US West My Annual Easter Mojave Road trip!!

• HTML tutorial

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

This is my either 19th or 20th Annual Easter Mojave Road trip!!!! I personally have been going out to the Mojave Preserve Every Easter since it became a National Park (1994).........and been doing organized trips for the last 19-20 years! Also, I do another one every September (3rd weekend) for just as long. People always ask why do I Always go there, why not somewhere else, why not take a vacation to Europe, Hawaii, etc...... I just tell them that this is my favorite place to go!!! And yes, I go out a minimum of twice a year and now make it my vacation......so while everyone that goes will enjoy three (3) days of this beautiful place.......when y'all go home on Easter afternoon/evening........Cleo (dog) and I go Back out into the park for another 3-4 days and just relax and enjoy it!!!!

Every trip is different, every trip has it's own challenges, the recent fires being a huge challenge......it's still a special place to go!! And while I may not be the fastest person across the Mojave Road, I try and make sure that everyone has a good time, and try to leave it better than we found it and that everyone makes it to the end safe and makes it home in one piece!! But fyi......if you're in a hurry, this may not be the trip for you!! We get to where we need to be, and everyone gets to see some amazing things........but I am Not on the clock.......so if you have a hot date and you're worried about getting there, then stay home. :laughing:

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

We'll meet up at the Smiths Food King on Aztec Dr and Highway 95 in Fort Mohave, AZ......Cheap gas (price) and grab any last minute items. 4747 AZ-95 Fort Mohave, AZ 86426

Last edited:

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

It looks like I may already have a couple of non members who want to commit to this trip. As soon as I get their Firm commitments, I'll post them up here.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Also, anyone coming from the Las Vegas/Henderson area, we will meet up here at Findlay Toyota before heading down to Fort Mohave to meet out of towners.

Reactions: Chorevegas73

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

It’s been awhile since I’ve been that way, do you think my Ran 1500 will make it?
Yeah, you'd be fine.......I took a couple full size trucks out about two years ago, one was a Dodge, with the solid front axle. and the other was a Chevy. The Dodge hated life until he Finally aired down his tires!! That truck apparently rode like a rock!! LOL! Once he aired down like the rest of us, he was all good. Also have had f-250's, Tundra's, etc......Just know that on some sections, you Will get some custom desert pinstriping!!!

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
It’s been awhile since I’ve been that way, do you think my Ran 1500 will make it?
Yeah, you'd be fine.......I took a couple full size trucks out about two years ago, one was a Dodge, with the solid front axle. and the other was a Chevy. The Dodge hated life until he Finally aired down his tires!! That truck apparently rode like a rock!! LOL! Once he aired down like the rest of us, he was all good. Also have had f-250's, Tundra's, etc......Just know that on some sections, you Will get some custom desert pinstriping!!!
Not afraid of pinstripes? It’ll go with my hail damage!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I may as well get The List of attendees going!!!! Everyone who's committed, and adding themselves, just copy and paste the list and add yourselves.

1: Robert and Cleo (dog) Traileader (4Runner)
2: Ryan (Tacoma)
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8: This is a just in case......

Reactions: BeardedOverland

chetmak

Rank III

Advocate III

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chet
Last Name
Makowski
Member #

Trying to figure out my schedule to see if I can make it. I live in Pahrump and would meet you at the dealership for the ride down. But assuming so, could I have a few more details?
I’d be taking a 2 dr Wrangler (with plenty of pinstripes) and a ground tent. Not very experienced in this so it would be helpful to know how much water/gas to bring and anything else you think would be important.
Thanks

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Trying to figure out my schedule to see if I can make it. I live in Pahrump and would meet you at the dealership for the ride down. But assuming so, could I have a few more details?
I’d be taking a 2 dr Wrangler (with plenty of pinstripes) and a ground tent. Not very experienced in this so it would be helpful to know how much water/gas to bring and anything else you think would be important.
Thanks
Hey Chet, so yeah........this will be a three day trip for most everyone (I'm staying out for a week, going back into the park after our event is over)..... So the art of traveling in the desert.....is to be as prepared as you can be. I bring 20 gallons of extra gas for me, but most can get by with 10 gallons. Water, again......it's a desert, so pack as much water as you can, I normally have upwards of 30+ gallons spread out in my134Runner, between all of my Scepter cans, and small bottles as well as several gallon jugs stuffed everywhere......and another 3 gallons on the roof rack.
If you don't have a fridge, I will always advise to get one!! Literally The Best thing you'll ever buy for your truck/jeep. You can get some inexpensive ones on amazon, or spend a little more and get one that runs for decades as my Engel MT-60 does!! In lieu of a fridge, an ice chest packed with blocks on the bottom and maybe some dry ice Should keep your food fresh for a couple of days. My fridge will be full with enough fresh food for weeks!! Another thing about a fridge, is that you can actually pack double the amount of food and drinks than you can in any Ice chest, as there's no melting ice to take up space!! Lol!!
A way to cook your food comes in handy as well.........I bring my bbq and a butane stove backed up with an electric stove top ( I have four EcoFlow Solar batteries to run whatever). Obviously, headlights/flashlights, etc.......

