Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
SWPA here as well. Active member in “Pittsburgh Overland”

In case nobody has seen yet, we’re changing the Rigs and Coffee to a more adventurous pace. More like Adventure, Rigs, and Coffee.
I did see, and such an awesome idea. I did my first two trail rides this past year and had both with a meetup within the state Forest.

Fun fact: I noticed the new format for rigs and coffee to coordinates and coffee as I was scouting a place for meetups. Most of the people in CPAO are from the southeast...so I was trying to figure a meetup. Which just happens to be exactly the opposite of the trend...lol.

I found a Sheetz that literally is almost equal distance to Rothrock, Bald Eagle and Tuscarora. The idea being, have the meetup at the Sheetz. If too many people show up we have the opportunity to head 3 different directions.

The blue navigation dot shows the Sheetz.

I really hope to get to one or more of the coordinates and coffee.

Screenshot_20240210-221910.pngScreenshot_20240210-221940.pngScreenshot_20240210-222010.png

Reactions: OVRLAND

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Not much activity here anymore.

I am still out adventuring as often as I can.

Did some scouting this past weekend. Drew some lines on paper maps using Avenza and my RAM.

What has everyone been up to?

PFA.Screenshot_20240622-232530.pngScreenshot_20240622-232600.pngScreenshot_20240622-232657.pngScreenshot_20240623-152440.pngIMG_20240608_090555.jpg

Reactions: MuckSavage

pepple84

Rank I

Contributor III

Bedford, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Pepple
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3KHK
Looks like I'm late to the party in PA. Just joined up from Bedford County. I've been out to camp in Tuscarora but looks like there's some nice trails in Bald Eagle. I'm soaking in all the info from these posts, so much to learn.

I see you're in Altoona, ever make it down to Gallitzin State Forest? A year or so ago I jumped in with a Jeep club ride from Portage through Blue Knob up to 3 state vista.

• Love
Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Looks like I'm late to the party in PA. Just joined up from Bedford County. I've been out to camp in Tuscarora but looks like there's some nice trails in Bald Eagle. I'm soaking in all the info from these posts, so much to learn.

I see you're in Altoona, ever make it down to Gallitzin State Forest? A year or so ago I jumped in with a Jeep club ride from Portage through Blue Knob up to 3 state vista.
Yes. I have been to Gallitzin many times. It however is one of 2 of the state forests that do not offer motorized camping.

Blue Knob is one of my favorite State parks.

Lots for great Forest roads and vistas in Gallitzin State Forest.

If it is the jeep ride I am thinking about, I work with the guy who put it on.

If your from Bedford... Buchanan is the forest area that would be closest to you. I love Buchanan. Ever since Bald Eagle and Rothrock got so busy, we go there often and regularly!

Reactions: MuckSavage