My DIY offroad utility (base camp) trailer

• HTML tutorial

tyndall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Drawer slides tacked, doors " framed", fenders done, roof rails tacked in, and 1 stabilizer made up to see where/how I want to mount them ( not where it is in the picture they will mount under the floor of the trailer and swing down).... small progress on a few of the things on the list lol.
I like your stabilisers,might have to steal that idea! Trailers coming along well,it looks good

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Looks kind tall to me. Are you planning on putting a tent on the rack? Depending on the weight down low, it may be a bit top heavy. Just an observation.

Looking good so far though!
It is a touch tall. My idea was to put a solar panel up there in the future and have it rest under anything mounted up top during travel. Top of rail to floor is 6'4" and fender edge to fender edge is 6'6". Most of the weight is in the base as the "platform" is 2x2x.125 square tube and the control arms are 2x2x.188 with 1/4" skid plates, but the top is all 1.25x1.25x.100 wall tube or 1x1x.100. Also the drawers hold a significant weight and that is where all of the heavier gear will go.
I'm hoping that since the bulk of the weight is low, the extra height shouldn't be too much of an issue... but it is in the back of my head lol.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It is a touch tall. My idea was to put a solar panel up there in the future and have it rest under anything mounted up top during travel. Top of rail to floor is 6'4" and fender edge to fender edge is 6'6". Most of the weight is in the base as the "platform" is 2x2x.125 square tube and the control arms are 2x2x.188 with 1/4" skid plates, but the top is all 1.25x1.25x.100 wall tube or 1x1x.100. Also the drawers hold a significant weight and that is where all of the heavier gear will go.
I'm hoping that since the bulk of the weight is low, the extra height shouldn't be too much of an issue... but it is in the back of my head lol.
Have you thought about building the rack to be height adjustable? If you use linear actuators, raising and lowering is as simple as hitting a button.

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Have you thought about building the rack to be height adjustable? If you use linear actuators, raising and lowering is as simple as hitting a button.
I hadn't really thought about it but I want to try and keep things as simple as possible. Most of the time there likely won't be anything up to since I don't have a roof top tent. likely just and awning and shower maybe a RTT in the future but I made the top half with enough room to stuff my gazelle tents in and that's what I have been using for the last few years. The rack may also hold some kayaks, but generally not a whole lot of weight.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I hadn't really thought about it but I want to try and keep things as simple as possible. Most of the time there likely won't be anything up to since I don't have a roof top tent. likely just and awning and shower maybe a RTT in the future but I made the top half with enough room to stuff my gazelle tents in and that's what I have been using for the last few years. The rack may also hold some kayaks, but generally not a whole lot of weight.
The it sounds like you're good to go. If you're not putting a tent up there, COG shouldn't be much of an issue.

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Was doing some work the other day and thought about how to carry extra fuel on the trailer. Normally I bring race style fuel cans when I take my TJ out for a weekend ( and most of the time I go through it all) and I wanted to get them out of the back of the jeep and I had considered making a hitch mount fuel holder for them but then I realized I have wide fenders lol. Coincidentally they fit perfectly between the fender and the front lower door.
I made up a quick base and I think a self retracting ratchet strap over the top should hold it down well enough. Or at least until I find a better way .

Attachments

Reactions: reaver

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Finally managed to get the drawers bolted down and tested for clearance while they are installed, and the floor down and fastened in place. Now the drawers are back out and being painted before reinstall, as well as the floor.
Next I need to start framing doors and getting the latches lined up so I can finally start getting everything sealed in.

Attachments

Reactions: PCO6

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Are your drawer slide mounted to the floor on lengths of angle iron? Can’t see in the pics
yes the slides are mounted through the floor and into the frame below. I used rivnuts to squeeze the floor and frame together and provide mounting points for the slides. There are 4 bolts per side ( 8 bolts per drawer) holding them down to the floor
1713865632582.png1713865714574.png

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

the rivnuts sit proud of the sheet below,so the angle sits on the rivnuts not the sheet-right? Does this work ok?
Yes they sit a bit proud. It works just fine and I have a sheet of rubber that I was going to lay down under everything to help keep vibrations down as well, but when I unrolled the sheet I realized that the smell may be an issue lol. I still have some light sound deadening material from my jeep that I may use instead but I am still up in the air about that.
My only concern with the rivnuts was that they wouldn't grab enough material on both pieces to hold. I did run a test piece and though it has a small amount holding its enough to hold it tight, and with 8 of them per drawer I am confident with how it will hold up. I was able to stand at the very end of my drawer and hop and it was sturdy.