We generally have communal meals for dinner and also breakfasts, where everyone brings and makes something that everyone can try, and believe me........No one goes hungry!!!! Other camping stuff like chairs, a decent table, and you Must have a portable toilet system......(see the link for the best system made!) as we are required to pack our shlt out of the National Park!!! Leave no trace!!!
I don't burn wood for campfires anymore after the two major fires that we've had out there, I've been bringing a propane fire pit, but got a new toy for Christmas.......a Lava Box propane fire pit that takes up a fraction of the space, and puts out three times the btu's and heat of my much bigger fire pit! So, there's one thing you don't need!! You need to have at least one good working full size spare tire, tools, etc...... Recovery gear is also something to bring out on any trail.......I'll have a whole box full.......so you're good there. But, I don't yet have a winch on this 4Runner like I do on my 034Runner.....

Anyway, there's a few things to get you started, I Have to get back to work now!!! let me know whatever questions you have. Especially if you like long winded answers!! LOL!!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I signed up to go on this. Don't have sliders or a Ham radio. Hope that's ok.
Hey Tim, right on, glad to have you join! It's a great trip, always fun and adventurous!! We're not going to be really doing any rock crawling, so you should be fine there. A far as radios, I always have 3-4 handheld units. But things that are important, is a potable toilet system, as per NPS, we're required to pack our shlt out. If you don't have a set up yet, this is the best, PETT toilet system...........and will last forever......mine has to be at least 20+ years old and still can support my fat ass!!! Lol!! Follow along, and please copy and paste your info on "The List" and send me your cell # and emergency contact info. Thanks.... Robert
P.S. I see you're coming from Lake Havasu, cool.......we had a couple from there come out for my last trip in September, nice couple. It won't take you too long to get to Ft Mohave from there for sure!

AFMsgt

Rank I

Contributor II

Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Auen
I signed up to go on this. Don't have sliders or a Ham radio. Hope that's ok.
Hey Tim, right on, glad to have you join! It's a great trip, always fun and adventurous!! We're not going to be really doing any rock crawling, so you should be fine there. A far as radios, I always have 3-4 handheld units. But things that are important, is a potable toilet system, as per NPS, we're required to pack our shlt out. If you don't have a set up yet, this is the best, PETT toilet system...........and will last forever......mine has to be at least 20+ years old and still can support my fat ass!!! Lol!! Follow along, and please copy and paste your info on "The List" and send me your cell # and emergency contact info. Thanks.... Robert
P.S. I see you're coming from Lake Havasu, cool.......we had a couple from there come out for my last trip in September, nice couple. It won't take you too long to get to Ft Mohave from there for sure!
Phone number and emergency contact sent.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Might see if I can make this one... definitely need to sort out a set of tires on the new rig first though.

How is the crossing these days? Still filled in?

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Might see if I can make this one... definitely need to sort out a set of tires on the new rig first though.

Right on, let me know as soon as you know! And, do you have a name? And yes, it's still a bit filled in. Might be a little bit of it washed away after all of this rain though!! Lol!

GRAK

Rank I

Contributor II

Out West
First Name
Zero
Last Name
Ultra
Likewise I'd like to do this, hopefully I can make it. I'm in AZ so starting in Ft Mohave is nice.

GRAK

Rank I

Contributor II

Out West
First Name
Zero
Last Name
Ultra

How about this weather this week, have you ever done the Devil's Highway? Could be something...

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

How about this weather this week, have you ever done the Devil's Highway? Could be something...
Yeah, I think Highway 666 is a little far for me, and neither of my 4Runner's would be a good option to drive all of those curves! Now, if I had a Supra or a Porsche 911......that could be a different story!! Lol!!

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Definitely on the list but also definitely something to do in a group.

Right on, let me know as soon as you know! And, do you have a name? And yes, it's still a bit filled in. Might be a little bit of it washed away after all of this rain though!! Lol!
I'll shoot you my info if starts looking like I can get things sorted in time. Would love to at least get tires and some protection lined up but house projects are cutting into the budget