mawaw

Rank I

Contributor II

Mississippi, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wood
I have a new ARE Z2 camper top on my 2019 Chevy Silverado and was wanting to install lights on the camper top roof rack. I really don't want to drill a hole in the top to run wires to the battery. I was hoping to run them along the top of the camper top and then go down between the camper top and pickup cab. My concern is that the wires will be seen just as they turn down between the cab and camper. Does anyone have any suggestions for my problem?

Thanks,
Mark

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I have a new ARE Z2 camper top on my 2019 Chevy Silverado and was wanting to install lights on the camper top roof rack. I really don't want to drill a hole in the top to run wires to the battery. I was hoping to run them along the top of the camper top and then go down between the camper top and pickup cab. My concern is that the wires will be seen just as they turn down between the cab and camper. Does anyone have any suggestions for my problem?

Thanks,
Mark
That's the best way to do it. Tuck them into the roof rails the best you can on the inside and drop it down the center of the shell. Run it from there alone the inside of the frame and up through the engine bay or wherever your going to tap in for power. In my experience it's about getting creative. But yes, don't drill the cap. I did do that once. It worked, but it was a stupid move on my part.

mawaw

Rank I

Contributor II

Mississippi, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wood
I was planning to run a light bar and 6 other lights which means I would have a total of 8 wires that will be controlled by 4 different switches. I hope that I can run that many wires and it not look tacky.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

mawaw

Rank I

Contributor II

Mississippi, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wood
I had tried to find me a harness with the right amount of wires I needed and but didn't see anything. I never thought about the 7 way trailer harness. Great idea. Now I just need to find some type of adhesive fastener to keep the harness tight against the camper top to keep it from showing where it makes that turn to go down between the truck and camper top.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I installed 4 LED lights, 2 on each side of my camper shell. I ran the wires in-between the shell and cab, just like you have in mind, then ran it down, and under towards the back and up inside the shell where I have a solar battery. I turn it on/off using a wireless remote fob I got from Amazon. The wireless switch can accomodate up to 4 devices. You could do the same thing up to your main battery.

Reactions: 9Mike2

mawaw

Rank I

Contributor II

Mississippi, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wood
Yeah I am planning to use the Trigger Wireless Controller so that I don’t have to go through the firewall. It has a wireless remote set of switches that you can mount anywhere you want in the vehicle. You can also use your phone to control the lights and even dim them or use them as strobes if you want. Can you post some pictures of how you ran your wires so I can take a look at them.

mawaw

Rank I

Contributor II

Mississippi, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wood
What size wiring should I use to run a light bar and the 6 other lights? The light bar is a Nilight 37" advertised at over 700 watts but I believe it is actually around 150 watts. I have 4 lights at 42w and 2 at 36w.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

Attachments

mawaw

Rank I

Contributor II

Mississippi, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Wood
Appreciate the pictures. Would you have one of the wire on top of the camper and then turning to go down between the truck cab and camper shell. That would give me an idea of how mine might look.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Appreciate the pictures. Would you have one of the wire on top of the camper and then turning to go down between the truck cab and camper shell. That would give me an idea of how mine might look.
I made my own wire loom. The lights have about a foot long of positive/negative wires coming out of them. I connected them all together, two on each side, then connected to central wire that goes down cab.

Top Camper Wires.jpg