Missing gear, where did that gear go

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

That sound interesting. Would love to see pictures when the suspension is in. I really like the RS! Also would be interested when you finally solve the Trouble with Tribble. I know it took me awhile to figure out what worked for me, but with a bikepacking/hiking mentality it will be much easier for you than me.
I had previously posted links to Instagram (before I deleted Insta) of the Escape and H&R lifting springs on the 2017RS. I did post pics of the coilovers on the 2016 but they were set to 2.5" lift at the time. I now have a new Insta will post new pics there when I can. Only down side of the RS over the Bronco Sport or Escape is wheel well size you cant go over 28" without hitting the fenders. Got a sleeping bag on close out from REI, great price. Getting my Grandpas old Coleman camp stove for now from family.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

yeah, so many stories
It has taken 65 years to realize hold what you own close, do not ever beg borrow, steal or loan out anything.

I let someone use my skidoo trailer and the next time I used it found a broken weld.
I lent out my overhead door spring winding bars to someone...... but who ??
I don't think I have ever "lost" camping gear but the memory might be doing a seniors thing.

The big thing, don't loan out anything unless you want to lose it.
Add to the bove,

If you never lent it out but ya just can't find it......
was it really an essential overlanding bit of equipment?
Given we are all travelling heavy, losing stuff we don't use might be a blessing.

• Haha
Reactions: UgotWheelz

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I am in the process of reorganizing my camping/overlanding gear so that I can keep track of it better. I'm also in the process of downsizing trying to reduce the amount of stuff I have to take. There's things you need and then there's things that are nice to have but what makes the cut LOL!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@OverlandRS

Much of the gear you mentioned can be picked up for a good price on the Used market. I would suspect that Portland has a used market as good or better than we have here in Colorado. I know you guys have Home page | Next Adventure with a couple of locations around Portland. (Buddy stopped in to pick up some last minute items before picking us up at the airport on my last trip up that way.)
Down in the Denver area we have:
Online shops:

So if you know what you are looking for you can search around for the best price on what you need.
Boort

Last edited:
U

UgotWheelz

@Boort, Noted I had heard of offer up but had no idea what it was or how it worked I thought it was an app. Yeah we have tons of used thrift stores and military surplus here in Oregon. Those are nice Scamps. I can't really get out, or travel now. I am "STILL" the only caregiver for a parent with final stages of ALZ pretty much requires around the clock supervision. That's kind been my primary obstacle for 5+ years.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Boort, Noted I had heard of offer up but had no idea what it was or how it worked I thought it was an app. Yeah we have tons of used thrift stores and military surplus here in Oregon. Those are nice Scamps. I can't really get out, or travel now. I am "STILL" the only caregiver for a parent with final stages of ALZ pretty much requires around the clock supervision. That's kind been my primary obstacle for 5+ years.
@OverlandRS

Yes, OfferUp is mostly app based, but I've never used their App as I don't carry a Cell Phone. The website is almost usable. Items are kinda hit and miss, much like the early days of Craigslist. I kinda keep an eye on it and had seen the pink flower SCAMP a couple of weeks ago for ~$1200 so when I saw your post I checked back and saw the others.

I kind of understand about the not being able to get out due to ALZ. A campmate and good friend of mine is in the same position with her Father going on 7-8 years now, and my Father-in-law is on that path. I can already see being a sole caregiver taking it's toll on MIL after only 2 years or so. Please, Make sure that you find a way to take time to care for yourself! Even if it is only moments "stolen" through out the day.

Boort

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yes for now using my 2018 LE Focus RS. Will install the 3" higher long travel suspension and Falken wildpeak tires off my old Focus as soon as I get a chance. It actually has more cargo capacity than a Subaru CT, about same as Forester & Outback, or more than the new Bronco Sport. I removed my rear sear and all the associated plastics, carpet, and foam trunk organizer from the rear area. I may get a Bronco, or Bronco Sport, or a Ranger later.
Wait a minute- Ok, minute is up — a Ford Focus has more cargo space than the new Bronco? Am I the only one that sees that as horribly wrong?

U

UgotWheelz

YES! If you have the rear seat bases removed or base model Ford/Mazda 3 flip and fold rear seats the Focus Hatch has more cargo volume than the Bronco Sport yes. I took my rear seats out as no-one ever sits back there. Every time you fold them down the leather gets an impression from the seat belt anchors which will eventually wear out the leather so they are out now. They do both use the same chassis platform, and share wheelbase and length. The Bronco Sport is a new variant of that platform architecture so it has slightly different front suspension and instead of having lifting blocks on the control arms awith the lift kit like most Subaru and Mazda lifts do they integrated that into the trailing arm. The Bronco Badlands has a variant of the Focus RS AWD system programed for offroad use, and the engine from the Focus ST. Parts bin special :).

