Enthusiast II

Hilversum, Netherlands
First Name
Jan
Last Name
David
Member #

Hi folks,

after lurking on YouTube for a while and dreaming of exploring eventually, I finally pulled the trigger and joined the community.

I had a few rough months on top of two already challenging years, and while there is light at the end of the tunnel, my batteries have been completely drained. Before jumping into anything new, I feel like I need to take some time for myself to settle down, recharge, and think about what I actually want to do in life. The last few years feel a bit like on autopilot, and I need to make some changes to prevent ending up in a similar situation again in a few years time.

While thinking about this situation I was reminded of some of the Overland Bound videos, and What I really Think about Overlanding in particular really resonated with me. I always talked about traveling Europe, hiking or mountain biking, and picking up photography as a hobby again. It didn't click for me until now, but with hindsight I feel like I've known for a long time that I needed to get into the outdoors again and reconnect with nature.

I live in the Netherlands, which is both very densely populated and in large parts artificial land. Especially where I live, everything piece of nature is a park and there isn't much wilderness to explore. As a complete novice when it comes to travel and camping, I'm looking to do smaller weekend trips through winter and stay in hotels/hostels/..., and then slowly extend my comfort zone into camping come spring. My mid-term goal is to spend a few weeks on the road exploring either Scandinavia or Iberia, hopefully in the summer of next year.

For now I'll be traveling with my Saab 9-7X (a re-badged Chevy Trailblazer), but I'm strongly considering treating myself to something that has better parts coverage in Europe and is easier to modify long-term. Think Land Cruiser 120 or similar.

Looking forward to meeting you on the trail!

Todd32x

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Beckley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3THB
Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Hi folks,

after lurking on YouTube for a while and dreaming of exploring eventually, I finally pulled the trigger and joined the community.

I had a few rough months on top of two already challenging years, and while there is light at the end of the tunnel, my batteries have been completely drained. Before jumping into anything new, I feel like I need to take some time for myself to settle down, recharge, and think about what I actually want to do in life. The last few years feel a bit like on autopilot, and I need to make some changes to prevent ending up in a similar situation again in a few years time.

While thinking about this situation I was reminded of some of the Overland Bound videos, and What I really Think about Overlanding in particular really resonated with me. I always talked about traveling Europe, hiking or mountain biking, and picking up photography as a hobby again. It didn't click for me until now, but with hindsight I feel like I've known for a long time that I needed to get into the outdoors again and reconnect with nature.

I live in the Netherlands, which is both very densely populated and in large parts artificial land. Especially where I live, everything piece of nature is a park and there isn't much wilderness to explore. As a complete novice when it comes to travel and camping, I'm looking to do smaller weekend trips through winter and stay in hotels/hostels/..., and then slowly extend my comfort zone into camping come spring. My mid-term goal is to spend a few weeks on the road exploring either Scandinavia or Iberia, hopefully in the summer of next year.

For now I'll be traveling with my Saab 9-7X (a re-badged Chevy Trailblazer), but I'm strongly considering treating myself to something that has better parts coverage in Europe and is easier to modify long-term. Think Land Cruiser 120 or similar.

Welcome to the OB community! This is a great way to wind down and give yourself a break. Enjoy!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
New member old timer here. I’ve been watching Overland Bound on YouTube for years and it is part of my way to stay connected even if I’m not out away from the city.
I’ve been an adventurer my whole life and car camping and overlanding is comfort for me. Found memories of bombing down the road with my Grandfather in his 62 Pontiac Bonneville with a canvas tent and his trusty camp stove, catching fish for dinner. Anyway…

Denver Colorado area
2000 Ford Expedition set up for how me and my wife like to enjoy getting out.
1989 Ford Bronco for the day trips in the mountains of Colorado and Utah.
Ive been off-roading and camping my whole life so I guess I’m “experienced”. I also ride dirt bikes and do a few big multi day rides yearly with only what you can carry on your back so I tend to be a minimalist type overlander. You can fit a full sized mattress in the back of an Expedition so sleeping in comfort is important to me. I document my adventures on YouTube mostly for my relatives but I’m getting a little better at it. Starks Expeditions is my channel. I’m always looking to add like minded people to my trips. And it is an honor to help people get out and help them become comfortable off the beaten path.

View attachment 216104View attachment 216105
Hello Richard, welcome to Overland Bound.

Reactions: Shahn and Kent R

Gunners01

Rank 0

Contributor I

Grapevine, TX, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Erickson
Hello Kevin (@Gunners01 ), welcome to Overland Bound. I am your Southwest Region Member Rep for Texas. Sounds like you and your family are well on your way to adventure.

