New guy with a big rig (and a bigger family) in northern Virginia.

• HTML tutorial

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hi there,

Always found the idea of overlanding attractive, and concerns regarding the longevity/repair costs of my ‘16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel led me to take the plunge for a vehicle that will 1.) have a simpler and more reliable power plant, 2.) cost a bit less, and 3.) do an even better job of hauling my five kids and a dog than my wife’s Expedition EL.

Voila, Excursion!

She’s a ‘00 Limited with a 7.3 Ecodiesel at 245k miles. Runs great so far; predecessor made some engine modifications and the obvious lift, but nothing TOO crazy, and with a decade of service records.

So what’s the plan? Reliable daily driver, camping vehicle with a slow transition (as budget allows) to more of an overlanding rig. Already ordered a new rear bumper with spare tire mount, eyeing a front bumper and winch, tires, and possibly a rooftop tent. That, or a trailer...time will tell!

Attachments

Relic digger

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Selkirk, MB, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Hardy
Member #

Hi there,

Always found the idea of overlanding attractive, and concerns regarding the longevity/repair costs of my ‘16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel led me to take the plunge for a vehicle that will 1.) have a simpler and more reliable power plant, 2.) cost a bit less, and 3.) do an even better job of hauling my five kids and a dog than my wife’s Expedition EL.

Voila, Excursion!

She’s a ‘00 Limited with a 7.3 Ecodiesel at 245k miles. Runs great so far; predecessor made some engine modifications and the obvious lift, but nothing TOO crazy, and with a decade of service records.

So what’s the plan? Reliable daily driver, camping vehicle with a slow transition (as budget allows) to more of an overlanding rig. Already ordered a new rear bumper with spare tire mount, eyeing a front bumper and winch, tires, and possibly a rooftop tent. That, or a trailer...time will tell!
Hi from Manitoba Canada , have you considered Maxtrax or something similar, or do you get bogged often?

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hi there,

Voila, Excursion!

Welcome to OB and the East Region!
If you have any questions or want help planning a trip or meetup of your own feel free to message me or @NovaBound your local member rep.

When looking for events near you check the Calendar at:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/calendar
Looking for a meetup? Check this link:
Overland Bound Meetups
Looking for the U.S. East Forum? Check this link:
U.S. East (VA WV MD DE NJ PA NY CT RI MA NH VT ME)

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Relic digger

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Selkirk, MB, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Hardy
Member #

Definitely on the list. To be honest, I haven't even made it that far yet...slowly gearing the wife up for some more aggressive adventuring!
I hear ya, it’s a cheap way out of boggy situations and a
Definitely on the list. To be honest, I haven't even made it that far yet...slowly gearing the wife up for some more aggressive adventuring!
would be a cheaper way to get out of boggy situations , but tires and suspension are always the main cost , good tent and camping gear and a roof rack to stow your gear will save lots of room in your Beast for that large family of yours. Keep it simple and save for the body armour later.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hi there,

Voila, Excursion!

Welcome from NOVA/DC!!

Reactions: Uberland