Missing gear, where did that gear go

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

I was going through my storage last night to try to figure out how much space all my camp gear will consume in the vehicle. I realized I am missing some items from storage under back porch and some items I loaned out a couple years ago I have not got back, and cant remember who borrowed them. My sleep system was donated to a bikepacker who lost all his gear in transit to a race.

I guess I am not quite as prepared as I though :(. So buy new items now on credit and take advantage of holiday or post holiday sales or wait till I can pay cash? If I I tow a full mini camper it will have a stove and bed so I can use home bedding, and have more storage for larger/heavier items I can use from home to replace missing gear. But a teardrop or utility trailer may require different solutions. So many things to consider.

Anyone have their own stories about missing gear, loaned out gear, gear you forgot or lost?

PS. I am looking for a 13' Scamp or similar trailer.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
No stories of any missing gear, cause usually people have more than I do. But in regards to buying/replacing gear, if it's on sale, then I'll buy it now. If not, then I'll wait for a sale just depends on how much I need or want it.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Want or need? Purchase the need, shop for wants there will be lots of deals after 12-25. Why go into debt for wants. Needs keep you from going wants don’t.
I have stuff jacked up by loaning it, I’ve always gotten it back. I did get a new Sierra Designs tent with my REI rebate, left it on top of the car and drove away, realized it 5 mins later and it was gone.

U

UgotWheelz

Yeah my Grandfather taught be about need vs want at an early age. I am pretty logical and don't really buy anything unless I absolutely need it. I have REI membership, dont buy much from them I wonder if I qualify for anything with them :). Havent bought anything from them since like 2013 or 15 for last bikepacking adventure.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Want or need? Purchase the need, shop for wants there will be lots of deals after 12-25. Why go into debt for wants. Needs keep you from going wants don’t.
I have stuff jacked up by loaning it, I’ve always gotten it back. I did get a new Sierra Designs tent with my REI rebate, left it on top of the car and drove away, realized it 5 mins later and it was gone.
Gone like someone stole it or gone cause it feel off top of car, then someone took it? Either way wow.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I loose more soft drinks that way. LOL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Personally I'm against credit on almost anything (I do make exceptions for a Home and a vehicle). I would say if you're looking at overland gear, you probably don't need any of it unless you live out of your rig.
I have nothing I dont need and still want a lot more. My problem is getting to use what I have before it disappears like @OverlandRS

Reactions: old_man

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Most of my gear is 10 to 15 years old, the camping plates are early 90 Mel-Mac done by my family. The tent is only 8 or 9 years, the camp partner stove is 4 years old. I tend to purchase my stuff after a fair bit research and shopping for price and/or service. I don’t use debt for anything anymore, most folks are in a different place. My gear is pretty complete.
I would rather spend money on gas, and fishing trips now.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Personally I'm against credit on almost anything (I do make exceptions for a Home and a vehicle). I would say if you're looking at overland gear, you probably don't need any of it unless you live out of your rig.
I have nothing I dont need and still want a lot more. My problem is getting to use what I have before it disappears like @OverlandRS
Lol. I'm always in a constant state of replacing and upgrading.

U

UgotWheelz

I really only "need" to replace my stove and sleeping bag at this time, I needed a colder rated bag anyway. Most my gear doubles for bikepacking and hiking so a go lite type setup as minimal as possible. I am mostly trying to get an idea of weight and volume of my entire gear system to see how it will fit in the car; if I can't get a camper trailer or utility trailer right away. My gear list seems to be multiplying quickly and I haven't even considered recovery gear, spare parts, or car emergency repair tools yet though I have all that stuff.

Is it possible my gear pile has been infected by Tribbles and is indeed multiplying???

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Anyone have their own stories about missing gear, loaned out gear, gear you forgot or lost?
yeah, so many stories
It has taken 65 years to realize hold what you own close, do not ever beg borrow, steal or loan out anything.

I let someone use my skidoo trailer and the next time I used it found a broken weld.
I lent out my overhead door spring winding bars to someone...... but who ??
I don't think I have ever "lost" camping gear but the memory might be doing a seniors thing.

The big thing, don't loan out anything unless you want to lose it.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I really only "need" to replace my stove and sleeping bag at this time, I needed a colder rated bag anyway. Most my gear doubles for bikepacking and hiking so a go lite type setup as minimal as possible. I am mostly trying to get an idea of weight and volume of my entire gear system to see how it will fit in the car; if I can't get a camper trailer or utility trailer right away. My gear list seems to be multiplying quickly and I haven't even considered recovery gear, spare parts, or car emergency repair tools yet though I have all that stuff.

Is it possible my gear pile has been infected by Tribbles and is indeed multiplying???
I blame YouTube for my own addiction to overloading mods and my gear list. It's either that or you're right about the Tribbles
I just picked up 2 White Duck Bell Tents and a Kni-Co Packer Stove for some winter camping.

Attachments

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Was looking at your signature. Are you overlanding in a Focus RS? Because space definitely would be an issue.

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto
U

UgotWheelz

Yes for now using my 2018 LE Focus RS. Will install the 3" higher long travel suspension and Falken wildpeak tires off my old Focus as soon as I get a chance. It actually has more cargo capacity than a Subaru CT, about same as Forester & Outback, or more than the new Bronco Sport. I removed my rear sear and all the associated plastics, carpet, and foam trunk organizer from the rear area. I may get a Bronco, or Bronco Sport, or a Ranger later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

That sound interesting. Would love to see pictures when the suspension is in. I really like the RS! Also would be interested when you finally solve the Trouble with Tribble. I know it took me awhile to figure out what worked for me, but with a bikepacking/hiking mentality it will be much easier for you than me.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

No stories of any missing gear, cause usually people have more than I do. But in regards to buying/replacing gear, if it's on sale, then I'll buy it now. If not, then I'll wait for a sale just depends on how much I need or want it.
Ha ha! ^^^ That's me. I have my core bunch of gear and a lot of times, other people I camp with have more stuff than me.

Holiday sales are OK, but I find that the after-Christmas sales are better. And of course, if it's not something I'm going to wear, I have no problem working the Craigslist angle

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Ha ha! ^^^ That's me. I have my core bunch of gear and a lot of times, other people I camp with have more stuff than me.

Holiday sales are OK, but I find that the after-Christmas sales are better. And of course, if it's not something I'm going to wear, I have no problem working the Craigslist angle
I know right lol. Right now however I've got a bunch of stuff piled up and no where to go.