going south to north with jeeps on the CDT. We did it two years ago and will be taking a new group this time.

Reactions: EStokes

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

Angel Fire, Colfax County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Are you backpacking the CDT through Silver City in early August? Seems early in Silver City for SOBO through hiking? Section hiking would be nice, but still on the hot side in early August.
We are going south to north with jeeps on the CDT. We did it two years ago and will be taking a new group this time.
I’m interested in the route, having backpacked the CDT in 2021 with my son. Most of it is a hiking and horse trail. Curious how much you can piece together for an overlanding trail. Definitely quite a few beautiful spots where forest road crosses or follows along the trail.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I’m interested in the route, having backpacked the CDT in 2021 with my son. Most of it is a hiking and horse trail. Curious how much you can piece together for an overlanding trail. Definitely quite a few beautiful spots where forest road crosses or follows along the trail.
It runs about 50 miles on either side of the CDT hiking trail, aprox 2300 miles off road. If you want the track it is on OB1 and if you message me @Kent R with your email address I can send you the GPX

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

It runs about 50 miles on either side of the CDT hiking trail, aprox 2300 miles off road. If you want the track it is on OB1 and if you message me @Kent R with your email address I can send you the GPX
Can you please give me details on how long you have planned for this to take as an overload adventure? Have you broken the duration down by state?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
in 2021 it took us 16 days from NM / Mex boarder to MT / Can boarder. This time our group is a little more deversified so I am scheduling 21 days on the trail.
The track is continuous not broken down. There are over 250 camp locations plus the ones we picked, they are all on the GPX

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for the thread reference and the GPX.

Having taken 6 months to hike it, it blows my mind that you Overlanded it in 16 days!

Ok this is on my list next year once I get the dedicated rig to go with the trailer I’ve got.
I will be updating the track after August and will post it once again.

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Having taken 6 months to hike it, it blows my mind that you Overlanded it in 16 days!

Ok this is on my list next year once I get the dedicated rig to go with the trailer I’ve got.
I will be updating the track after August and will post it once again.
I’ve added two additional attractions near your CDT Overland Route. I’ll continue to review my photos and see if I can find others.

La Ventana National Arch

VLBA Very Long Baseline Array

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I’ve added two additional attractions near your CDT Overland Route. I’ll continue to review my photos and see if I can find others.

La Ventana National Arch

VLBA Very Long Baseline Array
I approved them earlier, thanks for adding to the app it makes a huge difference

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Here's another, although we diverted off the CDR in Colorado :