Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything specific to my question so forgive me if this has been asked/answered.

I have a 2013 Tacoma Double Cab and have heard through both Thule and Yakima that the only way they suggest mounting an RTT over the cab is on the factory roof rack or with direct mounts on the factory roof rack. Specifically they told me not to mount the tent to a rack that is mounted in the door jam(s). I've had it mounted on my cap over the bed but looking to swap it forward. Anyone else hear the same? Disregard the suggestion and have any luck? My profile pic shows the rack over the cab if there are any experts out there.

I have a Thule rack, Smittybilt Overlander 2 man RTT, weighs roughly 110lbs. I'm 150lbs and my son is roughly 80lbs if that helps. Also should mention that I bought the truck used and it has an aftermarket sunroof.

Thanks in advance!

Franco

Reactions: Russell Peters

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

Definitely check out Prinsu Racks - http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/

They can mount directly to the factory roof rack mounts under the weather stripping that runs along the top of the Taco. I've seen a lot of guys running Prinsu + Thule for a RTT, but I don't know exact details. TacomaWorld has a few threads about this as well.

I'd be interested to see what you find out!

Reactions: g&t_hersey

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mechanicsville Iowa
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke0uvb
Service Branch
USAF
I just mounted mine to an ARE topper. The seller stated this topper was rated for 250pounds static, not enough. I called the factory got the specs, they said static load was 8OO pounds. I bought it and put on a front runner rack because its is rated for more than the stock rack. They won't tell you it will hold just for liability.

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

Yeah there’s a lot of liability on the MFG when it comes to quoting weight limits. But I’ve seen guys do a cab mounted RTT on nothing but Thule... so... there’s options

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

Thanks for the info, I emailed Thule customer service a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a reply. I've had it mounted to the cap on a 3200 mile trip with a Thule rack, just not mounted over the cab with the door jam mounts. Since I've posted this thread I've found a few guys who've done it so going to throw caution to the wind and in the worst case just swap the bike and tent if needed. If I get any confirmation I'll definitely post.

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
Those manufacturers are just being cautious. However, there is a lot of drag while driving, and weight while bouncing, all being seated on those door jams. I think you'd be ok but I'd watch it closely.

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

Thanks for all the input, after much debate I decided to call it a day and purchase a KB Voodoo Max Modular 10" bed rack and will keep the topper for the Chicago winters and hockey season. The debate will have to continue as I had too many mixed opinions on mounting over the cab. I'm putting my cargo basket over the cab for some extra storage so problem solved...for now

Reactions: CAISOB Taco

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
Thanks for all the input, after much debate I decided to call it a day and purchase a KB Voodoo Max Modular 10" bed rack and will keep the topper for the Chicago winters and hockey season. The debate will have to continue as I had too many mixed opinions on mounting over the cab. I'm putting my cargo basket over the cab for some extra storage so problem solved...for now
I have a friend with a 3rd Gen tacoma and a Voodoo Rack. It's really nice, and really sturdy. You will be very happy with it.

Dave_brez

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Antioch, TN
Member #

I would get a bed rack if I didn't already have the bakflip g2 tonneau cover. the cover sits flush with the bed sides and doesn't allow enough room for the KBV relocation mounts.

Just need to find someone to trade me bad covers!

Zeroviz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wayne, NJ
First Name
John
Last Name
St. Denis
Member #

Hi
Dave_brez
I also looked into a few other covers but i got this one with the truck at purchase.....i had to pay extra for those mounts, i wanted to try to keep some sort of security for the items that i keep under the cover, problem is i now need to buy or make a bed slide. its a pain if you need to get some out that stored in the back....The mounts clear the cover by 2" but you can not open the trip fold at all.

Zeroviz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wayne, NJ
First Name
John
Last Name
St. Denis
Member #

Roof rack is next.....Looking at
Rhino-Rack BackBone 60 x 49 Pioneer Platform or
Rhino-Rack RLT600 Trackmount 60 x 49 Pioneer Platform this setup allows me to remove platform and legs when not in use...
both cost about $1000.00

Tacofusion

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Warrenton, Va
Member #

Hey guys, for what it's worth I just got a KB Voodoo rack, 18 in sb nonpremium, it would probably hold an RTT but you'd really want the premium version to be safe it's got a little bit stouter steel in it's construction. However, it's finish is utter trash after a month there was rustler evidence anywhere metal on metal. After a week on the Outter Banks if got rust everywhere, so needless to say I'll be sanding and refinishing a new product because of a lackluster powder coating.

justintheegreat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California
Member #

Hey guys, for what it's worth I just got a KB Voodoo rack, 18 in sb nonpremium, it would probably hold an RTT but you'd really want the premium version to be safe it's got a little bit stouter steel in it's construction. However, it's finish is utter trash after a month there was rustler evidence anywhere metal on metal. After a week on the Outter Banks if got rust everywhere, so needless to say I'll be sanding and refinishing a new product because of a lackluster powder coating.
I would contact them. I've read about this all over forums and their customer service SEEMS to be good. So maybe they can help you out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

justintheegreat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California
Member #

I will be purchasing the 18" voodoo rack as well for my short bed 06 double cab tacoma. I will be running a Tepui Ayers.

I want to go with the tall rack so I can still fit bigger thing under the rack. Like a mountain bike. Small pit bikes. And whatever else.

Tacofusion

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Warrenton, Va
Member #

I will be purchasing the 18" voodoo rack as well for my short bed 06 double cab tacoma. I will be running a Tepui Ayers.

I want to go with the tall rack so I can still fit bigger thing under the rack. Like a mountain bike. Small pit bikes. And whatever else.

I plan to tonight, just haven't had a chance to get a couple good pictures of the oxidation since getting back. Keep in mind the 18in rack is slightly lower than the roof line with the bed cover brackets, on my 3rd Gen Taco, not sure how that compares to your 2nd, but clearance may be an issue for mountain bikes depending how they mount up.