US West My Annual Easter Mojave Road trip!!

• HTML tutorial

GRAK

Rank I

Contributor II

Out West
First Name
Zero
Last Name
Ultra
How about this weather this week, have you ever done the Devil's Highway? Could be something...
Yeah, I think Highway 666 is a little far for me, and neither of my 4Runner's would be a good option to drive all of those curves! Now, if I had a Supra or a Porsche 911......that could be a different story!! Lol!!
Ha - yeah I meant the AZ version, El Camino del Diablo - I haven’t done it in five years.. heard it’s way more popular now. Having great weather here in AZ currently!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Definitely on the list but also definitely something to do in a group.

I'll shoot you my info if starts looking like I can get things sorted in time. Would love to at least get tires and some protection lined up but house projects are cutting into the budget
No worries

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Definitely on the list but also definitely something to do in a group.

I'll shoot you my info if starts looking like I can get things sorted in time. Would love to at least get tires and some protection lined up but house projects are cutting into the budget

Discount Tires always has 0% interest!!

chetmak

Rank III

Advocate III

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chet
Last Name
Makowski
Member #

I think I’ll have to skip this one . Looks like I need to get some more gear. Maybe next time.
Thanks

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I think I’ll have to skip this one . Looks like I need to get some more gear. Maybe next time.
Thanks
What other gear do you need that you don't have already? I mean a fridge is preferred, but you can get by with a good ice chest with blocks and maybe a little dry ice on top. PETT portable toilet Is a must in the National Park, but they're not all that expensive and you can have them delivered in a couple of days from Amazon, etc.....A tent or way to sleep inside your truck is easy, and so on. Let me know what your concerns are. For a lot of stuff, I pretty much bring my house with me.......so I have most things!! BBQ, butane And electric stoves, Lava Box, etc.....I can keep going, but I don't have that much time!!

GRAK

Rank I

Contributor II

Out West
First Name
Zero
Last Name
Ultra
Yeah wrangler & ground tent, he’s nearly there. Needs to buy the toilet. Sleepin bag

I have a winch & recovery stuff that we won’t use
Have Maxtrax that prob won’t bring
I’ll bring a 5gal Jerry can just in case
Can bring a second one if he wants to borrow. Cima Rd should be open by then?
Could even buy a cheap foam cooler just for the trip

I’m jus wondering if it’ll be warm enough for half doors

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Yeah wrangler & ground tent, he’s nearly there. Needs to buy the toilet. Sleepin bag

I have a winch & recovery stuff that we won’t use
Have Maxtrax that prob won’t bring
I’ll bring a 5gal Jerry can just in case
Can bring a second one if he wants to borrow. Cima Rd should be open by then?
Could even buy a cheap foam cooler just for the trip

I’m jus wondering if it’ll be warm enough for half doors

Yeah, I have a winch on my034runner, but haven't got around to putting a bumper and winch on my134Runner yet. I'd say the only way we'd need a winch on this trip, is if we were dumb enough to try Soda Lake when it's wet!! Obviously, if it's still wet (Lots of Rain in Commiefornia right now!!) then we take the bypass to Razor Road (actually cuts over an hour off of the trip to Afton Canyon!)....other than that, we should be fine. I don't have any maxtrax or treds, but if someone wants to bring them, I'm sure they Might come in handy. I've got an entire box full of recovery gear otherwise.......so no one needs to really bring anything else. I'll also have 20 gallons of gas 30-40 gallons of water stashed everywhere...........Cima Road Should be open by then, although, I have been on short parts of it to get to the cabins. I'll also have my Mr. Buddy heater....just in case! And yeah, you may want your full doors!!!! Lol!
Anyway, hopefully Chet can make it. So Grak (first name?) are you in for sure? If so, go ahead and copy and paste the List and add yourself and please send me your cell#< name, and emergency contact.

P.S. If you do come out, go ahead and bring your maxtrax.......as there May be a possible use for them on Friday when we go up and over the Paiute Pass, as with all of this rain, in case it made the wash out any worse.......they Could come in handy to get past it, as we can lay them over the washout and ride high on the right side. It still shows closed on the NPS site, but it has said that since last year and all of the rain. We took the bypass last year, and I'm not a fan, as it takes you way in the wrong direction and eats up more time.
When we went in September, I decided to up the pass. Me and another truck went up first and left the others down below where if we need to turn them around, we could (no place to turn around up top) and one of the 4Runner's had a trailer......and I Really didn't want to worry about them trying to back down. Turns out, it was plenty passable......although the trailer had to be really careful as it was a few inches wider than the 4Runner, but we made it up, Good times!!

Last edited:
Reactions: GRAK

GRAK

Rank I

Contributor II

Out West
First Name
Zero
Last Name
Ultra
Ha, nice.. and copy that, I'll bring 'em.. I found an old pic of the crevasse but like you said, who knows what it looks like now, eh

Pvt message incomin

1: Robert and Cleo (dog) Traileader (4Runner)
2: Ryan (Tacoma)
3: Joe (Wrangler)
4:
5:
6:
7:
8: This is a just in case......

