Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
So who does Morse code? I'm going to start learning and putting together a kit I can operate at camp. My father in law told me about Summits On The Air and I think this is a perfect radio sport to combine with overlanding and mountain biking, and I think low power Morse code will be a great method to use. Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else is doing anything similar and if we could talk mobile HF antennas. For now I'm piecing together a 40meter rig.

Reactions: M Rose and Road

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Have you gotten into CW yet? I’m thinking about building my own keyer.

dzahler

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Brunswick, NJ
First Name
David
Last Name
Zahler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
w2dz
So who does Morse code? I'm going to start learning and putting together a kit I can operate at camp. My father in law told me about Summits On The Air and I think this is a perfect radio sport to combine with overlanding and mountain biking, and I think low power Morse code will be a great method to use. Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else is doing anything similar and if we could talk mobile HF antennas. For now I'm piecing together a 40meter rig.
Learn Morse Code (CW) if you want to do any kind of DXing (and SOTA), particularly at low power. If you are looking to learn the art, you should check out cwops.org. I've been licensed for more years than I'd care to admit but but was never interested in CW, then about 7 years ago the HF DXing bug bit me which really requires CW if you are to succeed. CWOps runs an online academy that will get you up and running with CW over about a 6 week period with group sessions with about 6 other hams in the class.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Not yet. With all the other stuff going on right now I haven't had the free funds to get the equipment together.
I’ve been looking into building my own keyer. For the Icom IC-7100, it just uses a standard 2.5mm headphone jack. So shouldn’t be too hard to make the device...

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I’ve been looking into building my own keyer. For the Icom IC-7100, it just uses a standard 2.5mm headphone jack. So shouldn’t be too hard to make the device...
I have been digging around my shop and finding things that I could turn into a key, like a set of points for my old F250...
It will happen, I just need to get my medical stuff sorted out, I want to make sure I have the funds to start paying bills before buying fun stuff. Damn my responsibility, lol.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have been digging around my shop and finding things that I could turn into a key, like a set of points for my old F250...
It will happen, I just need to get my medical stuff sorted out, I want to make sure I have the funds to start paying bills before buying fun stuff. Damn my responsibility, lol.
I hear ya...this hobby sure eats up cash quickly....

So a set of points, some speaker wire, a ferrite bead from an old pc cord, a broken set of head phones and a speaker wire and you should be set... mount to a block of wood that you prettied up in your shop.... hmmm got me thinking... why not do this myself.

Here is a cheap DIY Keyer project

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke