Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Hi all, girlfriend and I have carved out 3 weeks in Feb and we're going camping on the beach!
About us, 57 yrs old, 2 dogs[coming along], Gen 5 4runner w KO2's, small trailer w rtt,the usual recovery stuff [traction boards, strap, etc., I have a Warn winch but I'm not sure if I will get my bumper in time so may not be installed for trip, air comp.
GF has a health condition , so we may not be able to do as many miles a day as some, but we're going to what we can.
I'm looking for advice on a couple things:
Is crossing in Mexicali the best choice?
I'm planning to carry 2 water cans and 1 fuel can, sound about right?
I have driven in mainland MX a few times and did a solo Moto trip to Puerto Vallarta so I am pretty comfortable with fuel, etc., but this is first time in Baja and will be more remote so any advice is welcomed.
I'm doing all the checks and maintenance now before it's really cold here.
Thanks

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Mexicali east is the better place to cross. Most towns of any size have gas stations. National Geographic, and Benchmark have paper maps of Baja. Gaia GPS has an electronic version of the National Geographic map available for premium members. Hope you have a good time.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Thanks Luinil, I have an atlas from Benchmark. My truck has roughly a 300 mile range, so I think it's enough , but I will carry 1 can of fuel .

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You should stay in Guerrero Negro and see Grey whales. use Whale Magic tours, they have english speaking guide and have a great reputation. Owner is Shari Bondy she know whales and been studying them for 30+ years. I would go down on Hwy 1 and back Hwy5 . I find 5 very boring but fast. Hwy1 is a much prettier drive. Catavina is a gem and should be experienced 5 skips it. the cactus Forest are also a must see. You are fine for water and fuel. There are many places to refill the water via RO systems. If you need Ice many stores have cubes if you want Big block check the Ice house's in major towns or the fish co op's.

Last edited:

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
You should stay in Guerrero Negro and see Grey whales. use Whale Magic tours, they have english speaking guide and have a great reputation. Owner is Shari Bondy she know whales and been studying them for 30+ years. I would go down on Hwy 1 and back Hwy5 . I find % very boring but fast. Hwy1 is a much prettier drive. Catavina is a gem and should be experienced 5 skips it. the cats Forest are also a must see. You are fine for water and fuel. There are many places to refill the water via RO systems. If you need Ice many stores have cubes if you want Big block check the Ice house's in major towns or the fish co op's.
Thanks,great suggestions!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

How far south do you plan to go? What interest do you have? How remote do you want to go? Do you want to hang on the beach with other's or solo? If let us know what you are looking for we can give you better answers.The standard trip that many are doing is down Hwy5 to Hwy1, to Guerrero Negro. spend the night south to Concepcion or to the La Paz/ Todos Santos Cabo triangle. Head home via the same route. There are plenty of pristine spots that many drive by. I love exploring and checking out new places, I have enjoying Baja for 60 years as a kid and now as FOP.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
We’re going to sort of play it by ear, not sure if we care much about going all the way south.
My girlfriend Kelly has some health issues, so we may camp a couple days at a spot.
, then move.
We’re bringing SUP’s and 2 dogs, and hope to see some cool sights and relax on the beach.
Maybe see the whales, not sure if we can go on a boat tour, need to leave the dogs somewhere.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Pacific side La Lobera is a cool place to see San Quintín was some great restaurants on the outside of the bay (La Chorera) some offer camping, there is an Oyster farm that has camping, it's next to the farm with the multi colored stacked as you turn north as you drive in to La Chorera.
South of San Quintín going op the hill to El Rosario a couple miles to a collapsed dome where the seals hang. a couple of hours total. no camping just cool.
If you camp at the Whale camp south Of Guerrero Negro you can leave the dogs tied up at your camp and catch a whale trip, they book trips right there.
Check out Asuncion, the is a camp on the right with wifi and showers, Bahia San Roque is just north and a great hang. You'll mostly be by yourself.
Campo Rene south of Punta Abreojos is on a lagoon is you can camp there the night watchman.
You can camp at Laguna San Ignacio at Kuyma's camp, you check in at the office in the town square. they have a web site. They also do whale trips. I don't know what they think of dogs
San Ignacio is a really cool town the mission is a big draw, there are campgrounds. The yurts are the nicest place in town and the owners are very cool.

Sea of Cortez/Gulf of Calif.
There are Camp Grounds around San Luis Gonzaga / Punta Final worth staying at many palapas for rent.
Bahai de Los Angeles is a great fishing town. there are a couple of camps. you can catch a boat out to the islands or fish from.
Las Animas is south of BdLA Is one of my favorite places to camp. There is a guy that lives there full time, it is becoming a poplar spot to camp.
San Francisquito is a remote bay and beach, I started as a fly in spot very remote with pretty beaches.It has seen better days but the beaches are worth being on.
Mulege south to Bahia Concepcion is very poplar and will have lots of snow birds. Cool beaches
Loreto is big tourist area lots of hotels and camp grounds.I like Romanita as a camp ground.
MissionSan Javier is the second oldest mission 300+ years old, it is very well preserved and worth a day trip.
Aqua Verde is great beach village I love to kayak this area.
The stretch San Evaristoto La Paz has great beaches as does the peninsula north of La Paz.
Cabo Pulmo is a must if you snorkel or dive. the only coral reefs in the north east pacific.

Reactions: Dcwn.45