tjcloer

Rank 0

Contributor I

Crandall, GA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Cloer
Did you ever resolve this issue? I just bought a MXT575 from e-bay and it's doing the same exact thing. Weak signals have that clickety sound going constantly and I've noticed the volume and squelch don't have any effect on it. The squelch I expected but the volume is the part that gets me. If it was in the signal, the volume should change the loudness of the noise. I'm wired directly to battery with multiple ferrite bead filters on power and coax. Already tried with and without mic extension and tried a different antenna. Sound is present with engine running and without, also with vehicle completely off. Strong signals (when I have perfect LOS with the transmitter) don't have the noise, but everything else does. I also notice it when I turn the radio off. It's not present when listening to NOAA channels, however.

Reactions: OTH Overland

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
I have found that LED lighting (depending on manufacturer) will create some RF noise on 2 ways radios. If you find that is your issue, you may need to install a RF filter on the power wire to the radio.

Reactions: OTH Overland

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Did you ever resolve this issue? I just bought a MXT575 from e-bay and it's doing the same exact thing. Weak signals have that clickety sound going constantly and I've noticed the volume and squelch don't have any effect on it. The squelch I expected but the volume is the part that gets me. If it was in the signal, the volume should change the loudness of the noise. I'm wired directly to battery with multiple ferrite bead filters on power and coax. Already tried with and without mic extension and tried a different antenna. Sound is present with engine running and without, also with vehicle completely off. Strong signals (when I have perfect LOS with the transmitter) don't have the noise, but everything else does. I also notice it when I turn the radio off. It's not present when listening to NOAA channels, however.
It's a DC pop. It's by design. I did extensive testing. If you'd like to share a video I can confirm. But if it's similar to my video, this is "just the way it works." I've learned to accept it.

tjcloer

Rank 0

Contributor I

Crandall, GA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Cloer
I'll try to get a video up soon. I discovered today that it seems that any update of the screen results in this sound, but only while receiving a signal. For example, if someone is transmitting and the signal meter is full, the click doesn't happen. As soon as the signal wavers and shows as a change in intensity (signal meter changes or drops bars) the click happens. I'm going to try powering it from a test bench soon and see if this has any effect on it. It drives me insane lol. I don't know if I can get used to it. I'll most likely get rid of the radio if it persists.

tjcloer

Rank 0

Contributor I

Crandall, GA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Cloer
I have found that LED lighting (depending on manufacturer) will create some RF noise on 2 ways radios. If you find that is your issue, you may need to install a RF filter on the power wire to the radio.
I've read a lot of people having that issue, but mine makes this sound even with the entire vehicle completely turned off with nothing else powered.