Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just starting out in this crazy game, with my wife and two young boys. Looking to learn a lot from this site. View attachment 161268
Welcome to Overland Bound
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Prerunner1982
Your Regional Director is @brien for additional help or information.
FYI, All Overland Expo shows have been cancelled this year. Due to Covid 19 concerns.
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Just starting out in this crazy game, with my wife and two young boys. Looking to learn a lot from this site. View attachment 161268
Welcome from Hunt County.

Make sure you clean that farm jack up and lubricate it properly. Like a knife that isn't sharp sometimes hilifts/farm jacks can be more dangerous than normal when not properly maintained.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
Welcome to OB! Hows the adventuring down there? My family and I are moving near Lufkin in August. Looks like there's not a lot of public lands but I have been checking out the forests down there.

Savin yours

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Brazoria
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Jones
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ZQC
Welcome to OB! Hows the adventuring down there? My family and I are moving near Lufkin in August. Looks like there's not a lot of public lands but I have been checking out the forests down there.
Meh....not much to speak of. We will be making some long trips in the near future, big bend, Colorado, New Mexico......

Reactions: Magic Mike

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Basically non existent. Very little of Texas is public land. The majority of "overland" type routes are basically just graded gravel county and farm roads. Very little in the way of dispersed camping with few exceptions.

If you are used to the land available for various outdoor use in the PACNW you're in for a shock when you get to Texas.

My go to spots for short trips are in Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
Meh....not much to speak of. We will be making some long trips in the near future, big bend, Colorado, New Mexico......
I have been slowly finding out that most of the overlanders down there go north to Oklahoma.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
Basically non existent. Very little of Texas is public land. The majority of "overland" type routes are basically just graded gravel county and farm roads. Very little in the way of dispersed camping with few exceptions.

If you are used to the land available for various outdoor use in the PACNW you're in for a shock when you get to Texas.

My go to spots for short trips are in Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas.
Yeah, LOTS of BLM, national and state forests here to camp and play in. Being near the coast I have to drive 4+ hours to get to the good stuff in Eastern Oregon so driving a few or more hours to Oklahoma and Arkansas wont be a big deal for the family and I after we are there. Honestly we are looking forward to it for more than just overlanding.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome from Central Texas. If you're ever in the area, we have a monthly meeting in Round Rock.

Savin yours

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Brazoria
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Jones
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ZQC
Welcome from Central Texas. If you're ever in the area, we have a monthly meeting in Round Rock.

That sounds good. I’m through that area a lot, my deer lease is in Lampasas.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Bryan, welcome from Oklahoma. I see you are a ham. Hopefully you can join our weekly Friday night Echolink net.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET (00:30 UTC)
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130
If you don't have access to an Echolink/DMR/Allstar enabled repeater you can also use the Echolink app... like many of us do.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. There is also a Taco Tuesday meet up in Houston on the 3rd Tuesday of each month.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.