South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I think I heard a Bentley is the best ride. I've only ever seen pictures of them. My personal experience is: My old '90 Chevy truck, that's been rebuilt several times, and has custom seats, is a pretty smooth ride. My '17 Tacoma is not a comfortable ride. But, it will get me a lot of places no one else much goes. Getting in and out of an elevated truck has exercised some muscles and took some getting used to. My aching back actually seems better. Now it's an issue with some muscles/connective tissue in my hip/leg. Tacoma after market needs some better seating upgrades. Anyone over 6" tall may not fit.

I would recommend just spending a day or two and trying different setups. I would like to try a nice van for a while. I would need to sell something to buy one.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
F150 Raptor is an easy pick.

Big tires, little wheels. Low air pressure. 38x13.5r17 for example. And most vehicles have springs and sway bars that are too stiff, and shocks far too soft.

Also consider a Carli 4" full suspension on an F250. With custom rear springs set to wimpy half ton specs.

Last edited:

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I’ve got the European equivalent of a Lexus GX470 (LC KDJ150 from 2012. With the KDSS, active suspension, and air bags she’s a very comfortable ride. Look at that maybe?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My girlfriend has a 2013 GMC Sierra Denali AWD. That's one of the most comfortable rides I've been in. Goes over potholes like nothing, where my truck lurches and lists.

An 09 Toyota Rav 4 or older Honda CRV might do you well, too.

Reactions: NotGumby

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I think I heard a Bentley is the beat ride. I've only ever seen pictures of them. My personal experience is: My old '90 Chevy truck, that's been rebuilt several times, and has custom seats, is a pretty smooth ride. My '17 Tacoma is not a comfortable ride. But, it will get me a lot of places no one else much goes. Getting in and out of an elevated truck has exercised some muscles and took some getting used to. My aching back actually seems better. Now it's an issue with some muscles/connective tissue in my hip/leg. Tacoma after market needs some better seating upgrades. Anyone over 6" tall may not fit.

I would recommend just spending a day or two and trying different setups. I would like to try a nice van for a while. I would need to sell something to buy one.
A couple of ladies did the Rebelle Rally in a Rolls Royce a year or two ago.

D9CA6BE3-D212-43CF-848A-B5D861192286.jpeg

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I’ve driven and rode in a lot of vehicles, (I work in the automotive industry), and the best riding vehicle capable of hitting some dirt that I’ve come across is a 5th generation (current)Toyota 4Runner. Very smooth ride on pavement and on dirt. You also get plenty of room, tons of aftermarket support, and Toyota reliability. There is a reason you see so many of them driving around!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Best riding vehicle off the beaten path I’ve ever owned was a 98 grand Cherokee with a rubicon express super flex kit and a set of 33x10.50 BFF AT . You wouldn’t even know the bumps where there

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've owned about a dozen off road rigs over the past 50 years, stock or modded they tend to be great on road or great off road but not both. Then I bought a ZR2 with DSSV spool valve shocks, amazing ride both on and off road.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I will be the outlier here but take a look at a Land Rover LR3/LR4, the air suspension will help as will the ability to lower the truck to get in and out. Harder to maintain to a certain extend, not really much worse than any other modern vehicle, but meets your requirements.

They will go damm near anywhere and have lots of internal space.

But as with any unused vehicle get a through mechanical done by a shop who knows the truck

Reactions: Tom Cryer

Tom Cryer

Rank II

Contributor III

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cryer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KEOJQH
I will be the outlier here but take a look at a Land Rover LR3/LR4, the air suspension will help as will the ability to lower the truck to get in and out. Harder to maintain to a certain extend, not really much worse than any other modern vehicle, but meets your requirements.

They will go damm near anywhere and have lots of internal space.

But as with any unused vehicle get a through mechanical done by a shop who knows the truck
Any idea on the numbers for OB members and Land Rover ownership?

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
The best riding vehicle I've ever driven off-road is my XJ Cherokee. 2" shackle/spacer lift on stock springs, Fox 2.0 Shocks, 32/10.5-15 tires on stock wheels. On-road or off it absorbs bumps and whoops like nothing else. Drop the air pressure in the tires to 18 psi and even the tiny bumps disappear.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
As a fellow Vet with 4 herniated lumbar discs I hear you on the back issues. What I have found to help the most is a good seat with adjustable lumbar support, seat warmers, and tire pressure. IFS can definitely help but it depends on the vehicle. For example. My TJ Unlimited was actually more comfortable on short trips then my wife's (now gone) 07 Grand Cherokee. I much prefer her GX470 seats over my 4th Gen 4Runner. Both are decent (14+ hour trips in the 4runner) but the GX470 has heated seats which are a great help when the back gets tight.

One Note about the GX470/460/LX470 they have adjustable suspension and ride height which can be nice. Also the swing out tailgate is helpful. I have had a few issues trying to reach the tailgate on the 4runner when the back was angry.

Good Luck.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

If you don't have a Bentley, Rolls Royce, or Land Rover budget, the Ram trucks have coil springs in the rear and ride better than most pickups.

Granted, they'll squat a bit with a thousand pounds in the back...

Reactions: Desert Runner

Neon Paradise

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Suffolk, Virginia, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
xxxxxx
Member #

Definitely a Lexus GX. I had a GX470 with the adjustable shocks, and I always had the dial to full comfort setting. Honestly the best riding vehicle I've experienced. Much better than my Jaguar XJ.

Just depends on your budget. The GX460 has the adjustable ride settings, but only on the high trim levels.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Tom Cryer I do not know, but at least 1 LR 4 :grinning: , a fellow club member is a member here. We get 3 to 5 Lr3/Lr4's out with our group they seem to do well ride nicer than my old disco

Reactions: Tom Cryer

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I am kind of shocked at how many folks say the GX470 is smooth and comfortable. Wife and I test drove a couple and while they rode nicer than the equivalent 4 Runner we felt they were still more harsh than my older 100 series Land Cruiser. We ultimately settled on a 200 series Land Cruiser and it is really a comfortable ride and more plush than my 100 series. My brother in law has a LX 470 (Lexus version of my 100 land cruiser) and it rides like the 200 series. I bet the LX570 (Lexus equivalent to our 200) is even more comfortable.