Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Good day all
Dene here from Johannesburg South Africa. Great to be here among legends! Although I owned a 1990 toyota hilux double cab 4x4 for 15 years, I never used it for anything other than a daily driver and tow vehicle.
But next week I take delivery of the 1992 land cruiser in the pic (note: bonnet open for cleaning, nothing else):-). I am planning to take it on a trip from Port Elizabeth all the way up through Namibia to the Angolan border. from there I will turn East to Rundu and than make my way back to Johannesburg via Botswana. All this by December this year If I can swing it.
Welcome Dene!

Reactions: Kent R

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

2007 Ford Explorer Xlt 4.6l v8 4wd
Charlotte Michigan
Novice, just looking to get into some dispersed camping and two tracking.
Welcome aboard! Hope to get out soon...because of the pandemic everything has changed so the big trip for this summer has been edited...watch for details soon...

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Hello to everyone,
I am currently living in Youngstown, Ohio, but have lived in many other places here and overseas.

I've been traveling and exploring in my pickup for the last couple of years. In 2018, my son (23841) and I travel 10000 miles through 7 National Parks, Banff/Jasper Provincial Parks and back again.

View attachment 153836

Last year we climbed Pikes Peak, while overlanding to alpine lakes and rivers to hike and fly fish.

View attachment 153837

My stock F350 (my daily work truck) certainly fulfills my needs so far but always looking to make things better, safer and more exciting.

View attachment 153838

I'm looking forward to learning from this community
I love the full body rig builds...stay tuned to the Rally Points for the Midwest. As soon as the pandemic drops a few notches I'll be creating some events...I'll see you out there!

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Hello, my name is Ryan I am just starting to get into Overlanding. I drive a 2020 stock Tacoma and am curious as to where to start with modifications, thanks everyone.
We have an FJ Cruiser and a 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad manual transmission. The first thing we did was tires. We went a little taller with our tires and we went with BFG KO2. Simply the best tire for all around use. We are in the market once again for tires and I think we may go with the KM3 tires after we put on the lift. With 100,000 miles on the rig she needs new tires and shocks so we might as well upgrade everything at once. Each person has their own path when modifying a rig but always look at it as function before fashion. You may want that new snorkel but as yourself if you really need it for what your doing. As you decide to get into more aggressive stuff get rock sliders and skid plates. Bumpers will come next generally. Front bumpers are a must if you tend to do a lot of highway driving at night in areas where animal strikes are common. The key is just to get out there and see what you use and what you needed. Same with your camping kit. I would say stay away from roof top tents unless your a monkey and can climb around your rig. They are a pain in the ass. Stick with a good basecamp ground tent. I hope this helps....I'll be hosting some Overlanding 101 courses this year and next in the midwest once the pandemic is dropped down a few more notches....

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Hello everyone! I've been working on turning my old Defender into an overlanding/offroad rig for a few years and it's finally getting to the point of being reliable enough to start doing longer outings (engine swap to a Mercedes 300TD helps). I'm in the Spokane area and would like to meet up with others as in the past my outings have been mostly solo.
Nicolas,
Welcome to OB. Meetups are a bit hard to find right now, but I'm sure we'll get back to them soon. @RyuKyuRvr is another local(kindof) Rover fan. I'm sure you guys could spend many an hour sharing stories of time spent fixing your cherished rides. Look forward to meeting you on the trail.

-Steve

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Hi everyone. My name is Travis. I've been camping and hunting for many years. Started overlanding a few years ago as a way to see the country with my daughter.
Welcome to the group Travis, you will find lots of great like minded folks here, always good to see a new member in the Northwest. Hope to see you at an event or on the trail somewhere soon.

Dave & Michelle

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Alright, well this officially took me way to long to do. I wouldn’t say I’m a novice at all, nor would I say I’m a expert either haha. We are out of the Portland, OR area. I use a 19 Dodge Ram Cummins, I seriously enjoy it just for the fact that it’s different. I KILLS me however beating up 1 year old paint weekly. I do long range precision shooting, which was a easy tie in to overlanding. Getting out to the high desert and setting up is much easier when you have days to do it. And remote is key when shooting a mile. But one time my wife expressed interest in going. Having never camped before in her life... I had to warn her, it wasn’t a RV by any stretch. Well, she really enjoyed it. So now it’s all “we need to get a drone and take video, and start a YouTube” Any way, one step at a time haha.
Welcome Marshall, Beautiful Ram, if only there was a way to avoid the pin striping that our NW back-roads love to apply to the sides of our rigs...lol While our main overland rig is an older Grand Cherokee, we do find ourselves up a trail in our Ram one ton dually on occasion and those rear fenders are a magnet for potential damage, but having virtually no limit on how much stuff we can bring...priceless.. Glad you are able to combine backwoods travel with your passion for shooting (getting hard to find good safe places to shoot up where we are), and that your wife is enjoying the camping. Look forward to seeing some cinematic drone flyovers of your adventures on the interwebs some time soon.

