My Lowes trailer build

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

looks like a good start. Fenders, I take it you will be adding larger ones that will fit your tires correctly? Most states the trooper will pull over vehicles or their offroad trailers for not having adequate coverage over the tire width & length. The wife & I were pulled over on I40 in Texas because 1 1\2" of tire was past the fenders of my truck. The trooper stated I was marginal on the truck. He also check my trailer & said it was good. They only gave me a verbal warning.

Wanderer81

Rank 0

Traveler I

looks like a good start. Fenders, I take it you will be adding larger ones that will fit your tires correctly? Most states the trooper will pull over vehicles or their offroad trailers for not having adequate coverage over the tire width & length. The wife & I were pulled over on I40 in Texas because 1 1\2" of tire was past the fenders of my truck. The trooper stated I was marginal on the truck. He also check my trailer & said it was good. They only gave me a verbal warning.
Yes, I’m going to either custom fab some or pick a pair up from tractor supply. I’m going to make them wider then the current tires so when I had wider AT tires they will still be good.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: ArkansasDon

Rob Hillis

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Hillis
Member #

Yes, I’m going to either custom fab some or pick a pair up from tractor supply. I’m going to make them wider then the current tires so when I had wider AT tires they will still be good.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Mustve been a picky trooper. Most trucks in Texas have wheels well past the fender.

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

Should be able to reposition the original fenders and be good to go. I like where this is going.

Mustve been a picky trooper. Most trucks in Texas have wheels well past the fender.
This. Pretty sure Texas has no fender coverage law.

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

Good start. That's the same trailer I'm looking at. I like that the deck is roughly the same dimensions as the bed of my short bed Taco.

Brian Bell

Rank 0

Traveler I

I plan on picking up one of these trailers to use as a camping/hunting rig. I'm guessing the first mods I'll need to make will be to do a spring-over and probably add some bigger tires. I'm new to the overland trailer thing and not very vehicle savvy. In order to add bigger tires, will I need to get a heavier axle? If not, how do I know what size tires/wheels to get? Thanks in advance for the help.

Enthusiast I

Bloomfield, NJ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McCarthy
Just looked at these on Lowe's site and a good deal at $399. Would this trailer be long enough to mount two 10ft kayaks on it (after a mod to put on cross beams and kayak carriers)?

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

Just looked at these on Lowe's site and a good deal at $399. Would this trailer be long enough to mount two 10ft kayaks on it (after a mod to put on cross beams and kayak carriers)?
When I had mone, The tongue was 18 inches longer than factory and we had a 12 ft and 10 ft kayaks on mine. Hang red flags off the back and you're good.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
nice start, that's how my 4x6 trailer started out many years ago. One very important lesson I learned. Upgrade that toothpick axle asap with a 3500 lb rated axle. Then upgrade those slipper springs to a softer heavier rated spring with eyelets and shackles. Ask me how I know LOL

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

Have you done any more to your trailer? I thinking of going this route.
Whats the height from the top of the rails to the ground?

Azul

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Greetings,
Any updates? I have a Lowes trailer and never thought of this... Can I please get specifics on the actual rims, spacers, etc... I want to upgrade my tires first... I have two RTTs and though I can put both on my tacom I want one on the truck and one to haul...