Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Miller
Member #

First off, its SUV or Pick-up, Small or full-size. Like many older farts here, I’ve had the full spectrum. Now, I’m down to two pickup trucks, a small one and a big one.

As a current 2016 Tacoma owner, and many months into my 2021 power wagon, I can say its all about what you want…. Yes do I wish the Taco was 4Runner, quite often, but then I give up the functional use of having a small pickup to run to Home Depot, or the dump. It’s not as maneuverable as my previous Rubicon in the dirt, but a better ride on the road, and you can carry more crap onboard. Lots of folks are buying the tacomas and building some sort of urban assault/rescue/survival/tactical vehicle out of them (I live in the SoCal Mtns so I see them every weekend) and if that’s your interest, its a great platform to customize your own project vehicle. I’ve driven the Tacoma all over the west and Canada, and its not a bad ride, you will see tons of complaints about how low the seats sit. Now the Power Wagon…. Well if you took 1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, put modern electronics on it and slapped it on a 4x4 drivetrain, well that’s how i view it…..very big, but boy is it comfortable road trips/to-from, worried about MPG/fuel costs? Not the vehicle for you.

There’s a bunch of stuff out there, and the gentleman mentions the Lexus. Early this spring I had five Lexus SUV’s pass me on the Mojave Road, never expected to see a luxury vehicle out in the middle of the dirt, had to be a smooth ride for sure.

My nephew has one of them fancy ford raptor things, and he’s a desert rat. Riding in that thing, it handles desert roads like a champ.

The other consideration considering your back injury is getting in and out of the vehicle. Lifted anything might not be good for you.

John

Reactions: Uberland

NomadRad

Rank II
Investor

Contributor III

Mandeville, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States
First Name
Louis
Last Name
Schruff
Member #

I will be the outlier here but take a look at a Land Rover LR3/LR4, the air suspension will help as will the ability to lower the truck to get in and out. Harder to maintain to a certain extend, not really much worse than any other modern vehicle, but meets your requirements.

They will go damm near anywhere and have lots of internal space.

But as with any unused vehicle get a through mechanical done by a shop who knows the truck
We have a 2016 LR4 Luxe that has been great and very comfortable and capable on/off road. Time for another vehicle, but we are having a difficult time not feeling like we will be missing our LR4. Ours has been reliable. Then consider its inside roominess, including for sleeping, ride quality, and ease of ingress and egress, it might be a good choice.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

We have a 2016 LR4 Luxe that has been great and very comfortable and capable on/off road. Time for another vehicle, but we are having a difficult time not feeling like we will be missing our LR4. Ours has been reliable. Then consider its inside roominess, including for sleeping, ride quality, and ease of ingress and egress, it might be a good choice.
Funny, I came here to recommend the LR3 / LR4. My LR3 was the smoothest ride I've ever felt. Then I realized the thread is 3 yrs old.