Mounting an RTT to Tacoma Double Cab

• HTML tutorial

Tacofusion

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Warrenton, Va
Member #

So as an update to the voodoo rack, my email was ignored. But the tagged post on one of the forums yielded a reply that in essence was that my rack is performing as designed, and isn't part of a larger batch of poor powder coating.

So, my recommendation, if you get the voodoo rack, and the time before install to clear coat it a few times.

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

So getting back to topic... anyone have any more pictures/knowledge to contribute regarding the over-cab mount?

justintheegreat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California
Member #

I plan to tonight, just haven't had a chance to get a couple good pictures of the oxidation since getting back. Keep in mind the 18in rack is slightly lower than the roof line with the bed cover brackets, on my 3rd Gen Taco, not sure how that compares to your 2nd, but clearance may be an issue for mountain bikes depending how they mount up.
They said the 10" is lower then the roof. The 18 with a tent will be above the roofline

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

road trip 2018 019.JPG I've had the 10" Max Modular for about a month now and can't say enough good things about it. Spent 10 days in SD and WY with my RTT mounted and also a 6' PVC solar shower (not filled when on the road) then a couple more weekends car camping in MI. Easy install and versatile, definitely ordering the bike mounts for the side of the cage.

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

So getting back to topic... anyone have any more pictures/knowledge to contribute regarding the over-cab mount?
Verdict for me was that it's not a problem after talking to several folks in the rack business. I went with the cage to keep it on the back of the truck for a long trip but am going to mount it over the cab for a weekender closer to home

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

Verdict for me was that it's not a problem after talking to several folks in the rack business. I went with the cage to keep it on the back of the truck for a long trip but am going to mount it over the cab for a weekender closer to home
@Scontroneboy thanks for the clarification. This thread became a bed rack discussion quickly lol.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

View attachment 58163 I have a 2017 Tacoma dual cab with KB Voodoo Max Modular 10" bed rack, great system, strong, and looks pretty trick. you will not be disappointed.
Hey hey! I bought the KB last summer and had my Smittybilt mounted and it was perfect. I sold the Smitty and bought a Yakima at the REI garage sale. Question I have is how you mounted the Yakima to the KB? Did you swap out the mounting claws for more traditional RTT tracks? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Zeroviz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wayne, NJ
First Name
John
Last Name
St. Denis
Member #

Yes..I had to drill new holes through the floor and I mounted the tent using stake bed rack mounts which fits the crossbar on the KB RACK...I purchased at them at farm supply store.

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

Thanks! I mounted the Thule foot pack and load bars from my topper for a quick fix but definitely looking for the long term solution. Thanks, Franco