Rank VI

Member III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

I tried asking this in the “Trail Q & A” forum but didn’t get much response or any clarity - so I’m trying here too.

My question is: I’ve heard about the Mendocino Backcountry Discovery Trail as being a really great and beautiful trail and have found articles and videos about it online - but I don’t see that trail (or any info about it) listed on the Overland Bound map section of the app. Am I missing something or has no one ever added and reviewed it on here? I’m sure others in the overland bound community (besides myself) would benefit from having the trail with info listed here within the app and on the map. Thanks in advance!

BP Jeep

Rank III

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Pine
Member #

I am interested in this as well, I got the gpx file from Overland Trail Guides but you can't get all the info on campsites and attractions unless you pay. I did get the file without that but it doesn't contain the route either, so I am not sure what to do. I attached the file I got. My Magellan TRX can be a bit finicky so maybe it is there and I don't see it.

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I am interested in this as well, I got the gpx file from Overland Trail Guides but you can't get all the info on campsites and attractions unless you pay. I did get the file without that but it doesn't contain the route either, so I am not sure what to do. I attached the file I got. My Magellan TRX can be a bit finicky so maybe it is there and I don't see it.

GPX viewer
I am having no problem seeing the route in this file; have uploaded this file to OB1, onX, gaia and my own GPX parser and they all find a route; not sure what is going on for all y'all who cannot see the route in this file. Give me a bit and I'll submit the route publicly to OB1 to hopefully make it visible there for you all - we shall see what happens. Mind you that it does take some time for the OB admins to approve any submission before it becomes globally visible (@Michael).

This is the route shown in OB1 after importing the GPX file that @BP Jeep attached above.

IMG_0928.PNG

My GPX parser finds this (it summarizes GPX data)

Routes (1)
--------------
"Mendocino BDT" 169.04 miles, highest elevation 6515.55 ft, lowest elevation 1339.28 ft, highest point [39.523326, -122.941102], lowest point [39.168319, -122.911622], ascent 31826.34 ft, descent 31770.82 ft
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
"Mendocino BDR" submitted to OB1 as a public track; you will have to give it some time to be reviewed and, hopefully, approved. Hope that this helps!

Reactions: JaredThomsen

Jane and Sergio

Rank V

Influencer II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Morariu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KOP
Service Branch
Navy
What I think I'll do is put up a Mendocino trip up on Overland Bound and work on a route with POI's and potential camp spots. I'm looking at November 18-20. We can do a conference call to plan it out.

Reactions: JaredThomsen

BP Jeep

Rank III

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Pine
Member #

I Use a Magellan TRX an I can see the route untill I save it. I think the layer isn't turned on and my GPS won't do that. I downloaded the Deathvalley trip and I only see points of intrest no route.

BP Jeep

Rank III

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Pine
Member #

I am having no problem seeing the route in this file; have uploaded this file to OB1, onX, gaia and my own GPX parser and they all find a route; not sure what is going on for all y'all who cannot see the route in this file. Give me a bit and I'll submit the route publicly to OB1 to hopefully make it visible there for you all - we shall see what happens. Mind you that it does take some time for the OB admins to approve any submission before it becomes globally visible (@Michael).

This is the route shown in OB1 after importing the GPX file that @BP Jeep attached above.

View attachment 241631

My GPX parser finds this (it summarizes GPX data)

Routes (1)
--------------
"Mendocino BDT" 169.04 miles, highest elevation 6515.55 ft, lowest elevation 1339.28 ft, highest point [39.523326, -122.941102], lowest point [39.168319, -122.911622], ascent 31826.34 ft, descent 31770.82 ft
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you send me your GPX file with all layers turned on and I will see if that works. Send it to dieselrammandude@ aol dot com

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Can you send me your GPX file with all layers turned on and I will see if that works. Send it to dieselrammandude@ aol dot com
My GPX file is one in the same as your GPX file ;) I went ahead and exported them out of onX as GPX and KML, after successfully importing and seeing the route on the map. Hope this helps!

Attachments

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Looks like the OB1 review process is happening now - awesome! Note that the name of the OB1 track may change from "Mendocino BDR" to "Mendocino BDT" because I am used to using BDR and not BDT. Will leave it up to the reviewer to change as they see fit. (@Kent R)

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I tried asking this in the “Trail Q & A” forum but didn’t get much response or any clarity - so I’m trying here too.

My question is: I’ve heard about the Mendocino Backcountry Discovery Trail as being a really great and beautiful trail and have found articles and videos about it online - but I don’t see that trail (or any info about it) listed on the Overland Bound map section of the app. Am I missing something or has no one ever added and reviewed it on here? I’m sure others in the overland bound community (besides myself) would benefit from having the trail with info listed here within the app and on the map. Thanks in advance!
The North Bay group did that loop back in May. Followed the route from Overland Trail Guides. Overland Routes & Adventures

Keep in mind that you can't complete the loop due to a landslide near the Eel River Campground, and will have to cut back on Espee Ridge Road. I doubt it's been repaired since then. The last few pages has pics from our trip, including the landslide.

BP Jeep

Rank III

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Pine
Member #

My GPX file is one in the same as your GPX file ;) I went ahead and exported them out of onX as GPX and KML, after successfully importing and seeing the route on the map. Hope this helps!
That did the trick I can see it now. If not to much trouble can you do this one as well. It seems I do need to do something to show up on my Magellan I wonder how I can do that myself?

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety