My First Overland Trailer Build.

• HTML tutorial

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

I had bought an old wooden dump trailer awhile back and used to carry my old Polaris and odd and end jobs till it finally fell apart. So far Ive striped off all the wood and brass wheeled the rust and old paint and now Im going to paint it with truck bed liner. Im still getting ideas on layout but Ill keep posting up dates as the build comes. Please any ideas or tips are welcome. fullsizeoutput_f2.jpeg

Reactions: Jimmy P

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

My first question would be, What do you want it to do when you are done? This question has saved me a lot of money. Ron

Reactions: Jimmy P

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I watched hours and hours of you tube videos talked with other trailer owners and looked at what the retail market had to offer. Once the research was done we made a list of what was important for a family of four. The conclusion was two separate trailers. One larger camper style for the four of us an one smaller more traditional tear drop for just the boys. Find what fits your needs and build it. Contact us if you need info or have more detailed questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I watched hours and hours of you tube videos talked with other trailer owners and looked at what the retail market had to offer. Once the research was done we made a list of what was important for a family of four. The conclusion was two separate trailers. One larger camper style for the four of us an one smaller more traditional tear drop for just the boys. Find what fits your needs and build it. Contact us if you need info or have more detailed questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app
Wise man. Trying to make one trailer do everything is almost impossible. I put a ton of requirements into my trailer and it became a real big job.

Reactions: Rubicajon

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Solid design thoughts. You'll need to balance trailer weight and tongue weight, loaded and unloaded. I'd try to keep the water tank centered over the axle, then shift the load to keep the correct amount of tongue weight.Ron

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Looks like a pretty solid platform with which to begin.
I would straighten out the crook in the tongue if you plan for a higher clearance build.

I like a torsion axle for clearance if you intend to drag it through those types of areas.
As @ohiowrangler mentioned, if a water tank is part of the plan, pay attention to where you put that, and as I planned mine, I wanted to keep the Center of Gravity (C0G) as low as possible.

And I'd plan for some type of articulating hitch rather than just a ball-mount. I've been very happy with the Max Coupler, it's easy to hook/unhook.

That's my $0.02, as people have said, it all depends on what you want out of it, truly drag it off road or only campgrounds, etc.

Good luck, I'll be watching the progress!

Dan.

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

Looks like a pretty solid platform with which to begin.
I would straighten out the crook in the tongue if you plan for a higher clearance build.

I like a torsion axle for clearance if you intend to drag it through those types of areas.
As @ohiowrangler mentioned, if a water tank is part of the plan, pay attention to where you put that, and as I planned mine, I wanted to keep the Center of Gravity (C0G) as low as possible.

And I'd plan for some type of articulating hitch rather than just a ball-mount. I've been very happy with the Max Coupler, it's easy to hook/unhook.

That's my $0.02, as people have said, it all depends on what you want out of it, truly drag it off road or only campgrounds, etc.

Good luck, I'll be watching the progress!

Dan.
Thank you I’ll keep that in mind.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
... Also what’s the rules for non trailer tires on a trailer because I want a set of general grabbers AT2s on the trailer is that legal?

I would say that is particular to your state, but I also imagine that it is a matter of preference and not mandated.

Check here or here, or maybe even AAA for your state, but I have never seen it get that specific.

Dan.

Reactions: Elan

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

View attachment 37746 Here’s a rough drawing of my idea. Also what’s the rules for non trailer tires on a trailer because I want a set of general grabbers AT2s on the trailer is that legal?
"Trailer tire" or non-trailer tires doesnt matter... its the load rating. If you have a 3500lb axle your tires must be rated for 1750lbs each MINIMUM, which most light truck tires will be. The problem generally comes when people try and use regular car tires.

Reactions: Elan