Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
hey guys my name is Anthony and i live just north of Burlington, Vermont.
So i have a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, the Girlfriend has a TRD Sport and my sister has a SR+ that we have done a little off-roading with. We just started getting in to the overland scene and trying to learn everything we can. Ive done a bunch of camping but my GF and 2 YO daughter its all new to them. I have been hitting a bunch of class 4 roads in my area to find good trails to ride on.
Welcome to Overland Bound! Hope to meet you out there one of these days so keep an eye out for events going on in the East region.

Hey everyone I'm from the Salt Lake City, Utah area. I moved here from the East Coast about 3 years ago to explore the west.
I drive a 2013 Subaru Outback with some modifications to make it more capable on the trail.
I've been involved in vehicle based adventure as long as I can remember. Since moving to Utah I've been more involved with overlanding having spent a lot of time exploring the trails between Utah, Nevada, California, and Wyoming.

Here are some photos of my Subie:
Welcome! I always love seeing new Subaru members in the ranks. Please feel free to check out and introduce yourself in the Subaru registry. Link is in my sig.

mattgagnonphoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Montana, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7CYM
Welcome to Overland Bound! Hope to meet you out there one of these days so keep an eye out for events going on in the East region.

Welcome! I always love seeing new Subaru members in the ranks. Please feel free to check out and introduce yourself in the Subaru registry. Link is in my sig.
Thanks so much! Nice to see other Subaru owners here! I'll head over and connect with you all.

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Hello All,

My name is Rich and I live on the Western Slope of the Sierras. I did a bit of overloading before we had kids using a 2007 access cab Tundra with a Four Wheel Camper Fleet on it. I will post a pic below. Then we had kids and the extra cab was too small so we bought our current rig a 2008 Silver Tundra Crewmax and were doing the trailer thing. The kids are getting big enough that we can go back to doing some light overloading so I am starting to build out our crewmax for that. Nothing you can see on the outside so far but it has:

-A set of airbags in the back to handle the weight in the bed with an onboard compressor and switch and gauge in the cab.

- A 3" Toytech lift.

- Bilstien 5100 adjustables upfront. Just replaced both of them because I caught a little too much accidental air offload recently and blew one out :-)

-Hellwig sway bar in the rear.

- Linex bed liner.

Coming up I have a my medic myfak headrest mounted first aid kit coming and a gerber strap cutter / glass breaker. Also in the next month or so will be putting on some Falken Wildpeaks and reducing the wheel size from 20 down to 18 I think so I can air down.

I'm looking forward to being a member and finding some good easy trails to beautiful places to explore with the family!

Old Rig:
Black tundra at Prewitt Ridge.jpg black tundra with top popped.jpg

New Rig:

silver tundra and trailer.jpg Tundra.jpg

BcYeti2503

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
Member #

Hello All,

My name is Rich and I live on the Western Slope of the Sierras. I did a bit of overloading before we had kids using a 2007 access cab Tundra with a Four Wheel Camper Fleet on it. I will post a pic below. Then we had kids and the extra cab was too small so we bought our current rig a 2008 Silver Tundra Crewmax and were doing the trailer thing. The kids are getting big enough that we can go back to doing some light overloading so I am starting to build out our crewmax for that. Nothing you can see on the outside so far but it has:

-A set of airbags in the back to handle the weight in the bed with an onboard compressor and switch and gauge in the cab.

- A 3" Toytech lift.

- Bilstien 5100 adjustables upfront. Just replaced both of them because I caught a little too much accidental air offload recently and blew one out :-)

- Linex bed liner.

Coming up I have a my medic myfak headrest mounted first aid kit coming and a gerber strap cutter / glass breaker. Also in the next month or so will be putting on some Falken Wildpeaks and reducing the wheel size from 20 down to 18 I think so I can air down.

I'm looking forward to being a member and finding some good easy trails to beautiful places to explore with the family!

Old Rig:
View attachment 75133 View attachment 75135

New Rig:

View attachment 75136 View attachment 75137
Welcome. I owned a 2008 double cab limited before i had my tacoma. The 20s are ok if you go up to 35s but if you drop to 18s you can get the 285/75r18 which is a 35x11.2r18. if the only reason is for airing down you only gain an inch of sidewall between the two rims.

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Yeah I’ve been wondering about that but just felt that if I aired down with the 20’s I’d be way more likely to roll a beed than in the 18’s. Have you had success airing down on 20’s?

Reactions: BcYeti2503

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I was wanting to wait a little before I bought one, but I decided to pull the trigger anyways. From what I have seen from the Ranger launch events, the new trail control system and overall capabilities of the truck seem awesome. I get to drive them in December at our local launch events in Arlington (Dallas) and Fort Worth.
Lone star,
Welcome to this site. Hope you give us a review of the New Ford Rangers! Vance.