There are a couple DFW area meetups you can check out here: DFW OB meet and greet & DFW - Meet & Greet

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

If you have any questions, please just let me know.
Many thanks!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
View attachment 216219

Hello everyone. My name is Glen
I am in Albuquerque, NM
2001 Cherokee XJ (I have had it 16 years) The paint is bad but that has it's advantages!
I moved to NM in 2004 and started exploring right away. I do not claim to be an expert but I have fun!
Hello Glen, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi folks,

Hello Jan, welcome to Overland Bound.

RayH

Rank II

Member I

Montezuma County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Hageman
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound Ray
Great looking rig
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
OB Members Colorado
Social Media:
Telegram; OB - Colorado General
RM FB; Facebook Groups
Your Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew
The closest Member Representative is @trail_runn4r Denver Area, @Iridium Fort Collins
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com
Thank you

RayH

Rank II

Member I

Montezuma County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Hageman
Member #

Welcome to the community Ray! Love the og Bronco! We have a very active community here in Colorado as you'd probably expect. Keep an eye on rally point we are always putting up events, and trips on there. We're kinda in the off season at this point for most high country trips. Hit me up if you have any questions about anything. I'm hoping to host a rigs and something for everyone to meet up sometime in January. I'm up in FoCo where are you generally located?
Thank you for the welcome, I’m in Cortez

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hey, we are a couple overlanding from Berlin to Cape Town. Currently in Turkey, next Iran, UAE, then ship to Kenya. Happy to connect with other travelers in the region.
Welcome from Frankfurt Julian! It sounds like an exciting trip! Safe travels and viel Spaß!

Rick

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi folks,

Hello Jan and welcome to OverlandBound!

Thank you for your detailed introduction.

As Rick has already written in the MidEurope section, some meetings are planned. Check out the RallyPoints please.

We also have a virtual Campfire every 14 days that was created by the C19 situation. This allows us to exchange ideas without a face to face meeting, which helps reduce contact in terms of C19 action. Join us next time if you like! Will be great talking to you.

If you have any questions, for example, about preparing your trip or worthwhile destinations, feel free to get in touch. I am happy to help.

Enjoy!

Björn

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hey, we are a couple overlanding from Berlin to Cape Town. Currently in Turkey, next Iran, UAE, then ship to Kenya. Happy to connect with other travelers in the region.
Hi and welcome to OB!

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Turkey is an awesome region for overlanding. Enjoy your time there.

Have safe journey!

Cheers
Bjoern

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hi folks,

Hello

Welcome to the Forum, but most of all welcome to the community.

If I can help with questions, and providing info I am happy to do so.

Just go to the Europe section of this forum to find more specific info about Europe.

You will find nearly everything on the forum in generall about Overlanding. So just dive in and have fun.
For meet ups and trips, go here and find people to join on events.

Join us also in the whatsapp group for Mid Europe and our Facebook page.

Overland Bound - Mid Europe

Europe Overland Bound

Enjoy your stay here and I hope to see you somewhere out on a track/event.

Greetings from Robert

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

New member old timer here. I’ve been watching Overland Bound on YouTube for years and it is part of my way to stay connected even if I’m not out away from the city.
I’ve been an adventurer my whole life and car camping and overlanding is comfort for me. Found memories of bombing down the road with my Grandfather in his 62 Pontiac Bonneville with a canvas tent and his trusty camp stove, catching fish for dinner. Anyway…

Denver Colorado area
2000 Ford Expedition set up for how me and my wife like to enjoy getting out.
1989 Ford Bronco for the day trips in the mountains of Colorado and Utah.
Ive been off-roading and camping my whole life so I guess I’m “experienced”. I also ride dirt bikes and do a few big multi day rides yearly with only what you can carry on your back so I tend to be a minimalist type overlander. You can fit a full sized mattress in the back of an Expedition so sleeping in comfort is important to me. I document my adventures on YouTube mostly for my relatives but I’m getting a little better at it. Starks Expeditions is my channel. I’m always looking to add like minded people to my trips. And it is an honor to help people get out and help them become comfortable off the beaten path.

View attachment 216104View attachment 216105
Welcome to the OB family family. I’m in Loveland CO

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Welcome to OB. Looks like an amazing trip. Do you have a YouTube or IG account you can share that document your adventure?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome to Overland Bound
Our Africa/Middle East Director @Get Out GO is a great resource for travel along your route.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: Shahn

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi folks,

Welcome to Overland Bound
Our Mid Europe Director is @Robert OB 33/48, he is a wealth of knowledge for your region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
View attachment 216219

Hello everyone. My name is Glen
I am in Albuquerque, NM
2001 Cherokee XJ (I have had it 16 years) The paint is bad but that has it's advantages!
I moved to NM in 2004 and started exploring right away. I do not claim to be an expert but I have fun!
Welcome to Overland Bound Glen
Great rig.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
RESOURCE MAP
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com