Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I'll jump in here for the planning and discussion. I'd love to do this and May seems like a great time of year. Thanks for starting this!!

Reactions: Desmo900

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

NM is always a winner. Got another trip on my calendar with Dos Tacos' May trip to Big Bend but if something happens with that trip I'll keep an eye on your trip to see if there's still space.

Reactions: Desmo900

Desmo900

Rank IV

Traveler III

Leander, TX
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Berger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5VKD
I'll jump in here for the planning and discussion. I'd love to do this and May seems like a great time of year. Thanks for starting this!!
Hey, thanks for chiming in. Stay tuned - we’ll how much traction this gets. I did a trip to the Arctic Circle this way and it worked out great. Where are you based out of?

Desmo900

Rank IV

Traveler III

Leander, TX
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Berger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5VKD
NM is always a winner. Got another trip on my calendar with Dos Tacos' May trip to Big Bend but if something happens with that trip I'll keep an eye on your trip to see if there's still space.
Sounds good. I’m hoping we can pull a group together here. Depending on interest, you may be able to jump in. BB is awesome too!

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Hey, thanks for chiming in. Stay tuned - we’ll how much traction this gets. I did a trip to the Arctic Circle this way and it worked out great. Where are you based out of?
Colorado, near Glenwood Springs

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
For some background on the NM BDR, here's my trip report from a couple years ago. I had a great time.

Desmo900

Rank IV

Traveler III

Leander, TX
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Berger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5VKD
For some background on the NM BDR, here's my trip report from a couple years ago. I had a great time.
Great - thank you! Any advice? How many days did you take? TIA

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
We took 6 days, including the drive from Las Cruces, NM to Dell City, TX. Our run through the Mescalero Apache Reservation around Ruidoso was quicker than usual because the reservation roads were all closed so we stayed on pavement.
If I was doing it again I would probably add a day. We hit the Jemez Mountains on a weekend so it was jam-packed with campers and we pushed through all the way into the Tusas mountains past El Rito. I would spend more time in the Jemez, and also around Reserve.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
We took 6 days, including the drive from Las Cruces, NM to Dell City, TX. Our run through the Mescalero Apache Reservation around Ruidoso was quicker than usual because the reservation roads were all closed so we stayed on pavement.
If I was doing it again I would probably add a day. We hit the Jemez Mountains on a weekend so it was jam-packed with campers and we pushed through all the way into the Tusas mountains past El Rito. I would spend more time in the Jemez, and also around Reserve.
In your opinion......aside from wet weather and mud, is this doable with an off road teardrop?

Reactions: Sparksalot

Desmo900

Rank IV

Traveler III

Leander, TX
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Berger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5VKD
Great - thanks for the feedback. I wasn’t sure how many days to allocate but it sounds like a week should be fine for the BDR portion.

Reactions: velo47

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
In your opinion......aside from wet weather and mud, is this doable with an off road teardrop?
I don't think you'd have any problems. Chloride canyon is a little twisty but I think a small offroad trailer would be fine. There is a hairpin at the exit that you might need to 3 point. There's a narrow section with banks on both sides dropping out of Cloudcroft that would be tight if you have to back up for oncoming traffic. And there was one washed out section above Vallecitos that was deeply rutted from the rains. May have been fixed and there was a bypass. We did it in 4wd Sprinters and had no prob.s

Reactions: zgfiredude

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I don't think you'd have any problems. Chloride canyon is a little twisty but I think a small offroad trailer would be fine. There is a hairpin at the exit that you might need to 3 point. There's a narrow section with banks on both sides dropping out of Cloudcroft that would be tight if you have to back up for oncoming traffic. And there was one washed out section above Vallecitos that was deeply rutted from the rains. May have been fixed and there was a bypass. We did it in 4wd Sprinters and had no prob.s
I went up at that point. I did as much of a running start as possible with 2wd.

Reactions: DosTacos

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

I'm definitely interested in doing the NM BDR but leading a Big Bend trip the same month and not sure I can get away with both. I may have to wait until the fall.

Desmo900

Rank IV

Traveler III

Leander, TX
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Berger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5VKD
I am interested in this trip. Keep me informed and I will check back in. Thanks for the planning.
Sounds good, for now still seeing how much interest there is. If you have questions, drop a note. Looking at mid May for now and about a week to do the route itself.