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
YES! If you have the rear seat bases removed or base model Ford/Mazda 3 flip and fold rear seats the Focus Hatch has more cargo volume than the Bronco Sport yes. I took my rear seats out as no-one ever sits back there. Every time you fold them down the leather gets an impression from the seat belt anchors which will eventually wear out the leather so they are out now. They do both use the same chassis platform, and share wheelbase and length. The Bronco Sport is a new variant of that platform architecture so it has slightly different front suspension and instead of having lifting blocks on the control arms awith the lift kit like most Subaru and Mazda lifts do they integrated that into the trailing arm. The Bronco Badlands has a variant of the Focus RS AWD system programed for offroad use, and the engine from the Focus ST. Parts bin special :).
Hmmmm. Just hmmmmm... sounds like you know exactly what you’re doing, tip o the hat to you

U

UgotWheelz

Hmmmm. Just hmmmmm... sounds like you know exactly what you’re doing, tip o the hat to you
Right now this is the vehicle I have so what I am using; but I may not stay with it long. My fears of dependability are starting to be confirmed. Allot of little things used on all Ford cars failing that just should not. This is a 3 year old car.

Last edited by a moderator:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
He mentioned Bronco Sport, which is a dolled up Escape, so not surprising.
I confess that I have done zero research on the new Bronco so I’ve learned a bit here. I’m not sure how Ford is able to label two completely different vehicles with the same name.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I confess that I have done zero research on the new Bronco so I’ve learned a bit here. I’m not sure how Ford is able to label two completely different vehicles with the same name.
I’m not sure why they bothered either. I guess Escape sales are lagging.

My wife has a Bronco on reserve. She’s been running configurations. all I’m asking is get Sasquatch.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I’m not sure why they bothered either. I guess Escape sales are lagging.

My wife has a Bronco on reserve. She’s been running configurations. all I’m asking is get Sasquatch.
I would like to know more about the Sasquatch lift first. Does it simply flex the IFS down, reducing travel, or does it add an long travel suspension lift?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I would like to know more about the Sasquatch lift first. Does it simply flex the IFS down, reducing travel, or does it add an long travel suspension lift?
I don't know that there is any less travel. To me the main thing was getting the locking differentials.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
yeah, so many stories
It has taken 65 years to realize hold what you own close, do not ever beg borrow, steal or loan out anything.

I let someone use my skidoo trailer and the next time I used it found a broken weld.
I lent out my overhead door spring winding bars to someone...... but who ??
I don't think I have ever "lost" camping gear but the memory might be doing a seniors thing.

The big thing, don't loan out anything unless you want to lose it.
The other big thing is to never let someone else (family mostly) clean out and rearrange your "Stuff" unless you are right there on top of it yourself. No one appreciates your junk like you do and it disappears fast if someone finds it just laying there collecting dust !

Reactions: Edy Coyote

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@OverlandRS

Much of the gear you mentioned can be picked up for a good price on the Used market. I would suspect that Portland has a used market as good or better than we have here in Colorado. I know you guys have Home page | Next Adventure with a couple of locations around Portland. (Buddy stopped in to pick up some last minute items before picking us up at the airport on my last trip up that way.)
Down in the Denver area we have:
Online shops:

So if you know what you are looking for you can search around for the best price on what you need.
Boort
Thank you. I found several items I had given up on finding. :-)

Reactions: Boort

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
He mentioned Bronco Sport, which is a dolled up Escape, so not surprising.
I'm getting bad vibes from this information. I want my old Bronco back. I already have an escape AWD (Ford calls it 4 wheel drive ??) that I wouldn't use for any serious off roading. That's why I bought the Land Rover Discovery for my choice of rigs.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Thank you. I found several items I had given up on finding. :-)
That is better than what I usually do. Which is spend weeks looking for the items. Buy the replacement then find the originals 2 feet from where they should have been stored when I'm putting away the new ones!.

Boort

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I'm getting bad vibes from this information. I want my old Bronco back. I already have an escape AWD (Ford calls it 4 wheel drive ??) that I wouldn't use for any serious off roading. That's why I bought the Land Rover Discovery for my choice of rigs.
The last Explorer I drove was “4WD”. i asked the sales guy if it really was or AWD. He said they were the same. I quit while I was ahead.

it was a very nice vehicle, but with 20” wheels and 50 series tires, it was really a pavement princess. Although I did tackled part of the Enchanted Rockies trail with it. He he he.