Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

Ri_T_chie B

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
RICHARD
Last Name
BURKEHOLDER
Member #

Hey everyone, I randomly came across this forum. I’m also a philly guy and travel a bit outside the area.
always down for exploring and adventure. If anyone has a trip planned or planning one, I’d be sure to tag along if possible!!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Reactions: Girdurloins

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
I'll have to pick this up, i'd like to find some dispersed out by the Elk herd..

Son and i heading out tomorrow am. Unsure where i'll end up right now, probably outside Leetonia (Tioga) but but we need to find some better sites, hopefully on some type of water.

Considered BESF and #47 is available till friday.. maybe start there and then north.. i'v never visited BESF.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
There are dispersed sites down Medix Run up by Benezette. But the fisherman really like them. Some really good fishing there.

We were going that way this weekend to see the Elk...but now not sure what the plans are.

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
^ Thank You for that, i'll have to keep that in mind. We do fish the Pine Creek on occasion so it's of interest to us.

Looks like a Thursday am departure now..

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
Thanks @DevilDodge, my son and i left Wednesday am, ended up in Tioga SF for two nights. Then found a new site that we moved to on Friday, more scenic and open than most site's in the area that was just outside Tioga. Eagle nesting on the ridge and saw her fly a few times over the next two days. On a loop road so not much traffic..

Not a very good pic, the colors were more vibrant and just about to peak.

My son and his GF are looking to get out again soon, believe they will be going to check out the Medix Run sites you graciously shared.

EagleRidge1.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So...we drove up last night. Spur of the moment on a whim.

Filled the truck up with gas at the Snappy's at the Bald eagle Exit of 99. I had .25 cents off a gallon.

30 gallons later we took off.

Headed up 350 to 53 in Phillipsburg. Then went left onto Deer Creek road in Morrisdale.

Followed that up to. Were we hit dirt road.

We then took Wilson Switch Road and followed it to Medix Run Grade. And of course...to my surprise...all the motorized camping sites were empty. Had I assumed that I could have got this trip on the road sooner and got good pics of them.

But it was dark as we drove by.

We then went into the town of Medix Run and then to Benezette and up to the viewing areas.

As we went out the forest roads we saw 62 or 64 deer...i counted 64 my son said 62 lol.

We got to see 2 Bull Elk. One in a farmer's field and one at the viewing area.

My darn cell phone would not take a clear pic.

The leaves are changing fast. Man do I love PA in the fall

Reactions: PennStateTaco

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I went out to Loyalsock for a quick overnight this past weekend. The weather was perfect- until 2am when a cloud sat on us and just made everything WET. We took our new kitten out for her first time.
PXL_20200926_203043557.jpgPXL_20200926_194016671.jpgPXL_20200926_194747707.jpg