Dave & Michelle

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Hello Everyone,

My name is Joel and I have had 4 wheel drives off and on most of my life. I recently purchased a new rig and my daughter has shown interest in traveling around the state and exploring ghost towns and camping. So I figured I would start setting my new truck up as an overland rig and start trying to have some more adventures.
Rig: 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel (mostly stock at this point), I have added a ARE Z2 topper, Vice Designs hidden winch mount and Warn 12k winch at this point.
Having a small off-road teardrop style camper built to add to the mix as well. Should make for some fun adventures this summer when this whole virus mess eases up.
Looking forward to cruising through the forums and see what other folks are setting up and to use the maps to plan some fun adventures.
Take care and stay safe.

Joel
View attachment 154393
Hello Joel, welcome to the group, You are lucky to live in a great place for exploring, Michelle & I travel to the Missoula area as often as we can, There are plenty of ghost towns around the area and wonderful scenery. There are some great people in this group and a lot of good information on travel ideas and cool places to see. Enjoy your travels.

bizcoachbrett

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Decatur, GA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

My name is Brett Duffy
I live in Metro Atlanta, GA ITP
I drive a 1989 Toyota LandCruiser FJ62 as my daily driver
I have a little experience overlanding, but am always looking for more and of course to learn and develop my skills

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

Hi all. I joined here a couple years ago but never really became active. With all this free time I have these days to lurk the forums I figured I would say hello now that I have actually became a member.

Name is Steve,
I am originally from Denver Colorado, moved to San Leandro CA back in 2007. I came to the Bay for a job opportunity that was supposed to last 6 months and now we are going on 13 years.
My rig is a 2018 4Runner as seen in my avatar. My wife and I do tons of camping and nowadays a fair share of overlanding. We are slowly piecing together everything to make our overland experience the best possible without breaking the bank.

Well, that's my intro. I'm sure there is more I could add but this is a good start.

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Welcome to everyone that has joined recently...I am fairly new as well but helping to represent the MD region (actually live in Northern VA, but grew up in MD)...if you are in the DMV area, look for meetups to be scheduled soon and use the region specific search in the Rally Point tab. I hosted one last fall at my house and a few of us just sat around the fire pit and talked about our rigs and goals with overlanding.

TMorris

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Yellow Springs, OH, USA
First Name
Tunney
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Hello all, my name is Tunney Morris and I am a recently retired career Firefighter/Paramedic and USMC vet. I live in the central Ohio area and awarded myself a 2020 Toyota Tacoma on retirement. I am a complete novice in regard to Overlanding.

Travelin'trio

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

6639 S State Hwy 16, Pipe Creek, TX, USA
First Name
MaryJane
Last Name
Linson
Member #

Hi from Bandera Texas! My husband and I are just starting out on this new adventure and are hoping to get some help in figuring out what is and isn't necessary for us while doing it. We will be adventuring in a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with our Giant Schnauzer named Kate. I don't have a pic of our rig, but we did just put a set of Rock Slider steps on it and have some good ideas for future additions. Can't wait to get started.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Alright, well this officially took me way to long to do. I wouldn’t say I’m a novice at all, nor would I say I’m a expert either haha. We are out of the Portland, OR area. I use a 19 Dodge Ram Cummins, I seriously enjoy it just for the fact that it’s different. I KILLS me however beating up 1 year old paint weekly. I do long range precision shooting, which was a easy tie in to overlanding. Getting out to the high desert and setting up is much easier when you have days to do it. And remote is key when shooting a mile. But one time my wife expressed interest in going. Having never camped before in her life... I had to warn her, it wasn’t a RV by any stretch. Well, she really enjoyed it. So now it’s all “we need to get a drone and take video, and start a YouTube” Any way, one step at a time haha.
Welcome ,
I am the Northwest Regional Director for Overland Bound. @Munga Brown is your closest Member Representative.

Due to “Social Distancing” and “Shelter In Place” practices during the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have temporarily postponed group meetups, trail rides, and Campouts. Instead the Northwest Member Rep Team has incorporated weekly conference calls each Sunday at 7:30 PM PST (8:30) Mountain Time). A full list with scheduling can be found at Sunday Night Regional Conference Call

Welcome once again
Stay well, stay safe

Mike Rose
NW Director
Overland Bound

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi everyone. My name is Travis. I've been camping and hunting for many years. Started overlanding a few years ago as a way to see the country with my daughter.
Welcome Travis ,
I am the Northwest Regional Director for Overland Bound. @Gabriel Bozeman is your closest Member Representative.

Due to “Social Distancing” and “Shelter In Place” practices during the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have temporarily postponed group meetups, trail rides, and Campouts. Instead the Northwest Member Rep Team has incorporated weekly conference calls each Sunday at 7:30 PM PST (8:30) Mountain Time). A full list with scheduling can be found at Sunday Night Regional Conference Call

Welcome once again
Stay well, stay safe

Mike Rose
NW Director
Overland Bound

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Mary-Jane (@Travelin'trio ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.