Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Member #

Hey Missourians!
Just dropping in to say hi. I'm out of the Arnold area, just outside of St Louis. Originally from Kansas City, MO. Still have family there.
I'm still waiting for my member number. Guess that comes in the mail with the patch etc. I don't have a fancy setup yet, but plan on building it up as I go. Looking forward to meeting up and experiencing overlanding with you all!

{Nate10920}

Rank III

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Member #

Are you in the full sized or mid sized family? And welcome to the club.
I'm running a full size Chevy with a crew cab. Would have loved to have a midsize for this type of adventuring. Between being a bigger guy and needing it for road trips with our teenagers, this seemed more comfortable. I'm hoping it won't keep us from too many remote places though.

Reactions: Broke

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

I am in same boat as you, rocking a Ford Excursion. The West and South West areas size from my experience is really not a limiting factor. Here in the Midwest it is certainly something you will need to be cognizant of, otherwise you might get good at back up or expect some battle wounds,

{Nate10920}

Rank III

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Member #

Nice! I know its coming, but I might shed a tear the first time branches scrape down the side of my truck. Haha We'll have to get a group together for some overlanding!

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

@UploadAdventure and I have loosely been talking about a “Rigs and Coffee” at Axleboy Offroad but don't have any solid dates yet. I think there are a few days left to buy tickets for the Fall Extravaganza starting Nov 6th. I will be in attendance, its at SMORR in Seymour, MO.

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

They have a trail system will all levels off-roading, I think the ratings are 1-5 if I recall. However I have never been, but even if you choose not to run any trails there will be plenty to do. I plan to run some of the easy trails, just to get a idea of what the Ex is capable of doing and were it will fit. Lol

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

Figured I would get back to you on the SMORR trip, your factory truck would have been fine. Their were only 2 other full sized rigs out their that I seen on trails so we synced up and ran some of the 1,2 and 3 trails. Lots of good people willing to help.

{Nate10920}

Rank III

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Member #

I was just thinking about a suspension lift and tires. Hoping I can afford it all this next month. I probably need to invest in a skid guard while I'm at it.

Glad you had a good time! I'll have to keep an eye on their website. It looked like they hosted quite a few public events.

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

They do, you would be fine with tires and a lift. SMORR is a off-road park so they do have some pretty extreme areas. But for us overlanders the 1 and 2 trails are good. Good luck on your lift and tires. Keep and eye out for Black Friday deals. haha

MPLMNT

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Etobicoke, Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
Dragan
Last Name
Grubesic
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZI

UploadAdventure

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dixon, MO, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Monsalvo
Member #

Hey @ChopprJock ! STL here too. I definitely need some Blues hockey in my life. I say that every year and when the season comes around again I get sidetracked and miss half the games.

Anyone around STL know of a reputable shop for lifts, wheels, tires, and camper shells?
Lift - Axleboy offroad
Wheels and tires, mostly online
Camper Shell - Mid American Camper Shell

{Nate10920}

Rank III

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Member #

Lift - Axleboy offroad
Wheels and tires, mostly online
Camper Shell - Mid American Camper Shell
Thanks for the response!

Axleboy Offroad appears to be Jeep only. I'm running a full size Chevy truck. I'm playing with the idea of installing the springs & shocks with a friend of mine. I'd guess that it would save me a nice chunk of change, and it doesn't appear horribly difficult. It would probably be nice getting to know my rig more too. I definitely need to talk to someone about which one to get though. I may need a pro to hold my hand and tell me which one would work best for my needs. haha

I will most likely contact Mid American Camper Shell to price one out. I've reached out to ARE for a quote as well.

I was hoping to find an off road shop that I could return to over time. I'm really afraid of screwing something up with what works best with what.

UploadAdventure

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dixon, MO, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Monsalvo
Member #

Thanks for the response!

Axleboy Offroad appears to be Jeep only. I'm running a full size Chevy truck. I'm playing with the idea of installing the springs & shocks with a friend of mine. I'd guess that it would save me a nice chunk of change, and it doesn't appear horribly difficult. It would probably be nice getting to know my rig more too. I definitely need to talk to someone about which one to get though. I may need a pro to hold my hand and tell me which one would work best for my needs. haha

I will most likely contact Mid American Camper Shell to price one out. I've reached out to ARE for a quote as well.

I was hoping to find an off road shop that I could return to over time. I'm really afraid of screwing something up with what works best with what.
Axleboy does everything. They did the gears in my Toyota.
I’ve seen lots of things in their shop. But yes, shops get pricey. Honestly you could probably do it yourself cheaper. Just allocate a day or weekend depending on your skill level.

Mid America isn’t bad. I’ve talked to them before. They have a good inventory.

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
Thanks for the response!

whatcha needing done? I’m 4 hours south, there’s not a lot I can’t handle and I like cash