Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

In your opinion......aside from wet weather and mud, is this doable with an off road teardrop?
I completed the CDT portion of NM in late October and purposely left my 5x9 Hiker Trailer at home. My opinion after running this portion which shares some similar sections in the central and northern sections is that IF IT IS WET AND MUDDY, pulling the trailer through the muddy sections would have been a real task. If it is dry no issues.... We were out for 7 days and spent days 2 & 3 slogging through muddy sections that rivaled driving on ice at a few spots. OF course, there are options to remain on pavement when wet so use common sense ----- I missed the trailer camping but glad I wasn't pulling it through the MUD

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I completed the CDT portion of NM in late October and purposely left my 5x9 Hiker Trailer at home. My opinion after running this portion which shares some similar sections in the central and northern sections is that IF IT IS WET AND MUDDY, pulling the trailer through the muddy sections would have been a real task. If it is dry no issues.... We were out for 7 days and spent days 2 & 3 slogging through muddy sections that rivaled driving on ice at a few spots. OF course, there are options to remain on pavement when wet so use common sense ----- I missed the trailer camping but glad I wasn't pulling it through the MUD
Thanks for that! Much appreciated.

cigarsnjeeps

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Smithville, TX, USA
First Name
Kerry
Last Name
Phillips
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5KDP
Any chance there is some trout fishing somewhere along the route? Would be interested if there is a chance to sling some fly lines at some point, and maybe if there isn't.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Any chance there is some trout fishing somewhere along the route? Would be interested if there is a chance to sling some fly lines at some point, and maybe if there isn't.
Best bets along the route are the Jemez between Cuba and Abiquiu, the Chama below the dam at Abiquiu lake, the Rio de los Pinos just south of the CO border, and the Conejos River just north of the Colorado border.

Reactions: Sparksalot

cigarsnjeeps

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Smithville, TX, USA
First Name
Kerry
Last Name
Phillips
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5KDP
Excellent, thanks. Not familiar with the route, but familiar with all of those areas for fishing. Have fished a couple of them. So yeah, if schedules align, I am interested.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Well, my work has scheduled a "retreat" for this week, so I'm reluctantly going to have to pass. Sorry, I was looking forward to this!