mikeD1Esel

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Oahu, Hawaii
First Name
Michael
Last Name
DeSerio
Anything in NY? I’m headed there later in the year and looking for anything from NJ north. I’m sure I’ll venture into PA as well, but looking for things close to West Point for weekend trips and farther distance for extended trips.

Reactions: Dusther210

Purpony

Rank I

Member I

CT
First Name
Marc
Last Name
C
Member #

Hey Guys- Im in CT and theres nothing around here that i know of. I enjoy driving the forest roads in the Green Mountain National Forest. Ive found a couple roads up there that are more trail like then roads. Lots of dispersed camping as well up by the airfield. Last year i went up and put over 50 miles on just driving around the dirt roads.
I dont do anything technically, just mainly enjoy dirt roads/ forest roads and camping with the family. Dont like scratches on my daily driver. But always up for looking for nice places to explore. Id like to find some more class 4 roads in VT/NH...seems if you dont know the areas though you really need to put in time and effort to reserach. That and I have no other friends in the area that are really into exploring :(
Id like to build something a little more offroad only in the future.
There is the Trans New Hampshire that ive read about and also the north maine woods like others have stated. Im also interested in heading south and exploring the George Washington National Forest in VA. Looks like tons of forest roads there. Have a look on Gaia Maps if you havnt already.

Green Mountain National Forest.....

Attachments

Dirtjumper4130

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Enfield, Connecticut, United States
First Name
Jay
Last Name
B
Member #

Hey Guys- Im in CT and theres nothing around here that i know of. I enjoy driving the forest roads in the Green Mountain National Forest. Ive found a couple roads up there that are more trail like then roads. Lots of dispersed camping as well up by the airfield. Last year i went up and put over 50 miles on just driving around the dirt roads.
I dont do anything technically, just mainly enjoy dirt roads/ forest roads and camping with the family. Dont like scratches on my daily driver. But always up for looking for nice places to explore. Id like to find some more class 4 roads in VT/NH...seems if you dont know the areas though you really need to put in time and effort to reserach. That and I have no other friends in the area that are really into exploring :(
There is the Trans New Hampshire that ive read about and also the north maine woods like others have stated. Im also interested in heading south and exploring the George Washington National Forest in VA. Looks like tons of forest roads there. Have a look on Gaia Maps if you havnt already.

Check out George Washington state campground on the CT/RI boarder

Attachments

Reactions: steal63

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Anything in NY? I’m headed there later in the year and looking for anything from NJ north. I’m sure I’ll venture into PA as well, but looking for things close to West Point for weekend trips and farther distance for extended trips.
There is a designated state owned off-road park off the Taconic not too far from Fishkill/ Poughkeepsie. A friend took me there about 5 years ago. I haven’t been back since I moved to NJ. It might be the Hereford multi use area but I’m not sure if that’s the place.

The Trans Mass Trail might be closer to you than the NJ pine barrens. It starts on dirt in CT if I remember correctly and has to be WAY more scenic than NJ. Another thing to check out would be the Puppy Dog Route. Starts pretty deep in Mass if you pick the long version.

I recommend checking out the NEBDR. It’s probably my #1 thing to do in the Northeast. It’s like 9 days of driving come the NY/PA border up to the middle of nowhere in Maine, really cool spots to stop at and check out includin Mt Washington, camping along the way and you can hop on and off wherever you want.

I also have the Appalachian Byway which drives right through West Point but every section I’ve been on it has been paved...scenic, but paved

Reactions: doom.trek

Tj.benn22

Rank III

Influencer II

Glens Falls, NY, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Bennett

I'm a hour from Vermont and looking for someone to go with over there

Reactions: Dusther210

waivej

Rank 0

Contributor I

CT
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Foot
Count me in for a local meetup. Time is short these days with the kids but will open up when school starts. I've got a little experience off road and have done my own car maintenance for 25 years. If I ever clean out the garage, I could even host.

Reactions: CareMarc112020

Bostongal62

Rank IV

Member II

Newport, NH, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Clivio
Member #

I just saw this thread. I know it was from a while ago but I’m in NH near the VT border. I would like to do the Appalachian Byway or the Trans. I just bought a 99 Tacoma with shell that I’m converting into a little camper. After mud season it would be nice to meet up with some folks. I hav f not off-roaded but I have backpacked, kayak camped and car camped. Looking forward to doing some exploring off road when weather permits.