Reactions: LoneStarFlatLanders

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

ethan 1911,
Welcome, hope you enjoy this site and the great people here. Look up the Rally point section for your area. Should find and able to meet up with Members around you. Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Welcome. I owned a 2008 double cab limited before i had my tacoma. The 20s are ok if you go up to 35s but if you drop to 18s you can get the 285/75r18 which is a 35x11.2r18. if the only reason is for airing down you only gain an inch of sidewall between the two rims.
Just a simple generic rule to use on a off-road / on road, vehicle for tire and wheel sizes to use: Your wheels should be half the diameter of your tires. So, for 35” wheels, 18” or 17” wheels would work. 35”x17” is a popular choice and size. Brake rotors also dictate what size wheels you can use. I personally like as much tire between the wheel and road surface as I can for airing down. Vance.

Reactions: BcYeti2503

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Hello All,

- A 3" Toytech lift.

- Linex bed liner.

Welcome to Overland Bound. Prior to moving up to the PNW, I lived just down the road (49) from you in Calaveras County. You are in a beautiful area with lots of amazing things to see. The West Region Ambassador, @Kent R lives in your area, as do several other Overland Bound members. I recommend heading over to the West Region forums [link] and checking in.

By the way, that is a beautiful Tundra, but I am in agreement that moving to 18" tires is the way to go.

Bigcat2025

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Alexandria , Virginia
First Name
Demetrius
Last Name
Wren
Member #

Hello all,

I’ve been watching for year and finally decided to join Overland Bound. I haven’t gotten dirt on my new Jeep yet but have been all over in my old Jeep.

I live in Northern Virginia (NOVA)
Rig: 2018, Jeep, Grand Cherokee, Trailhawk, Diesel
1999, Jeep, Grand Cherokee, Laredo, 4.7L V8
Overlanding Experience Background: Moderate

BcYeti2503

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
Member #

Yeah I’ve been wondering about that but just felt that if I aired down with the 20’s I’d be way more likely to roll a beed than in the 18’s. Have you had success airing down on 20’s?
Yes i have. But i was running 34" on stock rims.
Depends on what you are doing as to what you need the rims to be. My opinion differs from others as i tend to not conform and test myself to see what happens.
On a tundra minimum brake dictated rims from what i heard last was 18". So really its between the two.
I found the 20s handled the loads better for on road/offroad manners

Reactions: Drifterman

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound. Prior to moving up to the PNW, I lived just down the road (49) from you in Calaveras County. You are in a beautiful area with lots of amazing things to see. The West Region Ambassador, @Kent R lives in your area, as do several other Overland Bound members. I recommend heading over to the West Region forums [link] and checking in.

By the way, that is a beautiful Tundra, but I am in agreement that moving to 18" tires is the way to go.

Thanks Jedi, yeah you were not too far from me back then. I saw that Kent R does a meet up at solid ground brewery in Diamond springs I messaged him on that Rally Point and am going to try to go to the next one. The PNW is gorgeous. We did a month long road trip through BC this summer and on victoria island it looked like there wood be great overloading trips and in the Squamish area too. I'd like to check those out someday and they are a relatively short trip for you.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Just a simple generic rule to use on a off-road / on road, vehicle for tire and wheel sizes to use: Your wheels should be half the diameter of your tires. So, for 35” wheels, 18” or 17” wheels would work. 35”x17” is a popular choice and size. Brake rotors also dictate what size wheels you can use. I personally like as much tire between the wheel and road surface as I can for airing down. Vance.
Thanks for this rule of thumb Vance! As I was looking at it the 20's would be best on road, the 17's best offload so the 18's seemed like a good middle ground. What do you think?

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Yes i have. But i was running 34" on stock rims.
Depends on what you are doing as to what you need the rims to be. My opinion differs from others as i tend to not conform and test myself to see what happens.
On a tundra minimum brake dictated rims from what i heard last was 18". So really its between the two.
I found the 20s handled the loads better for on road/offroad manners
Thanks for the info!

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Thanks Jedi, yeah you were not too far from me back then. I saw that Kent R does a meet up at solid ground brewery in Diamond springs I messaged him on that Rally Point and am going to try to go to the next one. The PNW is gorgeous. We did a month long road trip through BC this summer and on victoria island it looked like there wood be great overloading trips and in the Squamish area too. I'd like to check those out someday and they are a relatively short trip for you.
If you end up in the PNW again, hit me up.

Jimmy Dale

Rank II
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Greenwell Springs, Central, LA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

Hello all, my name is Jimmy Nicholson and live in Baton Rouge, LA. I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler. I am working on acquiring all the Jeep Badge of Honors right now then continuing my bucket list. My ultimate goal is to take my family as far as I can drive in any given direction in North America then will move on to other areas once completed. Look forward to meeting everyone I can.