Reactions: my134Runner

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Looks like I have things sorted... will probably be dropping by an old friend's shop for tires on the way so this will be a fun break-in trip. Would be me +1 in the 4Runner.

Reactions: my134Runner

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Looks like I have things sorted... will probably be dropping by an old friend's shop for tires on the way so this will be a fun break-in trip. Would be me +1 in the 4Runner.
Right on! But that 4Runner in your pic looks alot like a jeep! LOL!! And also, Discount/America's Tire almost always has some type of %0.0 deal going on too! With a great warranty!!! Go ahead and copy and paste and add yourself to the List! And send me your name, cell # and emergency contact info!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Yeah, I have a winch on my034runner, but haven't got around to putting a bumper and winch on my134Runner yet. I'd say the only way we'd need a winch on this trip, is if we were dumb enough to try Soda Lake when it's wet!! Obviously, if it's still wet (Lots of Rain in Commiefornia right now!!) then we take the bypass to Razor Road (actually cuts over an hour off of the trip to Afton Canyon!)....other than that, we should be fine. I don't have any maxtrax or treds, but if someone wants to bring them, I'm sure they Might come in handy. I've got an entire box full of recovery gear otherwise.......so no one needs to really bring anything else. I'll also have 20 gallons of gas 30-40 gallons of water stashed everywhere...........Cima Road Should be open by then, although, I have been on short parts of it to get to the cabins. I'll also have my Mr. Buddy heater....just in case! And yeah, you may want your full doors!!!! Lol!
Anyway, hopefully Chet can make it. So Grak (first name?) are you in for sure? If so, go ahead and copy and paste the List and add yourself and please send me your cell#< name, and emergency contact.

P.S. If you do come out, go ahead and bring your maxtrax.......as there May be a possible use for them on Friday when we go up and over the Paiute Pass, as with all of this rain, in case it made the wash out any worse.......they Could come in handy to get past it, as we can lay them over the washout and ride high on the right side. It still shows closed on the NPS site, but it has said that since last year and all of the rain. We took the bypass last year, and I'm not a fan, as it takes you way in the wrong direction and eats up more time.
When we went in September, I decided to up the pass. Me and another truck went up first and left the others down below where if we need to turn them around, we could (no place to turn around up top) and one of the 4Runner's had a trailer......and I Really didn't want to worry about them trying to back down. Turns out, it was plenty passable......although the trailer had to be really careful as it was a few inches wider than the 4Runner, but we made it up, Good times!!
Right on Joe!!! I'll ping you back in a while.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Right on! But that 4Runner in your pic looks alot like a jeep! LOL!! And also, Discount/America's Tire almost always has some type of %0.0 deal going on too! With a great warranty!!! Go ahead and copy and paste and add yourself to the List! And send me your name, cell # and emergency contact info!
Yeah that was the rig until a few weeks ago haha. Need to get out and get some new shots that aren't Costco or my driveway.

4: Andrew +1 (4Runner)
5:
6:
7:

The Josh

Rank II

Traveler III

Mark West Springs, Sonoma County, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Engberg
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JAE
Hey Ya There Robert! We are planning on doing death valley with some friends this weekend but the weather report still looks cold, I'm on the fence and i know my wife is as well. I'm possibly thinking of maybe postponing the trip, maybe going with yall and then hit up death valley afterwards, just a internal thought

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Just so I can prioritize garage time ahead of the trip, are we sticking with 2m for comms or should I wire up my GMRS too?

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Hey Ya There Robert! We are planning on doing death valley with some friends this weekend but the weather report still looks cold, I'm on the fence and i know my wife is as well. I'm possibly thinking of maybe postponing the trip, maybe going with yall and then hit up death valley afterwards, just a internal thought
Hey Josh, you're more than welcome to come with us, just let me know and/or copy and paste the List and add yourselves when you're 100% committed to go! It's been way too long since you've been on this trip with us!!

The Josh

Rank II

Traveler III

Mark West Springs, Sonoma County, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Engberg
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JAE
count us in!

5: Joshua & Shelley (04' 4runner)
6:
7:

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

count us in!

5: Joshua & Shelley (04' 4runner)
6:
7:

Right on.....it's The Josh and Shelly show once again!! About time my friends!!! It'll be good hanging out once again like old times!!! :sunglasses: Wonder if we could get Sid Vicious back out again?! On Every trip, I mutter out his famous words from our first trip I think........."Whats the sticks sticking up out of the ground in a circle?"!!!!!!! Lol!!! :laughing: I use it every trip!!! LOL!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

And if anyone wants to or can bring an extra Big white propane tank, please do as I have banned all firewood from my trips after the last two huge devastating fires out in the Mojave National Preserve!!! I Had been bringing a rather large propane fire pit, but got an upgrade for Christmas with my new Lava Box!! So, we'll still be able to have a pretty huge campfire........but I no longer have to worry about starting a fire and burning down what's left of the park!!!! But I'll be out there for 4 more days After y'all leave on Easter Sunday, so if someone can bring another tank, I'll have plenty to get me through the week!!