Rank I

Contributor III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Alvin
Last Name
Lang
Hello - Just joined,

Have not built out a rig yet - but complete beginner trying to find trails/camping spots to try on an ambitious 4x2 RWD pickup with a 8ft long bed set-up. Obviously will not be nearly as off-road capable, but hoping to still utilize the rig to camp/light offroad when conditions are good. Located in Northern NJ.
I am currently floating the idea of buying a high-rise bed cap such as a Leer 122, and building a bedroom with pullout storage underneath as the main configuration for my overland rig. Until that is built, I plan to try tent-camping with my wife as a good starting point this spring season. Open to 4x2 do-able routes to check out/suggestions/tips on how I can get the most fun and adventure out of this platform, totally understand I am disadvantaged from a 4x2 set-up, but want to get community thoughts as well.

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
Pics attached

2) Location (General area is fine)
Northern NJ

3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
2009 Ford F-150, XL, 4x2, 4.6L V8 Triton 2-valve, 4-spd auto, 8 ft bed, regular cab.

4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)
Complete novice, but looking to get the most out of my adventure-beater truck.

Attachments

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hello - Just joined,

Have not built out a rig yet - but complete beginner trying to find trails/camping spots to try on an ambitious 4x2 RWD pickup with a 8ft long bed set-up. Obviously will not be nearly as off-road capable, but hoping to still utilize the rig to camp/light offroad when conditions are good. Located in Northern NJ.
I am currently floating the idea of buying a high-rise bed cap such as a Leer 122, and building a bedroom with pullout storage underneath as the main configuration for my overland rig. Until that is built, I plan to try tent-camping with my wife as a good starting point this spring season. Open to 4x2 do-able routes to check out/suggestions/tips on how I can get the most fun and adventure out of this platform, totally understand I am disadvantaged from a 4x2 set-up, but want to get community thoughts as well.

Pics attached

Northern NJ

2009 Ford F-150, XL, 4x2, 4.6L V8 Triton 2-valve, 4-spd auto, 8 ft bed, regular cab.

4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)
Hallo Alvin
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

DavinFelth

Rank I

Contributor III

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Dre
Last Name
Nat
Hy Guys.. I been reading the forums for a while now but decided to join the discussion.
Been camping and hiking for years now, decided to get a trailer and start getting out there. Since SE PA is not the most exciting place to overland, I am still game to go out with the family to campgrounds and see where I can overland.
The truck is an 2004 Chevy suburban, not the jeep and 4runner that you see on these forums but it can get me out of jams. The trailer is a 2021 Opus OP4 which we love.
We are thinking about moving to where this can be a get up and go out adventure but that's another story.
I look forward to the discussions.

Attachments

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hy Guys.. I been reading the forums for a while now but decided to join the discussion.
Been camping and hiking for years now, decided to get a trailer and start getting out there. Since SE PA is not the most exciting place to overland, I am still game to go out with the family to campgrounds and see where I can overland.
The truck is an 2004 Chevy suburban, not the jeep and 4runner that you see on these forums but it can get me out of jams. The trailer is a 2021 Opus OP4 which we love.
We are thinking about moving to where this can be a get up and go out adventure but that's another story.
Hallo David
Welcome to OBO
Nice rig by the way
WBR
Bengt n
Sweden

Reactions: Shahn and Kent R

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hallo David
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

Somewhat new to this community but been exploring a few years. My name is Elliot. I have a 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. It's served me well but looking to start building it out for longer, deeper trips. Located in the Southern CA area.
Welcome aboard Elliot! The forums cover a huge amount of DIY installation tips, and the community is more than helpful with any endeavor. Can't wait to see what you build out!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello - Just joined,

Pics attached

Northern NJ

Hello Alvin, welcome to Overland Bound.
You can go amazing places with decent tires and either limited slip or air lockers on the rear of a two wheel drive truck.

LewTube

Rank I

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Lew
Last Name
MacDonald
Hello All from Kelowna, BC,

We (wife & myself) have been road trippers from the day we met in 1986.

Our first trip started out in Vancouver BC (where we both lived & grew up) with a few clothes and a Mazda 323 with no plan at all. A few days later we end up in San Francisco and the lifetime journey began.

We now find ourselves empty nesters with 3 adult sons, 2 daughter in laws & 2 grandsons all living 4 to 7 hours away. The past 4-5 years have been spent RVing, but a crowded RV site is not that much different than staying home.

The COVID travel restrictions have us searching for new adventures in our own backyard and overlanding seems to fit the bill, we currently own a 2015 Ram Sport (lifted on 35s), 2007 Suburban (future overlander?) and the bush buggy 1999 Suzuki Vitara (2 door).

I look forward to learning and sharing where I can.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

Our first trip started out in Vancouver BC (where we both lived & grew up) with a few clothes and a Mazda 323 with no plan at all. A few days later we end up in San Francisco and the lifetime journey began.

We now find ourselves empty nesters with 3 adult sons, 2 daughter in laws & 2 grandsons all living 4 to 7 hours away. The past 4-5 years have been spent RVing, but a crowded RV site is not that much different than staying home.

The COVID travel restrictions have us searching for new adventures in our own backyard and overlanding seems to fit the bill, we currently own a 2015 Ram Sport (lifted on 35s), 2007 Suburban (future overlander?) and the bush buggy 1999 Suzuki Vitara (2 door).

Welcome Lew!

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

Hello,

My name is Dalton. A few years ago, camping and offroading we're both pretty foreign to me. Which is nuts because my home, the Black Hills of South Dakota, is phenomenal for both. I picked up a 2019 Ford Ranger a couple years ago and the wife and I have done some road trips in it, camping originally in a truck bed tent. We made it down to Moab, up to Theodore Roosevelt NP, and in our own backyard of Badlands NP. We picked up an RTT for Black Friday and I hoping to keep on traveling as our jobs allow.
Hi Dalton, welcome aboard..

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hallo Lew
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

Hello Lew, welcome to Overland Bound.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly universal online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
The Regional Director for local information it @M Rose
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: LewTube and Shahn

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome To Overland Bound
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: Shahn

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello - Just joined,

Pics attached

Northern NJ

Welcome To Overland Bound
This page might help you out 2WD Rigs
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
RESOURCE MAP
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.

Reactions: Shahn

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Somewhat new to this community but been exploring a few years. My name is Elliot. I have a 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. It's served me well but looking to start building it out for longer, deeper trips. Located in the Southern CA area.
Hello Elliot, welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: Kent R

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello - Just joined,

Pics attached

Northern NJ

Hello Alvin, welcome to Overland Bound! You've come to the right place to learn, there is a wealth of knowledge here for sure!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello Dre, welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: Kent R

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549

Hello Lew, welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: Kent R and LewTube